Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many tips here on how to improve yourself but when you play don't think too much about it. All the thinking and practise should be done in your thinking time off the pitch or on the training ground. But even then you should try to get into a mental state where your actions just come naturally.

When your playing be on Autopilot, You've probably heard players talk about it before but trust me its so so important and makes the difference between a decent player and a good player.

Imagine your not in control of what your doing, You being controlled by some force thats pulling the strings and everything is coming automatically. Don't be scared to make mistakes, Don't even think negative thoughts but be intelligent with your play.

Follow this and you will see alot of difference in your game, Like the saying goes...

''Its all in the mind''

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Indeed. You see it really often with missed chances, where very often if a player has loads of time to pick his spot, he'll often miss because he has had time to think about where to put it. Likewise when the ball drops in a crowd of defenders, its usually a case of the ball drops - bang - goal - and it's all natural instinct. Your first thought is usually the best one. :smileani:

But also there's times where you should be thinking about your game. Like for instance when the ball goes out of play, maybe you'll think to youself "that right back isn't very good in the air, I'll try and get a match up against him next time a cross comes in" or something like that. To me that's smart, and you should be thinking about things like that every chance you get. See, you don't have to have a footballing brain like Dennis Bergkamp to play "intelligently".

But definately when you're on the ball just do whatever comes naturally.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats exactly it

When you are on the ball, Whether is defensively or in possesion. You can think what you want but when its time for action you have to just go with it. Let the thoughts come to you and don't rush and force something that isn't there.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Great post, a really true statement, Faisal.

I once heard Andy Gray say, "After a game I had scored in I would try to replay the goals in my mind, to figure out how I'd score them, but I couldn't work it out. It was just instinct for me to get into those situations and score those goals."

I find dribbling the time you have to be most instinctive, especially with tricks. It's that extra work on the training ground, where you develop something you'll do in a certain situation, that would happen from nowhere in a game. I realised this at our ODP tryouts here, I do roulettes all of the time to try to beat defenders, but during a game we were playing I had a man on my back, and I controlled with my left, pushing it to my right and spun around the guy while dragging it with my right. Afterwards, by dad said the coaches said it was 'perfect' and that it was fantastic. Yet I couldn't hardly remember doing it, much less how I did it or why I did it.

I also really like your statement about finishing, mutu. I find I finish better in a game when pressured than given lots of time, and it's because of this, I assume. When you get the ball and loads of time, all of your different methods of shooting, of dribbling, etc. etc. go through your mind, and you get caught in two minds and mess it up. Should I chip? Should I bend it? Strike it firmly? Dribble around? Nutmeg him? So many options. However, when you get the ball with no time, then instinct comes in from hours on the training ground, and you pick the finish you found was best on the training ground. You alternate brain kicks in, if you will.

This is one of the reasons free kicks end up in the net a lot less than you'd imagine, too. For as much practice as can be done, when you're out there a million things go through your mind. Should I bend it with inside or outside? Far post or near? Driven? Pass? Haha, it really messes with your mind.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Isaac do you play for a Premier club?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Play like Garrincha once said, "If you recieve the ball and have a chance, go for it. If you don't know what to do, pass the ball to your teammate."

Play with your own style, the way you feel comfortable. You dont have to shoot like Ronaldo to be accurate. If the ball is in the net, its accurate.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Isaac said:
I play for Missouri ODP and Springfield Soccer Club in Springfield, Missouri. Both premier clubs, why?
Just wondered because I know a kid named Isaac who played for AC Delco, one of the top Premier clubs in the country.

·
Registered
580 Posts
:thmbup:

You definitely can play without thinking. It's a feeling you can just get when you, the ball, the grass are all one, and you'll just be football. It's a great feeling too. I've gone on runs where I don't know what I'm doing but I just put my head down and make a hole through a bunch of players and I score a goal. Granted it was against a bunch of overweight 30 and 40 year olds but they clapped me on ;)

Definitely try to get yourself into this kind of mental state

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Man you know what I mean, Think but don't think to much when you have to do.

If you want to chip then chip or pass then pass. You don't just run like a maniac.

Im talking about the execution and when you are playing the game. Know what you are doing but don't worry and THINK to much about how you are doing it in and what might go wrong etc etc

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
It is all about the focus and concentration, when those are on top things Faisal mentioned comes natural. when I scored the best goal I scored I felt like I had been closing my eyes all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts