Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bit early -- with two more games left. But I feel pretty firm about these ratings and I doubt they'll change after Arsenal and Charlton.

Barthez - 7 - some appalling mistakes cost us a few crucial games but he saved us a few times as well

Blanc - 7 - a better second half showed us his true class

Silvestre - 7 - showed some good flashes, should be even better next season

Gaz - 7.5 - solid, really one of the most consistent players all season. With him in against Leverkusen, maybe things would have ended better

Johnsen - 7.5 - He was solid for us when he wasn't injured

Brown - 6.5 - His injury makes rating him a bit hard but he can also do with more experience. Unfortunately got caught out when Fergie had finally settled on a back four

Phizza - 6.5 - Outscored his brother this season but has some weaknesses that exposed us against better quality opponents. A good utility guy with a good attitude. We should keep him.

Veron - 6 - I've been a critic of him all season. I know he's got oodles of talent, I just haven't seen it enough to feel he's earned his place in United's squad. But for what talents Veron has, to keep him and to play him in the right position, we should be so honored

Giggs - 7.5 - Showed flashes of brilliance such as against Depor. Would have gotten an 8 but he's been a bit lethargic lately.

Beckham - 8 - Too bad he went out for us at the most critical point this season. He was really hitting his stride. At points he seemed distracted by NT responsibilities but really is showing himself as a world class midfielder

Scholes - 7 - Again, flashes of brilliance. Started the season slow but picked it up. Was a bit unsettled by Veron's arrival, I think

Keane - 8.5 - He earns his captain's band yet again. His presence on the pitch wins matches and there is no doubt, ever, to his commitment on the pitch. This guy gets stuck in and rarely disappoints. He's a hardman that deserves his place in the Pantheon of football when he's done. Co-Man of the Season

Butt - 8 - Silent, solid contributor. He came in when we needed him to be a rock against some of the most dangerous wingers in the world. A truly unsung hero for United.

Ole - 8.5 - He's officially shed the super-sub tag. This guy's a goalscorer pure and simple. He really gave Ruud a run for his money in the goal scoring column and will only get better. He's no longer a secret weapon but United know who to go to when they need a goal

Ruud - 9 - Co-Man of the Season. He came in to United and was immediately a star. 8 games in a row with a goal. 30+ goal season in his first year at United. A year after coming off major knee surgery. Amazing. Ruud has been a fantastic acquisition and we can only hope for more of the same.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Barthez - 8 - Although he made some stupid mistakes at the beginning of the season, I feel he roceverd well enough!!

Blanc - 6 - I agree that Blanc improve a lot towards the end of the season, however, I wasnt too impressed by his overall performance this season.

Silvestre - 7 - I agree, he showed some good flashes. Some of his crosses to Ruud from the left were magnificently accurate.

Gaz - 8 - I feel he had an overall good season except for a few glitches in the first one or two games.

Johnsen - 6.5 - He was solid for us when he wasn't injured (I agree, however, his slip infront of the goalpost against the bayer game keeps on flashing in my mind)

Brown - 6.5 - Surely he is a great talent for the future, but he made some stupid mistakes throughout the season. eg some own goals!!!

Phizza - 6 - I dont have too much to say about him.

Veron - 7 - I feel he had a decent season. Maybe to some 7 might not be a just point for Veron. Maybe I am a bit biased. Veron is one of my favorite players you know.

Giggs - 8 - I feel Giggs had quite a good season, but I hope he plays better next season.

Beckham - 8.5 - Some people say that he did not have a good season. I beg to differ, I think he had a very good season and it was only unfortunate that he wasnt selected in the team of the season.

Scholes - 7 - Again, flashes of brilliance. Started the season slow but picked it up. Was a bit unsettled by Veron's arrival, I think (I agree)

Keane - 10 - Captain courageous, Captain Marvellous.....I shudder to think what is gonna happen to Man U once he leaves. Keane is Man U. Man U is Keane.

Butt - 8 - I never thought Butt was a very good player before this season. Truly he is one of Man U's unsung heroes!!

Ole - 9.5 - I think he had an excellent season. According to me, he was no less a striker than Ruud!!

Ruud - 9.5 - I would give Ruud a ten, but towards the end (especially in the Bayer game) he failed to impress me which was very upsetting as he is one of my favorite players.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
let's wait for roy to reveal the average ratings for this season some time next week, with a bit of luck.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Now that the league's gone we have to look for that second place.I'll wait till the Charlton game and then post my ratings.

Also Roy's keeping an average for the entire season.Dont know whether he's still serious about it but it would be nice if we could see who played well consistently all throughout the season.

D

·
0 Posts
Well I an't a Manure fan, but here's my opinion.

Barthez - 7
He has actually made some craking saves, but everyone doesn't remember great saves, but mistakes.

G. Neville - 6.5
Consistency, but the goals that Man U have leaked, have showed Neville out of position quite a lot.

Blanc - 6.5
I thought he was crap at the start of the season, but his performances of late have brought his mark up.

Silvestre - 7.5
I think Silvestre doesn't get the recognition he deserves, but anyway, he's been good.

Johnson - 6
Played alright when he played

Brown - 6
Jaap Stam made Brown look great, although he's been solid in some games, he has shown too much complacency for a defender. But he will be great in the future.

Phil Neville - 6
Has done okay and what has been asked for him, but hasn't been great.

Veron - 7
I think the press are tossers so I don't let them effect my opinion. I think Veron has played okay, he's maybe lazy. But I suppose if he wasn't bought for £28M no one would critisize him.

Giggs - 7.5
He has been important to Manure, when he performs, manure win. But hasn't played to his potential in many games I've seen him, maybe because the defenders aim for him the most.

Beckham - 8
I think a lot of people expect a lot from him, and might not agree with my mark. But I think he done great.

Scholes - 7.5
He's important to United, if Veron had not have come, he might of been better.

Keane - 9
Has put in a Roy Keane performance basically.

Butt - 9
I think Butt has been just as good to United as Roy Keane, definetely an unsung hero and his performances have deserved him a place in the national team.

Solskjaer - 8
Scores important goals as always.

Van Nistelrooy - 10
He's definetely exceeded my expectations, I didn't know he was such a class player.

[/b] Alex Ferguson - 6 [/b]
Why not rate the manager? I think his decisions at the start of the season were crap. Bad tactics, sold Stam and bought a midfielder that he didn't need. The players did the job and not Fergie. Tactical geneous? My ass

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
DeJackel do you mind f*c*in off, if your gonna insult United dont do it in here. And dont bother postin your ratings because to be honest i dont care what you think!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Van Nistelrooy said:
DeJackel do you mind f*c*in off, if your gonna insult United dont do it in here. And dont bother postin your ratings because to be honest i dont care what you think!
hes entitled to his opinion, and i agree with DeJackel....this year Fergie has been terrible, for one of the first times hes failed miserably in the transfer market, his tactics were awful (4-4-1-1, wat was that about)... the position manu have reached this season after a nightmare start is all down to keane and nistelrooy..i just hope ferguson doesnt lose it next year... also, his antics with the press was highly unprofessional...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think it's unfair to say that Fergie failed in the transfer market or that his tactics were badly chosen. I agree that perhaps his use of the 4-4-1-1 at Old Trafford in the first leg against Leverkusen was much more cautious than necessary and left Ruud out on a limb against a solid defense, but blaming Fergie misses the point. The players more often than not let him down.

To be able to welcome Seba Veron and Ruud (who no one can claim had a disappointing season) is a triumph for any club. Dwight Yorke scuppered a move for Di Canio which probably would have come in extremely handy in the second half where we were suffering for an offensive spark once Beckham went down.

Too many times the players this season just didn't play to their potential. Keane criticized the team at the end of the 2000-2001 season for being to lax in their approach to the game. I think the winning streak went to our heads and we thought we could just walk in against Derby, Middlesborough, and Bolton (the three most unfortunate dropped points of the season IMO) and win through sheer intimidation.

Man United cannot win, irregardless of Fergie's tactics, if injuries and dispassionate players affect our ability to play brilliant football on the pitch. Really, I think the last month has shown how important Beckham is to United. Our set pieces have sucked miserably since his injury and unfortunately there is no one else who can fill his position on the right as ably.

The defense must take stock of how poorly they played individually at points this year. Silvestre showed improvements but again messed up far too often for an international footballer this season. And unfortunately we could never put together a first-string back four consistently with the injuries to Gaz and Ronny Johnsen. They left Barthez exposed too often this season making his goal against stats look much worse than they should have been.

This season has gone from hopeful to quite sad in just four weeks. We now have to qualify for the Champions League in August after going so close. But one thing I'll blame Fergie for is thinking you could create and maintain two separate "teams" with two different objectives (the CL and the PL). It created the perception that one competition was much more important than the other and disrupted the team. He'll have to assess the players that can bring him both trophies next year because as Arsenal have shown, we can no longer take the PL for granted!

D

·
0 Posts
Van Nistelrooy said:

Oh sorry I don't rape Alex Ferguson everytime I get a chance. But I don't see United through rose tinted glasses like you do. Coz I an't a fan and to be honest I don't care what you think!

Anyway, it isn't all that bad. I think United are going to come back twice as strong next year. Just like they did in 1996, and 1999. But I think Fergie made a bad choice staying on.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
De Jackal,I think Van Nistelrooy was just pissed at you reffering United as "ManUre" in your post.You seem to do this pretty often and I ask you to show the team a bit of respect(in our forum at least).:)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Hmmmm......

Barthez - 7

Silvestre - 7.5

Blanc - 7.5

Gazza - 8

Ronny - 6.5

Phizza - 6

Brown - 6.5

Becks - 8.5

Keano - 8.5

Giggs - 8

Scholsey - 7.5

Veron - 7

Butt - 7.5

Fortune - 7

Ruud - 9

Ole - 8.5

Forlan - 6.5

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
K-2 said:
De Jackal,I think Van Nistelrooy was just pissed at you reffering United as "ManUre" in your post.You seem to do this pretty often and I ask you to show the team a bit of respect(in our forum at least).:)
Thats right! I dont mind anyone having their say as long as its sensible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts