Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about the priorities for Euro Milan next year. This is not a joke thread between the 4 posters that post in this forum. I won't even mention the need for centre backs as this is of course needed and hopefully adressed. I and hopefully you too will discuss the less obvious things.

Firstly, I want to say that in this world you need FULLBACKS that are sick to win. This is especially true for a team that uses a formation like Milan's. I think to compete with what you see now in the CL, you have to be clinical and good crosses are a must. Zambrotta will have to up his game, Flamini will have to be consistent, etc. Maybe a first class purchase would do you some good in this department. Honestly the lack of pace of Jankulovski and Zambrotta might kill you.

Secondly, Milan needs the old Gattuso to cover A LOT of ground. If Gattuso is not on his A-game, Milan will suffer. I remember he was absolutely key in beating Man Utd and it would be the same necessity next year against those physically strong opponents. Personally, I am a little worried about this area of the pitch. Gattuso and especially Ambrosini might not be what they used to be. Flamini is not good enough to play the style of Milan midfield. Additionally, I'd look into buying a two-way midfielder for the other midfield spot next to Pirlo (kind of like Seedorf used to play, or Beckham now) if Beckham is judged not to be good enough, which is possible as he is a total defensive weakness. And here, I hope you have better ideas than naming the overrated cliché Portugueuse names who don't understand the game Milan will have to play.

That's it. I won't even discuss your forwards as the CB, fullbacks, and midfield need improving. With Kaka, Inzaghi, Pato, Seedorf, Ronaldinho, Boriello, you are totally fine up front. Get a good goalkeeper for good measure too. :cool:

·
Scudetto
23,383 Posts
Based on what Galliani and Ancelotti have been saying, the reinforcements will only be in defence and attack.

I distinctly remember Galliani saying back in January that Milan were looking for a left-back that can also play in the center and Ancelotti recently said he wanted a striker, but not necessarily a big man because we already have Borriello.

So our midfield is pretty much sorted, especially if Gourcuff comes back.

Weirdly enough Beckham is perfect for our formation as he fights for the ball and can "play" as well.

A slight alteration to my sig midfield, with probably moving Gourcuff up beside Kaka and replacing Ronaldinho with Seedorf/Ambrosini/Beckham, I dare to say Milan will be in Final Four contention next year.

Of course, people don't agree with Kjaer.. :shades:

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simply put that is not enough. If Gourcuff is in your plans to come back, that is ok but doesn't change the midfield part at all. You need someone to play alongside Pirlo and Gattuso. It's either Beckham or Ambrosini. One is super slow, TERRIBLE defensively albeit a hard worker, the other is no class maybe past it by far by then.

I'm happy they actually have the ambition to improve the defence and left back though. About time... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,312 Posts
The CL means 13 games, so if we have this team for the CL games, I think we can go all the way.

Abbiati
Flamini-Nesta-T Silva-Zambro
Gourcuff-Pirlo-Rino
Kaka
Pato-Boriello/R80

Gourcuff on the right so Flamini/Nesta(hopefully fit) can cover for him, and he can cross with his stronger right leg.

And if the reserve team is this:

Marchetti
Mattoini/Antonini-Bonera-Kjaer-Janku
Becks-Seedorf-Ambro
R80
Pippo-Paloschi(or a new strong striker)+Viudez

We will also might go all the way to winning the scudetto.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Milan should focus mostly on defense. Midfield is good, and will be better when Gourcuff is back. We need to get a young well established Serie A defender, preferably a left back.
Also a cheap striker, thats young, and doing good. I will go with my favorite choice Edin Dzeko, 12 million bid will get him, and his favorite club is Milan. He is a proven goal scorer, and can develop into better and better.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
a fit again nesta will be a big boost for us. I won't be comfortable with two new cb playing at the same time. Favall, senderos and boner aren't world class although they have been playing well recently.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
If we want a lb that can play in middle too that could be agger, but imo not good enough. Better than current options though. I like Taiwio of marseille.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
for sure an actual overlapping fullback, it brings our offensive options up by 100% and Pirlo's effectiveness by 100%. If we can have solid enough CBs that Zambro can bomb up or buy... who really?

Otherwise Milan will need to get lucky to contend, for sure but with Pato + Kaka + Pirlo + some dynamic movement around them Milan is a contender.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Football fans... lol... you're better of putting time and effort into something you can actually control.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
If Nesta returns, we'll do OK, if he doesn't we won't.

I agree we need a new wingback, but if Nesta does not return we would likely be playing two new CBs and that just doesn't work the first season. The attack is fine as it is. The midfield needs Gourcuff more than it needs Beckham

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
As much as I want Gourcuff back, we don't really need him.
IMO apart from a Flamini-Pirlo-Gattuso midifield we only have fill in players. Guess that is okay, not sure though how well that midfield would work or even if it would be played. Gourcuff could very well be that x-factor that Seedorf used to be, even if he possibly is better further up the field. In the end, the defense is of course obviously the biggest concern.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
On the midfield, as Johan said, we have Flamini-Pirlo-Gattuso, likely being backed up by Ambrosini-Seedorf-X. The X is either Beckham OR Gourcuff in my opinion and I prefer the latter.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
The new competitive teams in the CL are pretty fast, as evidenced by this years top 4.

I do think the game has shifted a bit since total EPL domination of the cup, so I do not think we can contemplate on going all the way. I think Quarter Finals and maybe a win against one of the top 4 best CL teams in Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Barcelona would be a good step in the right direction.

We won the CL with fast players on both occasions, Cafu, Serginho, Kaka, Shevchenko used to be pretty damn quick as well. If Gattuso has a monster campaign, Kaka, Pato and Thiago Silva play well, we may make it interesting. But the gap in quality from the Barcelonas and Uniteds of the world compared to our team is insurmountable in a year or even 2 or 3. DNA goes a long long way, but I think this are different with these 2 teams with all the talent and team cohesion in the world has seen since Milan in the early 90s.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
With a good market for the defence and maybe the addition of a striker instead of Shevchenko, Milan can have a really succesful team in Europe next year.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Keirrison from Palmeiras is what I want to see here, we have a good run with the hyped brazilian youngsters.

Our team is slower, and if our 'passive play' european syndrome kicks in (hopefully not after a year of seeing werder school us), not a chance we make it past the second round.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts