Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you may or may not know, the Lega Calcio has limited the amount of players a team may have in their squad for the Lega Pro competitions. (Known until this summer as Serie C1 and C2.) This is in reaction to the financial crises that saw Messina and Spezia go under this summer. The Lega Calcio believes that this will reduce the chance of clubs going under. This may or may not work, that's up for debate and its worthy of discussion, but that's also not the main point of this thread.

What I'm wondering is how this will affect the numerous Serie A and B clubs that send their youngsters on loan to lower league clubs. With squad limits, the number of players going on loan to the Lega Pro will certainly drop which could potentially mean many players who are too old for the Primavera but not ready for first team football will not get as much chance at playing time, which is crucial in that stage of their development. The obvious solution would be a reserve league like we see in England or other countries which at the very least would give players a weekly 90 minutes and a chance to break into the first team if they prove themselves. Also, with a reserve league I think the smaller teams could establish themselves better without having to rely on loans and co-ownerships which prevent a team that utilizes those methods of build a solid, cohesive unit that can compete over a number of seasons.

What are the thoughts of others on this situation?

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I agree a reserve league for Serie A and B clubs would be a good idea. Its not a terrible way to judge how a player is developing. For example I have seen many players over the years being developed through the youth and then the reserve league at Arsenal. Not all make it, obviously, but guys like Fabregas, Walcott, Van Persie, Flamini and so on all had to play possibly at least half a year in the reserve league before becoming Arse regulars.

And another thing, it is also better for some of the fringe players who do not get many games in the first team to have a reserve league tokeep them fresh and competitive for when called upon. Sometimes you can see players go a month or two without a game and then quickly be called upon and will obviously be rusty and sh!te and then the fans get on their back and thats how a career can spiral downwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts