Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe Razor is the only one that can answer this?

Are there any predominatly Portuguese places to watch the game on Monday? Maybe just friendly to seeing Portugal win? I know the usual (i.e. pheonix landing and plough and stars) will be showing both live and replays. I fear Brirish retribution though. :)

Any ideas?

p.s. i keep hearing rumors that my beloved REVOLUTION are looking a, albeit aging, portuguese striker.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
You're right - places like Plough n' Stars will have the game, but it will definitely be a pro-England group. For CL, UEFA Cup and Euro 2000 prelimiaries, I just went to one of the Portuguese restaurants/bars here in Cambridge where they would broadcast the games during the afternoon here (EST) on RTPi. Unfortunately, I don't know if these clubs will shell out the $20 a game for the matches. I'll call a couple of them (Sunset Grill or Atasca) to see if they're offering them.

As a back-up - if you can't see it, I could always make you a copy on video tape and meet you somewhere to give it to you. Otherwise - maybe I'll head over to the Plough n' Stars and meet you on Monday afternoon. No one will mess with us - trust me.

Forca Portugal!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Wow, Razor. I didn't realize you were such a bad-ass.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and offer Razor. I would welcome the opportunity to have you "watch my back" for this game. (especially, since i'm a SCP supporter) I work in Winchester though, and I know I'll have to watch the replay in the evening, if I get to watch it at all. I appreciate the video tape offer too? I'm away for the weekend but I'll try to post something on sunday night if i figure out what i want to/able to do.

p.s. can anyone tell me if there was something behind those white unis portugal wore against wales? they had blue socks and black and gold trim. i like the old-school look but it was pretty far removed from portugal's maroon, gold, and green standard.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I'm a lover, not a fighter (but I'm good at what I do :))

Just write to me on Monday and let me know what your plan is. If you can't watch the match at night, I can meet you somewhere along 128 on Tuesday with the tape (if you can hold out that long).

FYI - the white uniform is the same color scheme they've been wearing during the Euro2000 qualifiers; the only difference being that this shirt is all white. The one they had during the qualifiers actually had navy sleeves with gold trim on the white jersey (like the red jersey with the green sleeves and gold trim). I actually liked that jersey better. They could go out in Hooters t-shirts for all I care - England's going down!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!

Can't believe you guys in the states hgave to shell out $20 per game to watch the Euro.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of the Portuguese clubs will have the game! Sporting behind burger king will have it! Where is Plough and stars? I know the Phoenix landing in Central square! Or you can go to the Thirsty Scolar (Irish owners) right on Beacon street down the street from Johnnies foodmaster! But I too can provide some back up myself maybe I can meet you guys at plough and stars!I'm a big boy myself and not just the english can fight! The more supporters the better!Ain't to many English around here just Irish!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Razor,

Soory it's taken so long to get back to you. After this long weekend in Maine I am swamped with work and consequently may be able to do nothing with regards to port. v. eng. In addition, I've been trying to get a hold of another guy. He's not at work (apparently out with the Portuguese flu:)) Thanks for all your offers. Perhaps, we can get together for one of the other games.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Portugal v. Romania

Hey Razor,

just decided to go see the game at the Phoenix Landing on mass ave. near Central Sq. If your in the area stop by and say hey. Hmm...distinguishing characteristics? I have brown hair, a small soul patch, and probably be wearing the molded splint for my broken finger. Maybe see you there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SPORTING

WHERE IS THAT SPORTING CLUB ( BEHIND MAC D'S DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME ) AND ON ANOTHER NOTE WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO HAVE A GOOD PORTUGUESE MEAL IN THE BOSTON AREA. MY PARENTS ARE VISITING ME JULY 4TH WEEKEND AND WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THEM OUT.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
He GOrevsOI!

I just read your post here. I live in Nashua, so since the game was on Saturday, I watched it at home (no cover charge:)). I only watched the England game at the Phoenix because I work in Kendall Square. I might be shooting over there again tomorrow for Germany. If I go, I'll be the 6'1" 240 lb brown hair guy with a dorky golfer's tan! Let me know if you're heading over tomorrow.

Oliveira - the Sporting Nucleo is beneath the McGrath-O'Brien Highway in Somerville behind a Burger King. The BK is across the street from the Bradlees shopping center.

As far as Portuguese restaurants in town - I'd say the best in my opinion would be Atasca. There are two now actually - the original (smaller) one is on Broadway St. in Cambridge. They've just opened a slightly bigger restaurant(which I can happily see from my office window) over on Hampshire St (diaognally across from the Coyote Grill/Cambridge Beerworks/Flatop Johnny's complex). It's the best. Sunset Grill on Cambridge St. would be my second choice for a meal, but first for watching a game in the bar (but no Euro2K games:().

Bulletproof's right - the local Irish aren't big fans of England here in the Hub of the Universe. Not too much chance of hooliganism. The Irish would kick their asses for messing up their bar!

Here's to Portugal nailing down all 9 points!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The Plough n Stars?? Any pub with that name has got to be Anti-English. The Plough and Stars is a particular symbol of the IRA from the War of Independence in Ireland. And if you think Irish footy fans cheer for England then I suggest hitting an Irish bar full of Irish lads for an England game.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You dam right them Irish hate the English! The Irish are pretty cool tho! I work in downtown Boston and I saw an irish dude the other day with a soccer shirt from celtic that looks like Sporting! I told him that and he wished the Portuguese the best as well as saying that Figo is the best in the world! He works at Hibernia in downtown and that place if your around there is a great place to watch the game! Remember when the Atasca resturant used to be the old Benfica club? Now it has the best Portuguese food around go figure! I recomend Atasca tho and when you go in the chef is a friend of mine his name is Val! Phone him first (cuz it's always packed) and tell him you know Vando and he should hook you up! You won't be disapointed believe me i know my Portuguese food!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts