Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a topic about players that used to be good but then joined some sh!t clubs and lost the reputation or just sucked on old days.

* Geoge Weah: world's best player in 1995 then couldn't take a place for teams like Chelsea and most of all Manchester Sh!tty.

* Dejan Petkovic: believe it or not but this guys was actually good some years ago, but failed in spain and failed in italy and moved to brazil....then ppl lost the respect for him.

* Robert Prosinceki: one a great player, but after joining portsmouth in english div 1 it can be discussed.

* Youri Djorkaeff: A king for Italy, but kings doesn't join teams like Bolton.

* Jesper Blomqvist: great in sweden, sucked in both italy and england and now even released by everton.

* Karl-Heinz Riedle: used to be good, but later played in english div 1 with fulham.

* Hakan Sukur: scored like 30 goals a tear in turkey, then moved to italy for the second time and proved that dominating in turkey is a peace of cake compared to serie A.

* Davor Suker: was good but lost it the latest few years, should have retired after quiting spain.

* Roberto Mancini: i liked this guy and still do, but why the hell did he join Leicester after been retired for a year just to make 5 crappy mathces?

* Winston Bogarde: has the record of failing in 3 big leagues...

* Finidi George: Why did he join Crapwich?

* Nicolas Anelka: this crybaby hasn't been good since his arsenal days.

* Thomas Helmer: Joining Sunderland for a few games and better wages was a bad move.

* Christian Karembeu: Just sucked constantly lately, im glad we won't see him in the wc.

That's enough for now, if you got some other players to add, do som, ciao!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Pierre Van Hooijdoink came very close to retiring 4 years ago, after he threw everything away. He scored 26 goals for Celtic in 1995/6, moved to Forest, where he scored 12 free kicks in a season, and then went AWOL. After about 4 months, of no-one knowing even where he was, he surfaced at Vitesse, and started scoring goals again. His career total stands at a staggering 262 goals in 416 club games, and another 10 in 27 games for the Netherlands.

·
Registered
48,470 Posts
Nasty Nick, your post was good and original, but I think that there is a difference between a 35 years old player (or more) and a 25 old player (or less). So I think that players like Weah or Mancini did not degraded themselves so much.... many old players finish their carreer in that way.
Stoichkov played in Kashiwa Reysol, Chicago Fire (perhaps he still plays there, I don't really follow MLS) and in Saudi Arabia I think. I remember that Bettega ended his carreer in Toronto Blizzard, Tardelli in a Swiss team (Lausanne or San Gallo? I'm not sure), Massaro in Shimizu S-Pulse, Schillaci in Jubilo Iwata, ....

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I dont really understand how these players have degraded themselves. i mean, to move to a poorer club as one grows older is nothing to be ashamed of, these players obviously play for the love of the game and want to continue playing for as long as possible. To me, that is an admirable quality.

People who have really degraded themselves are Eric Cantona, Ruud Guillit etc.

:D

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,503 Posts
* Youri Djorkaeff: A king for Italy, but kings doesn't join teams like Bolton. *

I NEVER liked what he did for Inter....So to me he was more like a commoner and not a king .

;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think that Nicholas Anelka still has a lot of skill, some of his displays since joining Liverpool have been impressive. It's more his attitude which undermines him and stops him from performing consistently.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
mutu1875 said:
I dont really understand how these players have degraded themselves. i mean, to move to a poorer club as one grows older is nothing to be ashamed of, these players obviously play for the love of the game and want to continue playing for as long as possible. To me, that is an admirable quality.
:D
I totally agree.
I guess you have to add Zidane in the list some time in the future because he has revealed that he'd like to end his career (which I hope lasts as long as possible) in a Japanese club ;).

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps some of you don't get the original message. A player like Djorkaef for example was among the better players in the world when he played for Inter which is a world team, but now he plays for one of the weaker sides in EPL, that's what i call degarding himself. Other examples are players that dominated for one club but then started to suck in the next one. Japan and USA shouln't be mentioned here since it's mostly oldies who join the leagues for higher wages and weaker competitors.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
OK, let's use the example of Djorkaef. He could have sat in the Inter reserve team for the rest of his career, picked his huge pay packet every week for not playing, but he didn't. He decided he would rather play football every week. I doubt very much his wages increased as a result of his move, so i dont really see your point. Is it somehow wrong for a player to move to a poorer team so he can play first team football? If, so why doesnt everyone just reitre at 25?

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's double standards :rolleyes:

Champions don't degrade themselve to such a low level playing for crap clubs like Charlton, Fulham and Bolton. Would someone said that Djorkaeff would be playing for Bolton in 1996 people would have laughed.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
This is quite an interesting and at the same time a very controversial post:cool:
I completly agree with mutu1875's views. a great player ending his career with a relatively poorer club doesn't mean that he has degraded himself.
I am voting for Aeriel Ortega of Argentina. I was very impressed by his qualities during the last WC. but after that he vanished into thin air. Although his name is mentioned now and then.

I may be wrong on this matter about this particular player but according to me he has not done justice to his talents. a thumbs down for me.

Ciao

·
Registered
48,470 Posts
Roberto Baggio in Brescia showed to all the Italian people that he is one of the best Italian players (and Brescia in Italy is a poor team...).
I think that a player degrades himself if he shows that he is useless even in a poor team.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Josep Guardiola. He was one of the biggest names in European football, and, when every club in the world, seemingly, was chasing his signature, he goes and signs for Brescia. Fortunately, after the drugs ban, and subsequent furore, he has come to his senses, and hopefully will leave Brescia now that his contract has expired.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't think Djorkaeff has degraded himself. He helped save Bolton from relegation in the end. And i don't think van der Saar has either. I don't like Fulham but with the millions they spend they might have a chance of getting into Europe next season. Other good players have joined them too like Malbranque and Marlet.

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Didn't Pele go to some US team and how you are making it sound if a great player goes to a smaller club they degrade themselves, I totally disagree with that. Players that have degraded themselves are players that have done disgusting, disrespectful things in football not players that just want to keep on playing becuase they love the game so much

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Dusan_UK said:
Didn't Pele go to some US team and how you are making it sound if a great player goes to a smaller club they degrade themselves, I totally disagree with that. Players that have degraded themselves are players that have done disgusting, disrespectful things in football not players that just want to keep on playing becuase they love the game so much
yeah i agree with that
Also players that have immense talent but waste years of their career, because of drink or drugs 'degrade themselves' to me anyway - and i include greats like Maradona and Best in that bracket :(

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Colocolo, I wonder if you even saw Djorkaeff with Inter? ;) Now, when he had his prime with Inter he was the King in France too. The number one playmaker. :) Until Zidane took over that role.

Djorkaeff was with Inter the brilliant playmaker that was behind most of the goals. He either scored them or assisted them. It will take a long time before Inter can produce such a talented player that can make such an effort for a team. He also refused to leave Inter for another Serie A team and has for many years now rejected a potential move to another Serie A team. That shows some loyalty.

He scored 14 goals in his first season with Inter. Then scored 9 goals the second season and finished it off by scoring 13 goals in his last season, before moving because Lippi practically forced him out of the team.
He scored that many goals by playing as a playmaker or a support striker.
I would like to know how many assists he made too, but I couldn´t find those statistics. :(

You may not like what he did for Inter, but the Inter fans sure as hell does. :)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I agree that Djorkaeff played well when he was with Inter, and it was a pity to see him go.

I think it was really a pity that Veron went to Manure. I wouldn't say outright that he degraded himself, but he didn't quite fit in there, and would have been better off staying in Serie A.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.