Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AURELIO: NOW WE CAN FOCUS ON EUROPE
Fabio Aurelio believes Liverpool can now afford to concentrate all their efforts on the Champions League with the race for fourth place all but won.
Liverpool's victory at Fulham over the weekend means they now need just one point to guarantee the final Champions League place - and even that won't be necessary if Everton don't win all of their three remaining games.

With Chelsea arriving at Anfield tomorrow night for the first leg of the semi-final, Aurelio is pleased all thoughts can now be focused on qualifying for the final in Moscow.

"I think the win against Fulham was a big result because it puts eight points between us and Everton and that probably means the job is now done," he said.

"But now we have to look to keep on winning so we can get as many points as we can in the league because there are still three games to go.

"The good thing about this win is it will make it easier for us to concentrate on the Champions League.

"Liverpool are in the same situation as last season but I missed those games so it means a lot to me to have a chance to play this time.

"The atmosphere last time was incredible and the players still talk about it today so hopefully it will be the same this time."

Aurelio was one of many players rested by Rafa Benitez at the weekend, although those who came in gave the boss food for thought as the Reds cruised to victory at Craven Cottage.

"The players who normally do not play came into the team and played really well and that is important for the squad and the team," he said.

"Competition for places is always good. It is what makes Liverpool strong because everyone knows they have to play well if they want to stay in the team.

"It also means we can trust each other and the manager can trust us because all of the players have shown that they can do a good job when they are asked to do so.

"It doesn't matter who plays, the important thing is that we keep on winning."

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fabio Aurelio may not play again this season after being ruled out for three weeks with a torn abductor muscle.
The Brazilian left-back was stretchered off in the second half of Tuesday's drawn Champions League semi-final against Chelsea following an innocuous challenge with Joe Cole.

Even if Liverpool do manage to get past Chelsea at Stamford Bridge next week, Aurelio would still face a race against time to be ready for the final on May 21.

Rafa Benitez said: "I have been talking with the doctor and with this kind of injury it usually takes a minimum of three weeks for the player to recover, so it will be very difficult for Fabio to play again this season.

"It is very disappointing because Fabio has been doing a good job for the team."
Bad Bad news, we are going to be stuck with Riise vs Chelsea.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucas Leiva has reflected on a promising first season at Anfield by declaring that the best is still to come. The 21-year-old midfielder, who arrived on Merseyside last summer after leavng Brazilian outfit Gremio, featured in 31 first-team matches for Rafael Benitez's side during the 2007/08 campaign.

By his own admission, it has not always been an easy transition from the playing fields of Latin American to those of the Barclays Premier League, but it is one he believes he has slowly got to grips with and he is hopeful the experience will put him in good stead for next season's campaign.

"I really enjoyed my first season with Liverpool," said Lucas.

"To play 31 games for a club like this in your first season is something I am proud of because it is not easy to adapt to football in a new country.

"I did not play any games in the first three months because I was still adapting to the style but now I feel much more comfortable on the pitch and, hopefully, next season will be better.

"English football is completely different so I needed to learn quickly. I spoke a lot with Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano because they know what it takes to play in my position in England and they helped me a lot.

"I tried to do the right things and to learn from them because when you have players like them around you it makes you feel more confident.

"I think I got better as the season went on because at first I did not go forward as much as I would have liked. I was adapting and I wasn't that confident on the pitch. But as the season went on I improved and hopefully next season will be better."

While the majority of Rafael Benitez's squad are now enjoying a well earned rest, Lucas could well find himself playing throughout the summer.

The youngster has been included in a massive 74-man preliminary Brazil squad for the forthcoming Olympic Games in Beijing, a selection that could see him miss the start of the Premier League season.

The Games run from August 8-24 and, if selected as expected, Lucas will miss Liverpool's opening league fixtures as well as qualifiers for the Champions League.

He said: "It is very difficult because no-one likes to miss games for their club. But the Olympics is very important in Brazil and if I want to play in the World Cup games then I cannot afford to miss this tournament.

"But if I do go then I will pick up more experience and hopefully I will also develop as a player and that would be good for me and for Liverpool."

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Great Professional
Jamie Carragher. A man hailed by all and sundry for his honesty, down-to-earthness and professionalism.

Even the great Stevie Gerrard said so in March: "It's a wonderful record for Carra to have and I'm sure he will go on to break even more records in the future because he is a top professional who always looks after himself and who always gives 100% in every game."

Interesting. What then, to make of the following excerpt from Honest Carra's autobiography, as serialised in The Daily Mirror today, in which he discusses former Liverpool teammate Rigobert Song:

'He strolled off to all his French speaking friends and began talking to them. I could see him pointing towards me while everyone was grinning. It was clear what he was saying and the rage inside me simmered.

'Later, Song walked on to the training pitch with a smile on his face. He was limping off it with a grimace an hour later. The first chance I got, I did him. Never have I hunted down a 50-50 tackle with greater appetite

"You're not f***ing laughing now are you, you soft t**t?" I said as he hobbled away.

'Did I care he had a knock? No way. I don't remember him or anyone else in the squad for that matter trying to take the **** out of my ability again.'
:proud: Legend, not letting anyone take the piss. If someone done that to gary neville he would of ran to ferguson " :cry: people are talking about again, their saying am shite :cry:"

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Torres, Gerrard both will be out of their national teams due to their injuries

can someone list our international players who will play for their teams this week?

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Yossi's playing for Israel tomorrow against Switzerland..

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
mascherano will play in argentina against mighty Paraguay, hope he doesnt pick up an injury those paraguayans are butchers.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Carragher: Defeat for England hurts less

In Carra, My Autobiography, the 30-year-old wrote: "Whenever I returned home from disappointing England experiences one unshakeable, overriding thought pushed itself to the forefront of my mind, no matter how much the rest of the nation mourned.

"'At least it wasn't Liverpool,' I'd repeat to myself, over and over.

"Defeats wearing an England shirt never hurt me in the same way as losing with my club. I wasn't caring or indifferent, I simply didn't put England's fortunes at the top of my priority list.

"Losing felt like a disappointment rather than a calamity."

·
Registered
752 Posts
Carra is coming out looking like a tosser, especially the "i had to call my mates off doing in Lucas Neill(after he broke Carra's leg) because me mate Davey Thompson was with him".

Shutup and play football, not to mention he's already made the derby more emotional and has the Bluenoses planning things already.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
skrtel scored an impressive goal, i liked players celebration with him after the goal. ;)

thank you shemsi. :)

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Carragher blasts 'ruthless' owners

Jamie Carragher has slammed 'ruthless' Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, saying he has been sickened by their broken promises.

Writing in his autobiography, Carragher accuses the American duo of buying the club solely to make a profit and he is unhappy they have failed to keep their promises of building a new stadium and pledging money for transfers.

Carragher hit out at the pair after it emerged that Hicks and Gillett could already have profited by nearly £100million each.

"For richer or poorer, we'd sold Liverpool to two ruthless businessmen who saw us as a money-making opportunity," said Carragher.

"They didn't buy Liverpool as an act of charity; they weren't intent on throwing away all the millions they'd earned over 50 years...They wanted to buy us because the planned stadium offered a chance to generate tons of cash and increase the value of the club.

"Think how many world-class players that £200million could have brought to the club. Instead if Gillett and Hicks did sell, they or their banks would make a huge profit. I felt ill thinking about it."

Carragher said the owners' worst mistake was claiming no debt would be put on the club's balance sheet but the loans used to buy the club created annual interest payments of around £30million.

"Breaking this vow set the first alarm bells ringing, the embarrassing continual changing of the stadium plans was irritating too," added Carragher.

The long-serving defender also had sympathy for the pair, however, saying Reds boss Rafa Benitez must take some of the blame for the turmoil that surrounded the club last season for publicly undermining the owners over transfers.

Following the 2007 Champions League final defeat to Milan, Benitez called on the Americans to invest more on strengthening the team and Carragher claims the Spaniard's outburst was the root of the infighting at the club last term.

"These words sparked a chain reaction that brought problems into the open, almost cost (Benitez) his job a couple of months later, riled Liverpool's owners into an ill-fated meeting with Jurgen Klinsmann, and ended Hicks' and Gillett's honeymoon with The Kop," added Carragher in Carra: My Autobiography.

"I understood why the owners were unhappy with him too. They'd been undermined by Rafa and now they were undermining him.

"It was a political rather than football battle, and although the fans wanted to see it in black and white terms, with the owners the bad guys and Rafa their hero, I saw far more shades of grey."
Carra has a lot to say now days, does not hold back. Loving it

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Bit daft if you ask me!! Rafa would have no problem moving him on if Carra's words perhaps crossed the line.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts