Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which player and why?

My pick : Roberto Carlos.

Left back was always a weak spot and I don't think you could do much better then having two absolute legends such as Roberto Carlos and Javier Zanetti as your fullbacks for the better part of decade.

·
Registered
16,521 Posts
Patrick Vieira, because he went on to have an immense spell at Arsenal, one of the best CM/DMs in the World around the turn of the millenium. We could have really done with a centre midfielder with his quality to build a team around during those years. Our loss was Arsene's gain, and at a bargain. £3.5 million. It was the first of many great signings by him. Chapeau.

·
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
2,465 Posts
Styg, those guys were small change compared to the generation of Kluivert, Seedorf, Davids, Litmanen, De Boer etc.. you sold a few years before.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Carrick. He could have made the difference in the last seasons under Jol, instead man u got him and won the title..
Do you really honestly think he was the major cause of Man U winning the league?I don't have anything against MC,but I doubt he really made the difference.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
Indeed, 67m or not, Zizou will allways be Zizou, and allways sad to depart with him. Extremely disheartening despite the huge improvement to our team his funds brought us.

And even if Baggio's decline after he left justifies the sale, it was still unfortunate to depart with a player that was that insanely great for us.

And Zlatan cant compare with the above two at all, and there were alot of mitigating reasons to sell him, but its still regretful to depart with a great young player like him.

Can mention the likes of Henry or Vieri, but they werent ready when with us and it happens in a big club like us you are impatient with players. Not much you can do. But IMO Vieri was more regretful then Henry, you saw the promise of his profilic ways with us briefly, and then to sell him off so he can rapidly blow up and go to close rivals.

·
*the drum drum*
43,492 Posts
Tuncay Şanlı, Stephen Appiah, Marco Aurélio . . all mistreated to the point of walking out.

Nicolas Anelka, fucks sake he isn't a right winger. He only played a handful of games upfront.

Pierre van Hooijdonk, his exit was wrong on too many levels. He was left out of the match squad for his final game because Christoph Daum is a ****. Yeah left that one censored, I don't like that word.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
This should be a Parma specific thread. :moan:

Gilardino, Adriano, Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Crespo, Chiesa, Dessena, Cigarini, Rossi, Rosina, Bonera, Budan, Veron, Zola, Frey etc etc etc etc.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Cambiasso for me. and for free as well. i always rated him, poor guy use to come on as a sub and hed fight and run his ass off, but remained so calm. not many rated him, but i really thought he had a future if we gave him half a chance.

Eto'o was a good shout by HM as well. wasnt it enough he use to come to the Bernabeu with Mallorca and embarrass the living shit out of us. no its not so they went and sold him to Barca.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Stam. I was gutted when I woke up on a Sunday morning, checked teletext for the latest news and the headline read 'Stam On His Way To Lazio'.

Ferguson himself has said it was a mistake.

Other than him I can't really think of too many players who've left and go on to greater things or become greater players with other clubs. I'm sure someone will correct me.

I suppose a player that was on our books at one time would be Peter Beardsley. Made one appearance in the League Cup then went on his way.

Paul McGrath might be another. He went on to do fantastically well with Villa but he's not really one to be bothered about.

Best leaving the club at the age of 28 was a shame but he had his problems.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Other than him I can't really think of too many players who've left and go on to greater things or become greater players with other clubs. I'm sure someone will correct me.
Yeah United have been very clever in that hardly any players have left United to go on to better things. Giuseppe Rossi is the obvious exception though.
A few years ago I remember they did a survey about the top 10 players who did better for themselves after leaving United. Jonathan Greening came third.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts