Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01/13/2004. French legend Michel Platini has come out in criticism of clubs who are in heavy debt, saying they should be relegated if they continue to spend without balancing the books.

The former Juventus hero specifically targeted Serie A leaders AS Roma and Catalan giants Barcelona, who continue to bring in new players despite huge debts hanging over their heads.

"I understand that it is difficult to say that Roma must go into Serie C, but it isn't right that there are clubs who try everything to control their balance sheets while others make only debts", explained the French maestro.

Platini also added, "It isn't right, for example, that Edgar Davids went to Barcelona, who have a few troubles and who had already bought Ronaldinho from PSG this season"

The Frenchman also went as far as explaining that he believes clubs such as Roma and Barcelona, and any other clubs which are in large amounts of debt, should be relegated, following the strict example of Le Championat in France.

"In France clubs who have big debts go to Division Three and can't buy players."

"It's too easy winning when you don't control debts and in the end we must decide on UEFA Champions League exclusions for those clubs who aren't respecting economic rules."

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Platini should shut up! Roma have enough assets in terms of players that we can sell if we were ever threatened to go into Serie C. Anyway, its doubtful we will buy many players this summer if any!!!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
nitsujamor said:
oh well....im sure Madrid will be sent to the third division in spain also
I think the Spanish Government pays for Real Madrids expenses. If so, there isn't much chance of that happening. :eek:

·
Registered
429 Posts
jeez, your all using his words out of context. he used roma as an example saying that a team with debt shouldnt be allowed continue in the highest league of their country. as in france, if a team has financial difficulty, it isnt allowed to register and is demoted. platini, simply used roma as one of his examples - he is not lobbying to get roma demoted. read the article and dont jump into judgement so rashly. i dont know how so many fail to see through shite like this...

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
sebastien said:
jeez, your all using his words out of context. he used roma as an example saying that a team with debt shouldnt be allowed continue in the highest league of their country. as in france, if a team has financial difficulty, it isnt allowed to register and is demoted. platini, simply used roma as one of his examples - he is not lobbying to get roma demoted. read the article and dont jump into judgement so rashly. i dont know how so many fail to see through shite like this...
Agreed. He isnt attacking Roma, just giving his opinion.

The article never said he WANTS Roma in Serie C, he just believes that something must be done about this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts