Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hamilton Academical was one of the first British clubs who signed East European players. During the summer of 1971 they signed some former Polish Internationals. Is there anybody who knows from witch club the former goalkeeper Witold Szygula was signed. I think it was Zaglebie Sosnowiec.
I need confirmation of this info.

Regards.
Luc

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I found an article in the Daily Record which says Alfie Olek, Roman Strzalkowski and goalie Witold Szygula signed for Hamilton and that in 1971 1971 Hamilton were the first British club to sign players from behind the Iron Curtain. I think that is wrong though but I'll have to check. I'm not old enough to know first hand but my father in law is very knowledgable and will probably know.

There were clubs in Scotland signing Eastern European players before 1971 I'm sure. I'll try to get some information for you this week. I know Third Lanark, who are now extinct, had a couple of foreign players and I'm pretty sure one was Polish. They went out of business in the 1960s so there were players before then.

Unfortunately Hamilton Academical don't have an official site so info is hard to find. Probably if you are looking for spcific information on Hamilton players of the past an unofficial forum would be your best bet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks a lot. Yes I saw same article on Internet. I was after the clubs of Witold Szygula for the seasons 1970/71 and 71/72. A collegue confirmed me that the Szygula played the season 71/72 for Hamilton. I'm practicly sure he came from Zaglebie Sosnowiec together with Strzalkowski, the other came from Gornik or Legia. I contacted the website of Zaglebie without any reply at all. There is also a website of Hamilton but I do not know if it's the official website. These guys were also contacted without reply.

Regards.
Luc.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The club doesn't have an official site unfortunately. The best, more up to date, unofficial site is Accies World. They also have forums so it might be worth while posting a message on there as there will probably some one who will know the answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
In 1947 Third Lanark signed a player from Poland named Feliks Staroscik. He was nicknamed "Starry" and was a nippy winger with a powerful shot. He transferred to Northampton Town in 1951.

Basically the info from the article is wrong and I'm sure there were more Poles playing in the UK in that perios too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts