Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Hard to argue with Jardel, but I'd throw Acosta's name in there somewhere. He's scored the key goals everytime Sporting has needed them. That's what you call clutch performance.

------------------
VIVA SPORTING!!!
FORZA MILAN!!!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Super Mario Jardel as always :) How much longer will this guy play in Portugal? He must really like it there.

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA!

L

·
0 Posts
Acosta, Acosta, Acosta.
Yup those are my top 3 choices.
And to think he probably would have never even played if Materazzi was still coach.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Player:

1.Jardel
2.Acosta
3.Enke

Coach:
1. Inacio
2. Alvaro Magalhães (Gil Vicente)
3. Manuel Jose (Leiria)

Team of the Year:
1. Sporting
2. Gil Vicente
3. FC Porto (just because of their CL run)

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I agree 100% with Marcoa - his choices cannot be refuted.

BENFICA E O GLORIOSO!

·
International
5,629 Posts
Yes...For a Portista Marco is finally making sense...Agreed! Although I would throw Enke (he was hurt at the worst moment) out of the top 3 and put in Schmeichel/Beto.

Most exciting player I've seen this year in Portugal goes to my man SABRY!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't really agree with these player of the year awards. All the players who win seem to have lucrative contracts with Nike/Addidas etc (Rivaldo, Beckham)

But i'll stop being an old grouch and say i agree with the choices but would like to add Vidigal to those mentioned. He's a great team player and you can argue he's been more important to Sporting than Acosta.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this is a bit late but I had to say this in my opinion fernando santos is manager of the year and porto are the team of the year.
Yes he may be second in the league but they are only a point behind and in the cup final now this so far is not as good as inacio and sporting but then you have to consider that sporting went out of the uefa cup at the first round o.k this hasn't got much to do with inacio coz he was only manager for the second leg but then you consider that porto played 13 games more than sporting this season to have got to the q/f of the CL, the cup final and only 1 point behind with quite a limited squad is a very good achievement just look at the other teams in the CL they all suffered apart from Man Utd and they all have much bigger squads than porto.
I would also like to add that rui aguas has been an amazing manager taking an almost certain relgated setubal team to a setubal with a chance of avoiding relegation, remeber they were 6 points adrift of santa clara at one point

[This message has been edited by SLB (edited 08-05-2000).]

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think manager of the year should be Heynckes.

His team are only 8 points behind Sporting and he's thrilled the league with his attacking football which has been a breath of fresh air.

You're right about sporting and Inacio.

All he's done is take a team who were in disarray, several points behind the 2 leaders. The manager had just been sacked after 5 games. The president and entire management had just resigned. The team were playing very badly and were under fire from fans and morale was at an all time low.

Since then they've hardly lost a match, climbed to the top of the league and reached the cup final. This from a club that inevitably had a culture of losing.

As for Santos, he's also been much better than Inacio.

He inherited a squad that had won the league 4 years in a row with little opposition. They are currently in 2nd place and unless results go their way will be the first Porto manager to not win the league sincs 1994.

He's also brilliantly guided his team to the cup final, superbly overcoming difficult ties against lower league opposition. They have had a much harder route than Inacio's sporting who had to go and win at the Luz against Benfica.

All in all

1. Heynckes
2. Santos
3. Pacheao

11. Inacio

What do you guys think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts