Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History repeating itself but for the best or so we hope

As i watched the rerun of the second half i noticed a remarkable similarity to 2 seasons ago under Capello. If you recall we reached the stage where absolutely nothing was going right. Capello was playing a negative formation. players were hitting the bench for absurd reasons and some just waited at home. players were ostracised away from the squad. media pressure and the no-hopers were out in song. yet the cheesey cliche of a motto drummed up by some of "Juntos Podemos" (together we can) seemed to resonate with the players.

as we reached the final stage of the 06/07 season tactical disorder continued. player indiscipline was ever present. their coach was playing game on game and schuster was already hired with the way he spoke about our club. you wouldnt know who was really running the club. and before yesterday there was a real sense of de javu.

but then you saw an attitude never seen in years. 90 minutes were actually 90 minutes plus injury time. 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go meant there was 10 minutes to go, not 1-0 down.

there was this verve, this vibration, this virility amongst the players to play against the odds. it's when we begun seeing comebacks. its when they threw out what capello told them and played for each other. they'd read the capello manual in the first half, rip it up at half time and come out like men possessed in the second. each goal celebration would have made inzaghi blush. there was this feeling a coup d'etat against management who were planning for the season after, who've already shunned away half the players, who've already read the rights to the man supposedly in charge, who've already sold their souls and begun wiping their asses with the badge.

which brings us back to last nights second half performance. raul was dropping back into defence to get the ball. higuain was at left back starting attacks. Gago was kung fu fighting his way to the ball. Ramos martyred his way to try and get a touch to a ball that was never his. robben was playing like he's been in the side for the last 3 months playing every week.

the players have spoken. they came out in the second half and played for the shirt. 3 losses in 4 matches is a wake up call and then some. a coach who doesnt believe his players, la liga champions, have a chance against a team who have been in the top flight for seasons that can be counted on one hand is disgraceful. the fans knew it and now the players are showing it.

it really is now just a matter of pride. we can all believe that players join the club and sing from the same song sheet telling us what an honour and privilege it is to play for real madrid, but in the back of their mind there's an inkling of truth in this. and if there isnt, then there are 80,000 people willing to remind them where they are and who they're representing.

so when all is said and done, lets keep the faith in the 11 men on the field and forget about the monkey trying to steer the ship. im sure i wasnt the only one enamored by the passion they showed to claw their way back into the game. although we wont win la liga, atleast we've got the players who wont be disgracing the shirt early in december when there is five months of football left. and for that it makes me proud to support this club.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
I admire you optomism but when all is said and done and even after this gladiator like performance you speak of, we still came short.

The last couple of months under Capello is long gone, we need to move on.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I admire you optomism but when all is said and done and even after this gladiator like performance you speak of, we still came short.

The last couple of months under Capello is long gone, we need to move on.

Redhat said:
although we wont win la liga, atleast we've got the players who wont be disgracing the shirt early in december when there is five months of football left.
doesnt matter what we achieve, as long as we dont see slouching around and the maximum being given you cant ask for more

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
It may sound stupid, but somehow I am tired of this fighting, I don't want my team to become some kind of Liverpool. What I really miss is the absolutely superior Real Madrid, which can toy with it's opponent for 90 minutes. Of course I love the players for giving their best and the management has to be blamed.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
History repeating itself but for the best or so we hope

As i watched the rerun of the second half i noticed a remarkable similarity to 2 seasons ago under Capello. If you recall we reached the stage where absolutely nothing was going right. Capello was playing a negative formation. players were hitting the bench for absurd reasons and some just waited at home. players were ostracised away from the squad. media pressure and the no-hopers were out in song. yet the cheesey cliche of a motto drummed up by some of "Juntos Podemos" (together we can) seemed to resonate with the players.

as we reached the final stage of the 06/07 season tactical disorder continued. player indiscipline was ever present. their coach was playing game on game and schuster was already hired with the way he spoke about our club. you wouldnt know who was really running the club. and before yesterday there was a real sense of de javu.

but then you saw an attitude never seen in years. 90 minutes were actually 90 minutes plus injury time. 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go meant there was 10 minutes to go, not 1-0 down.

there was this verve, this vibration, this virility amongst the players to play against the odds. it's when we begun seeing comebacks. its when they threw out what capello told them and played for each other. they'd read the capello manual in the first half, rip it up at half time and come out like men possessed in the second. each goal celebration would have made inzaghi blush. there was this feeling a coup d'etat against management who were planning for the season after, who've already shunned away half the players, who've already read the rights to the man supposedly in charge, who've already sold their souls and begun wiping their asses with the badge.

which brings us back to last nights second half performance. raul was dropping back into defence to get the ball. higuain was at left back starting attacks. Gago was kung fu fighting his way to the ball. Ramos martyred his way to try and get a touch to a ball that was never his. robben was playing like he's been in the side for the last 3 months playing every week.

the players have spoken. they came out in the second half and played for the shirt. 3 losses in 4 matches is a wake up call and then some. a coach who doesnt believe his players, la liga champions, have a chance against a team who have been in the top flight for seasons that can be counted on one hand is disgraceful. the fans knew it and now the players are showing it.

it really is now just a matter of pride. we can all believe that players join the club and sing from the same song sheet telling us what an honour and privilege it is to play for real madrid, but in the back of their mind there's an inkling of truth in this. and if there isnt, then there are 80,000 people willing to remind them where they are and who they're representing.

so when all is said and done, lets keep the faith in the 11 men on the field and forget about the monkey trying to steer the ship. im sure i wasnt the only one enamored by the passion they showed to claw their way back into the game. although we wont win la liga, atleast we've got the players who wont be disgracing the shirt early in december when there is five months of football left. and for that it makes me proud to support this club.
Yeah and all that is also because your team was trophyless for 5 years and they gave it their all.The situation now is not as desperate as that and Barca also wont be as laidback as they were.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It may sound stupid, but somehow I am tired of this fighting, I don't want my team to become some kind of Liverpool. What I really miss is the absolutely superior Real Madrid, which can toy with it's opponent for 90 minutes. Of course I love the players for giving their best and the management has to be blamed.
YES YES YES. We are Real Madrid and I am realy sad couse lately giving it all was enough for most of the fans. But thats never enough. I could give it all for Real Madrid and woudn't want a cent in return. Everybody can give their best but thats not enough, not when your playing for Real Madrid the best club of all time.

Thats why i hate ppl who praise Raul or anyother player who has been invisible in a certain game.

Givin it all is simply not enough. Its nice to see it but it certanatly not enough when your a player of Real Madrid.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but you have to put everything in context and for the players its an uphill battle at the moment. injuries, long term and frequent ones are destroying us. robben has been back one match and now hes suspended.

crying over things and wanting the impossible i.e. playing beautiful football, is going to lead to nowhere.

Santi Segorla (spl) from Marca wrote a very interesting piece today which mimicked my view on things. he basically said the club needs calm. deflect attention away. we have our own problems with injuries and some players not performing, so things like the coach doesnt expect to win against getafe and barca, or calderon close to getting kicked out, or calderon and his conspiracy theories are not going to get us anywhere.

so its upto the players to lift themselves. powers within the club seem hell bent on destroying the club itself.

only at real madrid (and barca i guess).

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I gotta give Reddy some love for that post, thanks man. And I am with you by the way. I can't understand these reactions.

That fight yesterday was impressive. It wasn't just effort but it was beautiful to see. I can't see how anyone can compare it to Liverpool. The fact is that when Real Madrid puts in that kind of fight, it's always beautiful to see as it translates to beautiful football.

I don't know how much of a chance we have in the Camp Nou, but if we can have Robben somehow and we put in the same fight as we did in the second half, then we're going to give the Cules a good fight.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
but you have to put everything in context and for the players its an uphill battle at the moment. injuries, long term and frequent ones are destroying us. robben has been back one match and now hes suspended.

crying over things and wanting the impossible i.e. playing beautiful football, is going to lead to nowhere.

Santi Segorla (spl) from Marca wrote a very interesting piece today which mimicked my view on things. he basically said the club needs calm. deflect attention away. we have our own problems with injuries and some players not performing, so things like the coach doesnt expect to win against getafe and barca, or calderon close to getting kicked out, or calderon and his conspiracy theories are not going to get us anywhere.

so its upto the players to lift themselves. powers within the club seem hell bent on destroying the club itself.

only at real madrid (and barca i guess).
Our management was guilty of the opposite but has been amazing in many ways.It is in perfect health and unlike Manchester United who are brinking on LBO debt but with a good team though.

Barca have the perfect mix of home players and cheap bargains like Yaya Toure which were golden signings and if Henry continues decent for a year and moves to Miami even he would have been a great transfer with lot of returns.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
That fight yesterday was impressive. It wasn't just effort but it was beautiful to see. I can't see how anyone can compare it to Liverpool. The fact is that when Real Madrid puts in that kind of fight, it's always beautiful to see as it translates to beautiful football.
One has to be completely masochistic to deem it beautiful to have heart-spasms; I would say that it is a rather heart-warming, pride-inducing sight yet it has no relevance with the notion of being efficient with their possession, style or their play. I prefer the synergy of that fighting spirit with a certain type of attacking football that now seems ancient.

As I have written months ago, we have only one element that will, in some degree, save us: willpower, and we saw that (albeit in the 2nd half) in action.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
You gave a good good fight and even a scare to the Sevilla boys who narrowly escaped from the defeat and gained 3 points but the thing is, at least about Sevillas two last La Liga games, that their second half performances have been really awful with players getting tired and they have given up the control of the game. Against Barca they did it and also against you they managed to do that.

Not taking away anything from the fight your players gave though as imo you deserved at least a point.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
One has to be completely masochistic to deem it beautiful to have heart-spasms; I would say that it is a rather heart-warming, pride-inducing sight yet it has no relevance with the notion of being efficient with their possession, style or their play. I prefer the synergy of that fighting spirit with a certain type of attacking football that now seems ancient.

As I have written months ago, we have only one element that will, in some degree, save us: willpower, and we saw that (albeit in the 2nd half) in action.
Was our 2nd half fight of players beating people off the dribble, cross it in, hitting 2 posts and scoring 2 goals in a matter of minutes not beautiful and efficient?

I for one enjoyed it every much.

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
Was our 2nd half fight of players beating people off the dribble, cross it in, hitting 2 posts and scoring 2 goals in a matter of minutes not beautiful and efficient?

I for one enjoyed it every much.
Of course it was nice to watch, we're always dangerous when we attack like that, but the point is that all our players are attacking, there are no real roles, everyone fights as much as he can and that's why we're extremely vulnerable in counter attacks. When we desperately need a goal it seems like we don't have a real plan, we just send all our players to the opponents box and try to do something. Our games are very entertaining because we are able to score many goals, but also because we conceed many. I want my team to be structured and to keep the ****ing ball even when we're leading.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
That's true Rahzzy. There will never be a defensive system with Schuster and we all know that. But I just want to point out that this is and should be Real Madrid's style of play. To score more goals than our opponent. We have never been a defensive oriented team (maybe except for the last couple of years). But even then we weren't that good at it. Real Madrid's most entertaining and best years came when we had full out attack and didn't let the opponent breathe.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
The players had back then Capello to push them and install the winning mentality.
What do they have today? a coach that goes in public and announce we are going to loose next week? as sad as it sounds, this 2nd half was a glitch, and not winning for sure didn't help their confidence.
I don't expect any change until Schuster is gone.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I think you are misconstruing my point: All that you have described came after conceding three goals in the first half in the Bernabeu, and certainly gave the Madrid players a purpose, or an alarm to instigate a near-comeback. I would consider that to be a result of a lack of efficiency slightly remedied only because we woke up a little too late.

Heart-warming? Yes. Beautiful? Not really.

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
That's true Rahzzy. There will never be a defensive system with Schuster and we all know that. But I just want to point out that this is and should be Real Madrid's style of play. To score more goals than our opponent. We have never been a defensive oriented team (maybe except for the last couple of years). But even then we weren't that good at it. Real Madrid's most entertaining and best years came when we had full out attack and didn't let the opponent breathe.
Yes, that's what I want as well, but right now the team pushes for the goal and after that they give the ball right to the opponent, who equalizes. Finally we switch to the all attack mode. I'm tired of this. It can't go on like that.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
In conclusion, our defence sucks regardless.

So I would rather see us give everything we have in attack to make up for it. And we showed we can do that yesterday.

And in my humble opinion, it was beautiful.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
well the second half at least shows theres still life in the team and morale. We should never loose it. Those days of Galacticos we may have played with the opponents but it depended on the form of a single superstar. We dont have these now, so only fight and a coherent team is our chance. We started fighting back, but the coherence on the field must still be proved.

Yesterday showed that one half fight is noth enough against a team like Sevilla plus a cule ref. If we want to reach anything this season, we must be concentrated much more and from minute ONE especially defensively.

We must reach at least the first 4 this season! Because to not play UCL in the season in that we have the final in the Bernabeu would be horrible!!! :scared:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.