Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys confident of victory? I did you lot in my bet. Hope for a win :)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Uh oh, Filipe will be upset with this pathetic match thread Deano. :pp

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
You guys confident of victory? I did you lot in my bet. Hope for a win :)

And you did very well because I am pretty confident that we will win this one. :)

It is true that our display against Barca was far from good but we just have to accept that a Portuguese club nowadays can't really expect much more than trying to steal a draw at a place like Camp Nou. Of course I wished to have seen a much bolder and positive attitude from our players but, on the contrary to the fans of another Lisbon club, I don't suffer from chronic megalomania. :D

Anyway, back on tonight's game I do think we will win because we have started very well the domestic season (clearly beating Porto for the Super Cup, easily beating newcomers Trofense at home and getting a precious win at one of the hardest places to go in our league: Braga) and Belenenses didn't (very very poor game at Porto and a narrow draw home against minnows Pacos de Ferreira).

Furthermore, it has become a pattern that we always manage to recover after a defeat, at least under Paulo Bento's management, and that's what I think will really happen tomorrow night in Alvalade.

I predict this as our starting line-up:

Rui Patrício
Abel - Tonel - Polga - Caneira
Miguel Veloso
João Moutinho - Vukcevic
Romagnoli
Yannick Djaló - Hélder Postiga​

Subs: Ricardo Batista, Pedro Silva, Daniel Carriço, Ronny, Pereirinha, Rochemback, Izmailov, Tiuí.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
What happened to Adrien? :(

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
What happened to Adrien? :(
As far as I know, he is OK but he was not called for this game. Maybe PB should start using him a bit more but I think he'll have more minutes this season when compared with the last.

·
Registered
44,626 Posts
2-0.....should be a easy win for Sporting if Belenenses plays as in Dragao.

Belem club is in a mess right now.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent :) I hope the performance is as good as you lot say it will be.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Jose Pedro always has big games against the big teams, same thing goes for Silas. Wender will also cause problems as he always does down the left flank.

Belenenses' defense looks very shaky with the loss of Rolando and Rodrigo Alvim. The injuries to Sergio Organista and China will further hurt their chances, too.

I predict 3-1 for Sporting.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
My prediction of our line-up failed as Paulo Bento decided to field the same players that started against Barca with only one exception: Postiga will play intead of Derlei who is slightly injured.

Here's tonight's XI for the game that starts in 5 minutes at Alvalade:

Rui Patrício
Abel - Tonel - Polga - Caneira
João Moutinho
Rochemback - Izmailov
Romagnoli
Yannick Djaló - Hélder Postiga

Subs: Ricardo Batista, Pedro Silva, Ronny, Miguel Veloso, Pereirinha, Vukcevic and Tiuí.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
First 20' are gone and it's clear that Belenenses came to Alvalade only with one mission: to defend. And until now they've been doing it quite well. Sporting is having trouble in break this defence although Postiga already had a good chance.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Great work by Izmailov on the left, deadly amorti by Yannick and nice finish by Postiga.

1-0 after 33'

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Sporting 1-0 Belenenses at HT

Sporting did not have an easy first half mainly because Belenenses defended a lot and mostly well. After our goal at 33', Belém seemed to shake and in the 2nd half they will obviously need to change their attitude and open more spaces in the back.

Postiga has been very good and Izmailov too. Unfortunately the Russian was hacked by a Belenenses midfielder 5' from time and it seems that he didn't recover which means that there are strong chances that we will see Vukcevic returning to the team at the start of the 2nd half.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
2nd substitution for us at 67': Miguel Veloso comes in for Rochemback.

This is now how our midfield looks like:

M Veloso
J Moutinho - Vukcevic
Romagnoli​

1 - 20 of 26 Posts