Xtratime Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanna discuss how i think each Barca player has contributed this season. Sorry if this bores you guys.

[1] Victor Valdes: I actually think Valdes has been pretty good this season. One or two mistakes but he has saved us on numerous occasions this season and i actually do feel sorry for him when he is left for dead more often than not by the poor defensive play of the rest of our team. One of the players of the season.....though this isn't saying much the way we've played

[3] Gabriel Milito: Milito started the season as if he'd been here years and was excellent in my view for the first half of the season. Mistake free for the first half of the season Has been absolutely atrocious since the first Celtic match though and is a liability just like the rest of the defenders at the minute. The lack of cover he receives from the midfielders and wingers, as well as the full backs doesn't help him though.

[4] Rafael Marquez: Rafa was ok when he played this season. Sometimes he was good and sometimes he was really bad. Kinda like his passing he is hit and miss. I recall the Zaragoza match where he fouled Olivera for a penalty when there was no need to even tackle him. Idiotic at times. Injured at others. All our defensive players suffer from a lack of defensive help from the rest of the team though so that doesn't help them. I mean there is a huge difference between having "good defenders" and what one would consider "good defending". Good defending includes every member of the team, not just the defenders.

[5] Carles Puyol: Being our most important and best defender for the last 5 years or so has obviously taken alot outta Puyol. He has been poor all season and looks jaded out on the pitch. At times he looks lost and slow. He's not the only one who's looked bad by any means but considering what he is capable of then i'd consider this season a very poor one for Puyol. I don't think the fact that he has been playing at right back alot this season has helped either though.

[6] Xavi: To be honest i've been really dissapointed in how Xavi has played this season. He plays well when things are going Barcelonas way but when things get tough he tends to disappear and fades out of games, and due to his position in the team(central midfield) this allows other teams to overrun us in midfield and puts our defenders under alot of pressure. Brilliant player when he is in form but also lacks leadership in the middle of the field which doesn't help when things are getting tough..

[7] Eidur Gudjohnssen: Hasn't played too much but has shown some good form and ability during the season. My personal opinion though is that he isn't good enough for Barcelona and the reason i believe this is that he is too slow on the ball and holds up the play too much wheter playing up front or in midfield.

[8] Andres Iniesta: Iniesta has probably been our most consistent player this season and at times he has been brilliant. I really feel he should be more direct with his passing.....i.e. he should pass the ball to the forwards more quickly and cut out the sideways passing (which occurs all the time between him , Xavi, Yaya, Milito and the rest of the defenders) as much as possible. It would help if he could also get alot more vocal on the field and show a little leadership. Still, he's an excellent player and one of the best midfielders in the world in my opinion. He's showed how versatile he is too playing in a number of positions and he is usually effective wherever he plays (left wing, right wing, attacking midfield and defensive midfield)

[9] Samuel Eto'o: Injury and the African Nations Cup took a chunk outta Eto'os season but he still has 12 goals in 12 league games which is an excellent record. Still i feel Eto'o has been off form since he returned from the ANC and both his touch and passing have been considerably poor since then. Still, he always gives 100% when playing which is more than can be said for the majority of the team. Totally off form at the minute but at least he still scores goals!

[10] Ronaldinho: Patethic season from one of the greatest players i've ever seen play football. His attitude is terrible and i feel he is a bad influence on the rest of the squad due to the fact that they all look up to him, admire him and like him so much. He seemed to improve and up his workrate for a while but of course it was too good to be true. A terrible waste of talent if you ask me. And now with the added extra bonus of faking injuries so he doesn't have to play(if newspaper reports are to be believed). Disgraceful!

[11] Gianluca Zambrotta: What to say about Zambrotta? Well i can't really get my head around how we can turn seemingly world class full backs(see Abidal and Zambrotta) into poor imitations of what they were for their former teams and their national teams. To be fair Zambrotta has looked a bad player since he came to Barcelona. He's showed glimpses of what he could've been for us but to be honest he has been torn asunder by almost everyone from Oscar Serrano to Rafael Sobis last weekend. He always looks awkward in possession to me.

[13] Pinto: Hasn't played at all so nothing to say about Pinto

[14] Thierry Henry: Comparing him to the way he played at Arsenal is like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiat Punto. His touch is terrible, his passing is very poor, he rarely makes clever runs behind defenders(always getting caught offside!) and never really beats any defender in a one on one situation due to the fact he has lost alot of his pace. He has had a few decent games but overall has been unbelievably bad for us. Poor signing(reminds me of the Madrid Galactico era) and doesn't really suit our style of play at all. Been a really poor player for us all season in my opinion.

[15] Edmilson: Hasn't played much this season but has usually been crap when he has. Played against Sevilla in the cup and had a decent game, he's still crap though. Clumsy, poor defensively and gives away lots of needless frees.

[16] Sylvinho: Looks better than Abidal going forward all season. Poor defensively though and often caught out of position which has been punished by many teams. One thing i like about him is that the always seems to try hard for the team and never complains if he is on the bench. Good team player and brings more attacking intent when he plays but i just feel we are usually wide open to fast counter attacks when he plays.

[17] Giovanni Dos Santos: Considering his great form in preseason Giovani has been a huge disappointment during the season. Hasn't played too much lately due to Bojans form and a few injuries but whenever he does play he looks clueless and never looks like he is gonna trouble the other team. Still he is very young so you can't really blame him when most of older experienced team-mates are equally as poor.

[18] Santi Ezquerro: Has he played this season?

[19] Lionel Messi: Excellent start to the season when he was almost unstoppable. Injuries are taking their toll on him though and he's missed alot of the last 2 or 3 seasons due to recurring hamstring injuries. When he plays he is usually the focal point of our team and although he can have the odd poor game he is usually our most important player. In my opinion he's started to not track back and help the defence as much as he used to during the last year(Ronaldinho's poor work rate rubbing off on him maybe??) and this is one of the major problems with our whole squad. Nobody is trying as hard as they should be.

[20] Deco: Deco has been off form for the vast majority of the last 2 years in my view and his injury problems this year haven't helped him play very much or very well for that matter. It's a pity because he is a very important for Barcelona. He looks like a shadow of the player who took Porto to the European Cup almost single handedly. Also doesn't score as many goals as he did in years past and his shooting has disimproved greatly since he got to Barcelona. Looks slow and lethargic when he has the ball this season and many feel his time at Barcelona is over.

[21] Lilian Thuram: Has played alot more this season than some would like due to injuries. His level of play is generally poor and he seems to have lapses in concentration at times. A few times he has looked the imperious defender he once was, but those moments are few and far between and in all honesty he contributes greatly to the poor defensive play of our team. As i said before he is being left in diffcult situations by the poor defensive cover provided by his teammates too.

[22] Eric Abidal: I really liked Abidal at the start of the season. He was like a machine when he first came to the club - so fit, quick, strong and good at defending. He maybe wasn't so good going forward but that didn't really bother me too much because he was so solid at the back. Fast forward to now and he is another player who looks a shadow of the player he was only few months ago. He looks physically weaker, he looks like he's lost some pace and he definitely isn't as fit as he was. This is one case where we can certainly blame the training methods at this club for the poor performance of a player in my opinion. It's sad.

[23] Oleguer: Hasn't played much at all this season. Injuries have kept him out for long periods and he has been out of favour too so he doesn't get playing time unless Barca are stuck.

[24] Yaya Toure: Yaya is the type of player we have been crying out for for years. A big strong central midfielder with a decent amount of ability on the ball. I think he has been fairly good for us all year. I like that he is willing to play through injury to help the team(looking at Ronaldinho!) and i also like the fact that he has adapted his game to play as a defensive midfielder for us when this is not the position he played before. While he has been pretty good at times this season he has also had his fair share of mistakes but overall he can be pretty happy with his first season in Spanish football.

[25] Jorquera: Played in a few cup games earlier in the season. I didn't see any of these matches so i can't really comment but the guys on xtratime were not very complimentary about his performances so i'll take it he was not good in the games he played!?

[27] Bojan Krkic: 17 years old so you couldn't really expect much from him at the start of the season, especially considering he is very small and lacks physical presence against big strong defenders. He has, however, proved to be an excellent player for us and only for him at the minute we would be in huge trouble up front. He shows confidence on the pitch - rarely looks nervous, harries defenders, is composed on the ball, he makes clever runs off the ball and his passing is usually very good and sometimes he is very creative. Has 8 league goals(1 more than Henry), is always around the ball and also always seems to be in the right place if the ball is going to appear in the box for a tap in. Very clever kid with a huge future in the Barcelona first team. Excellent first season for him considering he is so young and inexperienced.

I'm sure there are loads of things i forgot to talk about in regard to certain players and sorry if it's something really obvious.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,936 Posts
Agree with most of it. But this really brings me to the point that I feel is our major weakness in the last 2 seasons. Are we training enough? Everybody and I mean everybody seems to have lost atleast a yard of pace. The players are not sharp enough. And it shows in the way we play. The turnover from midfield to attack is awfully slow.

Is it the effect of Ten Cate's departure? Or just coincidence? But I totally believe that the backroom staff is to be completely blamed for our dip in form over the last 2 seasons. So many players are performing below par , it's unbelievable.Ronnie , Deco , Xavi , Marquez , Puyol , Abidal , Zambrotta , Henry. And although Iniesta and Messi have been the bright spots of this season , they still are not playing upto their full potential. Abidal and Milito who started the season absolutely flawless are also going through a slump. And even though Yaya has been great , he isn't as good as in the beginning of the season.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
[5] Carles Puyol: Being our most important and best defender for the last 5 years or so has obviously taken alot outta Puyol. He has been poor all season and looks jaded out on the pitch. At times he looks lost and slow. He's not the only one who's looked bad by any means but considering what he is capable of then i'd consider this season a very poor one for Puyol. I don't think the fact that he has been playing at right back alot this season has helped either though.
I think the fact that he missed the pre-season and our first few games through injury, and the fact that he was rushed back as soon as was possible, has hurt his form this season.

rochemback said:
[19] Lionel Messi:In my opinion he's started to not track back and help the defence as much as he used to during the last year(Ronaldinho's poor work rate rubbing off on him maybe??) and this is one of the major problems with our whole squad. Nobody is trying as hard as they should be.
The deficiencies in Messi's game are certainly Ronaldinho's fault, and you know what else? Ronnie was recently seen in Antarctica aiming a hairdryer at the snow. The bastard is melting the polar ice caps!!! :fero:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
The deficiencies in Messi's game are certainly Ronaldinho's fault, and you know what else? Ronnie was recently seen in Antarctica aiming a hairdryer at the snow. The bastard is melting the polar ice caps!!! :fero:
No need for ridicule.

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
Shouldnt you do this at the end of the season?? Useless thread. Players' contribution should be valued at the end of the season, would you be saying the same thing if Ronaldinho raises up his game and gets you through ManUtd? This thread is 2 months too early....

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
No need for ridicule.
I'm not at all trying to direct any more ridicule at Ronnie. The media has that pretty well covered.

Shouldnt you do this at the end of the season?? Useless thread. Players' contribution should be valued at the end of the season, would you be saying the same thing if Ronaldinho raises up his game and gets you through ManUtd? This thread is 2 months too early....
I've seen mid-season player reviews in a few different forums on XT. The forum is here to discuss football, and that's exactly what this thread is doing. It's not useless.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah whoever is in charge of fitness needs to be fired cause all of our players look unfit and slow and everything. It's sad how a humongous club like barca can allow this to happen.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
"Oh dear," what?
I found the statement a bit wearisome. The media is a cesspool of shite, but Ronnie is not exactly a victim.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I found the statement a bit wearisome. The media is a cesspool of shite, but Ronnie is not exactly a victim.
I find the incessant criticism of all things Ronaldinho a bit wearisome. And how do you know how much of a victim Ronaldinho is, or isn't, in all this? All the players, even Eto'o, who is known to have not always seen eye to eye with Ronnie, have been vocal about the need for people to get off his back.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
And how do you know how much of a victim Ronaldinho is, or isn't, in all this?
Nobody knows, of course, but I think there's a good chance it's largely his fault.

All the players, even Eto'o, who is known to have not always seen eye to eye with Ronnie, have been vocal about the need for people to get off his back.
That's because they're not stupid enough to say negative things about the biggest star of the team in public.

;)

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
I read some days ago that Ronaldinho in this season play more minutes only than Ezquerro, Edmilson and Oleguer. He'd be alone in Ezquerro category, if Edmilson and Oleguer didn't have long-lasting injuries. On second thought, Ezquerro had one too, but nobody noticed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts