1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That is really BIG, BIG, BIG match.

Venue: White Hart Lane, London

Tottenham Hotspur:

11th in the table. 29 games, 9 wins, 8 draws, 12 defeats. 54 goals scored, 47 conceded.

Chelsea:

3rd in the table. 29 games played, 19 wins, 7 draws, 3 defeats.

If Chelsea win they will be level on points with second-place Arsenal before Sunday's six-pointer between the two at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea played Tottenham twice this season. Chelsea won league game at Stamford Bridge 2 - 0 (goals came from Belletti and Wright-Phillips). Tottenham won League Cup final at Wembley. Chelsea took a lead from Drogba's free-kick but Berbatov equalized from penalty spot in the second half and Johnathan Woodgate scored with a header early in an extra-time.

Last season's corresponding fixture was dramatic. Chelsea took a lead from the most unlikely of scorers - Claude Makelele and had Drogba's goal disallowed. After that Spurs completed a come-back with goals from Lennon and Dawson and John Terry was sent-off. That was first (and only to the date) Tottenham's victory over Chelsea in Premier League's era.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
We play Tottenham midweek and then Arsenal in the weekend. I expect that either we will play the same squad for both games or Grant will completly rotate the squad for both games.

After their UEFA Cup Exit; Tottenham have nothing left to play for. We do; the difference in motivation should give us an edge. Should be a good game concedering that Tottenham matches are usually high scoring ones.

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After their UEFA Cup Exit; Tottenham have nothing left to play for. We do; the difference in motivation should give us an edge.
Yeah, but there is also no pressure on them and that worries me a little bit.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
After watching today's match against City; I would say that hasnt helped them. Infact Tottenham seemed to play better when the stakes were high.

·
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,512 Posts
last year it was dawson who scored one of the goals, not ghaly. Anyway, after today's match i really doubt that you won't walk over us.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Well European Football was secured for next season(something which didnt look going too well under Jol); You defeated Arsenal by a huge score line; Made it to an allright stage of the UEFA Cup and went out to a good team on PK;

From now on players won't be very motivated in most games; I'm thinking Ramos might actually experiment a bit more now and try to get those players who he thinks have a future in Tottenham playing together.

BTW is King going to play against us?

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I have a hard time thinking that our players won't be motivated after loosing a final to Spurs and needing a win to keep our slim title hopes alive.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
well yeeaaa...the two games this week are vital if we're thinking about making a serious title push. I'm sure the boys are preparing to give their ultimate to take 6 points.

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Pffff...I don’t know, this one just feels weird. I hope, and I pray that our players are extra motivated from that loss in the final. Because, playing like they did in that final and some previous games I think they aren't doing any good to the fans and to themselves, I doubt they want to look like amateurs. Something they have looked like in many previous occasions, which is a shame looking at their names. Also, just because they[Tottenham] didn't win today, it doesn't mean have to go into the match and hope we face the same side.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Cole: Chelsea poised to emerge from shadows

Joe Cole plans to creep out of the shadows and snatch the Premier League title from under the noses of Manchester United and Arsenal.

Cole's Chelsea have inched to within striking distance of top spot in recent weeks and could go level on points with one or both of their rivals with a win at Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night.

'We're happy in the shadows, lurking there,' said Cole.

'Now we're ready to build some good form and go on the onslaught.

'This is a great time for Chelsea.'

Chelsea have not lost a Premier League match in 2008, dropping just six points since losing 1-0 at Arsenal in December.

With the Gunners and United both yet to visit Stamford Bridge this season, Cole knows if Chelsea will almost certainly be champions if they win all of their remaining nine games.

'It is very tight at the top and the race is wide open,' the 26-year-old said. 'So we need to stay focused because this is the time when you can't afford to throw anything away.

'No-one on the planet knows who is going to win the league at the moment. It's just a case of making sure we keep performing.

'But I think we're hitting form at just the right time and, hopefully, this is the start of bigger and better things for Chelsea.'

Surprise defeats in both domestic cup competitions have left Chelsea with just the league and Champions League to play for this season but Cole believes the upsets against Tottenham and Barnsley could prove 'a blessing in disguise'.

He added: 'We've seen the best and worst of Chelsea recently but we need to make sure it's only the best we bring out from now on.'

Chelsea boss Grant to take Cech gamble

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech could be fit enough to return to first team action against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Wednesday.

Cech has virtually recovered from an ankle problem he suffered in training and should be included in manager Avram Grant's squad.

The 25-year-old goalkeeper said: 'I am fine and improving a lot every day so I should be back very soon.

'I am very happy with the way things are going.

'The injury [ankle] happened in training when I went to go for a cross and as I changed direction I slipped. I like to think I'm a good healer.

'Every time someone says I'm going to be out for a certain amount of time I always beat the deadline by a few days and weeks. advertisement

'I hope to do it again.'

Chelsea have no fresh injury worries but coach Avram Grant must decide whether to choose Nicolas Anelka or Didier Drogba to lead the attack.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Ohhh come on don't gamble on Cech ffs...

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Big big day boys. You know, it was exactly 365 days ago when we played Tottenham at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup quarterfinal? When Sheva scored that ridiculous goal from the tight angle. I know this because today is my brothers birthday, and I remebered Sheva's present to him last year :smileani:

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big big day boys. You know, it was exactly 365 days ago when we played Tottenham at White Hart Lane in the FA Cup quarterfinal? When Sheva scored that ridiculous goal from the tight angle. I know this because today is my brothers birthday, and I remebered Sheva's present to him last year :smileani:
Last year's March 19 was exactly 366 days ago. :pp

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
jeez, Woodgate headed in to make it 1-1 in the 11th minute. Missed the 1st goal, who scored for us? Cudicini in goal not Cech which was speculated. C'mon Chelsea!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Chelsea go back up 2-1 19th minute. :thumbsup: Sick goal from Essien, he nutmegged Drogba before finishing with top class :howler: Joe Cole once again shows a lovely piece of skill to set up the goal.
Great game so far with a fast exciting tempo to it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts