Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too early:
Ronaldinho is the perfect example. Raul too. I have a feeling C.Ronaldo will belong to this group soon. Chivu was absolute class at Ajax and during his first season with Roma then became nothing more than average defender with glimpses of briliance everytime and then.

Too late:
Luca Toni, he was a nobody until he was 28 or so.

Any other examples of either groups? Players who got their career going down because of injries are not included ala Nesta, Ronaldo etc..

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His last useful performance was 4 or 5 seasons ago when he was 26-27. He used to be the perfect striker in his early years.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
His last useful performance was 4 or 5 seasons ago when he was 26-27. He used to be the perfect striker in his early years.
But how is it better to be mediocre until you're 23 and then go strong until 30? Because 30 is a nicer number? What difference does it make? If he had peaked later he wouldn't have beaten all those records.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But how is it better to be mediocre until you're 23 and then go strong until 30? Because 30 is a nicer number? What difference does it make? If he had peaked later he wouldn't have beaten all those records.
:googly:

okkkk.. make your own conclusions and then argue against them as you want. I didn't say or hint for anything of what you mentioned above. But I feel you think playing crap when you are only 29 is fine by you.. so it is not even worth disucssion.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Well you say that players peak too early, so implied in that is the claim that somehow it's bad to be successful early. Which is a claim I don't see any justification for. If anything, it's good to peak early because the worst you can do is waste your later career. But at least you've had that success at some point, unlike players who either never have it or have it so late they only have a couple of years of it (Toni is a good example).

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imagination as I expected. No body claims anything other than your mind. It is merely an observational thread for a phenomena that is out of the norm.

Not that we can't argue against your claim that it is ok to peak early then suddenly transform to a shadow of what you were as a player but that isn't the purpose of why I opened this thread. So please go ruin another thread if you wish.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
You don't understand the language you're using then. If you say something is "too big" or "too expensive" or "too late" you're implying that it's supposed to be less big or less expensive or less late.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes, "too" means out of normal but doesn't necessarily mean good or bad. Only in your imagination maybe.

X player peaked too early. Means in comaprison to what usually happens to his peers in similar cirumstances. Is it a good thig or bad thing? That is totally a different discussion that can't just be raised based on the mention of "too".

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Nedved peaked pretty late. But he was on fire when he did, so it wasn't that bad.

Can Rooney be counted in this group?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts