Xtratime Community banner

Players highly regarded that you dont like?

3K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Pirlo2006 
#1 ·
I'm just curious to see what players that are highly regarded by media, coaches or fans that you don't want to see playing for the Azzurri period, or at least not starting?

Gagliardini - Don't want to even see him getting called up
Bernardeschi - Overrated but could play a role from the bench. As a starter I would much rather see Chiesa, Florenzi or even Politano though to be honest

These three will hopefully never be called up again but you never know. I wouldn't be surprised if Di Biagio calls up all three for the March friendlies:
Candreva
Parolo
Eder

#2 ·
you have to be careful to not be too categorical with these players. guys like eder are not great but they have little competition. same with candreva. the midfield is also thin right now and parolo is a more direct midfielder.

I would say all the wingers: insigne, berardi, bernardeschi, el-sha are not world class, so we have to make sure we don't rely too much on them.

#5 ·
I'm just curious to see what players that are highly regarded by media, coaches or fans that you don't want to see playing for the Azzurri period, or at least not starting?

Gagliardini - Don't want to even see him getting called up
Gagliardini isn't even highly regarded by media any more. The bluff is over. He must thank Atalanta and Gasperini for making him look much better than he was.

Bernardeschi is a good choice. Hyped to the stars. At under 21 level he was an obvious choice (but not so obvious for Di Biagio). At the highest level he has a lot of competition from players who are in my opinion better than him.
For the same reason Candreva should never be an option, but with Di Biagio you never know. He is ad interim luckily.

#14 ·
Gagliardini isn't even highly regarded by media any more. The bluff is over. He must thank Atalanta and Gasperini for making him look much better than he was.
To be fair his first few months at Inter were very good/promising as well. Maybe he had an extreme run of good form or something. Or maybe Inter just ruined him.

#6 ·
Bernardeschi. Been saying it for years that i saw nothing special in him. he's very, very arrogant and not very good.
Gagliardini looks like a poor mans tacchinardi but like everyones mentioned, his lie has been exposed.

Berardi is pathetic and he has no interntional future. To think some people compared this guy to an all time great like arjen robben. That is so laughable. Berardi is actually SLOW.

#13 ·
De Scgilio is finally being phased out too. I saw what coaches failed to see..i didnt see a guy that was ever worthy of first team football at a top club
Over 6 years at Milan at 300+ matches total the team played he featured at barely 40%, let alone start. Fans talked about him, good or bad, more than coaches.

#12 ·
Verratti has declined a bit IMO. He was a better player 2-3 years ago. No excuses other than unprofessionalism. He smokes a lot which in this day and age puts you at a disadvantage too.

Italian players SUCK. It's quite simple. They suck but because they are italian they think by default that they cant suck

#16 ·
Bernadeschi has been highly effective for Juve, not much starts or playing time, but aslong as he played more then the useless 5-10 minute subs, he has had a goal or assist in every appearance (all games recently except Tottenham he has assisted or scored).

Not allways too actively visible/attention grabbing but low key efficient in the final third. Basically a quality playmaker on the wing, who just doesn't make hopeful high crosses but intelligent through balls and penetrating low feeds across the goal.

Allegri been super patient with him and he barely played first half of the season (despite doing work in little minutes), but it seemed to been smart because he looked lazy in defence and off tune with the rest. But since 2018 he looks locked on and effortlessly finds solutions for us consistently. Higuain loves playing with him so far.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

#17 · (Edited)
Is Berna really that hyped up in Italy? Maybe its just some biased crap like Toni living in Torino and local journalists and fans brainwashing him.

If we talk world wide, i cant really think anyone else but Verratti who is highly regarded. Maybe, maybe Insigne. Maybe.

Come on noone is regarding the likes of DSC or Gagliardini highly.

Verratti for sure if starting to fit this description though. Again, where was he against Real? And then remember last season against Barca. And i repeat, when did he put in a wc performance for Italy.

#23 ·
Uncalled for. Poor guy gets over month injury just when he taking step up and earning a starting spot slowly but efficiently.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

#26 ·
Federico Bernadeschi has 5 goals - 6 assists in 863 minutes. A goal or assist every 78 minutes.
Paulo Dybala has 17 goals - 5 assists in 2068 minutes. A goal or assist every 94 minutes.
Gonzalo Higuain has 18 goals - 3 assists in 2655 minutes. A goal or assist every 126 minutes.
Juan Cuadrado has 4 goals - 5 assists in 1405 minutes. A goal or assist every 156 minutes.
Douglas Costa has 3 goals - 6 assists in 1557 minutes. A goal or assist every 173 minutes.
Mario Mandzukic has 7 goals - 3 assists in 2240 minutes. A goal or assist every 224 minutes.

Most effective player in the team to the result. He is been worth it so far considering he has been quality in minimum playing time.

Both are worth the 40m, especially in this market that sum is mid level. Douglas Costa will be better for Juve when he figures it out and has more to his arsenal, but Bernadeschi has been more direct and effective winger lately because he is a better playmaker and is more involved in the final third on the right wing (just watch his assist style, through balls to timed runs, instead of just hard hopefull crosses), plus his style of cutting in from the right is dangerous weapon to score with, while Costa tho much more unstoppable individually, seems out of control most of the time and doesnt know exactly how to use his supreme speed and skill. He got the pk vs Tottenham (as Berna got the other one), but challenging his opponent head on, but over a game he doesnt do that often enough (barely had any shot vs Tottenham, while Berna made Lloris sweat with 2-3 attempts) and tends to dissapear, because he doesnt seem to know what to do when he isnt running with the ball (but basically unstoppable when he gets going). While Berna doesnt need to run with the ball to effect the game (vs Torino, Dybala came on and Berna immediately gave him 2 open chances he missed).

P.S If both healthy, I still prefer Costa starting with Gonzalo and Dybala, but you act like there is a vast difference when Berna been bit better past month or two.

#28 ·
Dembele cost like 140m, he is younger then both these players, but hardly proven much yet. Thats HOW this current market is right now.

#38 ·
Yes and no. For the top young players that are super-hyped and tracked by the very biggest clubs (such as Dembele and Mbappe) you get the crazy transfer figures. Especially if the EPL or Real/Barca are involved. But outside of that there is clearly a different market.

Take Calhanoglu as an example, who costs a little over half of what Juve paid for Bernardeschi. They're both 24 year olds that loosely fit the mould of modern attacking utility players (neither pure 10's nor pure wingers).

#32 ·
Pogba. Don't understand it. He's very physical on the ball and tries to make things happen but I just don't get the hype. It's probably his age. Once he matures, he'll probably get better.

In regards to Italian football, Gagliardini has been a horror show at Inter the last 6 months. I'm hopeful he can find form but he has been quite poor has to be said. I also don't get the hype about any of the Italian fullbacks and these "next Maldini" labels. Until a full back can become a captain for Italy and play occasionally at center back and win everything there is to win, they need to stop comparing fullbacks to Maldini... who's in a class of his own.

One player who I think is really underrated, to flip this on its head is Allan at Napoli.

Reactions: ToniSamp
#41 ·
yeah, no one can qualify us to the world cup in 2018.

Ohh wait, you meant Qorruptar 2022! Well, if I look at the teams of Iceland and Sweden they aren't exactly filled with talent either yet they qualified to the next world cup (2018) so it means that all we need is leaving out the players who are on the way down and call up the ones who are at least in brilliant form, such as the same Bernardeschi, no matter whether we are not talking about world beaters. A crop of in form Italian average players with the right coach could do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.