Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you guys think has to lead Milan next season?
Pirlo or Rui Costa?

For me it's obvious.....Pirlo! 'nuff said! :devil:

·
Registered
43,410 Posts
It is actually a great question which I don't know the answer to ... and there are not many of these around :D ;)

Pirlo is the future and probably the present ... but what if we sell Rui to barsa or Juve (God forbid) and then captures his own form back and displays a brilliant season ...

Keeping them both could also be a problem as Carlo showed many times his pro Rui approach and it could mean another frustrating year for Pirlo ...

it is close to Baggio or DelPiero for the NT ...

I don't know really .. :confused:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I personally prefer Pirlo and Rui Costa. Just as Portugal can play Figo and Rui.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
all i have to say is wait until this coming World Cup....rui i believe is healed and just need to be in game shape....if he's in shape he'll show his form...

and with regards to Pirlo vs. Rui???? both....PERIOD

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Pirlo eyes legend status Friday 10 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrea Pirlo has revealed that he wants to write his name in the Milan history books.

The Under-21 international, currently preparing for the U-21 European Championships, has stated that he wants to become a Rossoneri legend.

"I want to stay at Milan for as long as possible because I love it here," he stated. The talented playmaker has struggled in recent seasons to prove himself at the highest level despite his undoubted potential.

Pirlo started his career at Brescia where he quickly caught the eye of Italy’s top clubs. Inter won the race to sign the starlet but his three-year San Siro stay was divided with loan spells at Reggina and Brescia.

With the Nerazzurri unable to guarantee the fantasista regular action he surprisingly signed for city rivals Milan last summer in a £10m deal.

And despite the arrival of Manuel Rui Costa, Pirlo did feature heavily in the second part of the campaign as the side secured a Champions’ League spot for next term.

"We managed to achieve that objective despite the fact that at one stage it seemed impossible for us to do so," added Pirlo. "We were rewarded for our belief that we could do it."

Milan chief Adriano Galliani has confirmed on a number of occasions in the past few months that Pirlo, nicknamed ‘Riverino’ after Milan great Gianni Rivera, will be kept by the giants.

channel4

·
Registered
19 Posts
for next season its got to be rui, hopefully he will stay injury free and perform like he did at viola! but i can only see good things happening for pirlo in the future because of his good displays on the pitch this season! i think milan have to play rui next year to justify paying £29 million for him! but after that i think pirlo all the way!

oh and good luck to Thomason for next season!

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
I'm giving my vote to Pirlo. He has shown that he can be a great player when given the chance to play and shine. The more he plays the better the will get, as he is young enough to continue improving. As kris has stated, there is really no reason that Rui and Pirlo cannot play together...however, Ancelotti's past does not bode well for his even trying it, so maybe the best would be for the Portuguese man to play elsewhere. Now I love Rui as much as the next person, and think he has been a great player (he has had such bad luck in the red and black, however), and will probably have a few more great years ahead of him, but if it's an "either or" kind of proposition, I'll go with the younger player.
RIO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rui all the way. when at form and not injured he is way better then pirlo and i mean way better. Pirlo is good but it will take many years for him to have the same skill as rui. and he might never be as good.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Watch Zidane or Riquelme at their best against our Rui Costa at his best.

What you'll probably find, very unpleasantly, is that Rui can't hold a candle to those two players.

Pirlo I don't know, I'm still essentially divided on why this insistence on a playmaker when our wingplay is basically sacrificed. Pirlo's a great ball-player but he hasn't got the tenacity and work-rate of a similar player, England's Joe Cole. Pirlo is probably more inventive with the more silken skills but a modern player should have to be able to do more than pass the ball and rearrange his hair.

·
Registered
775 Posts
RUI COSTA:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
JKris said:
I personally prefer Pirlo and Rui Costa. Just as Portugal can play Figo and Rui.
The problem is that Portugal can do that because Figo is wide player, so it fits in naturally. Pirlo isn't a wide player - he and Rui both play best in the centre of the pitch. If they were both to play we would also need a defensive midfielder and two wingers with Pirlo playing behind Rui (in somewhat the position he played in Brescia with Baggio). Of course this would necessitate a 3-5-2 formation, and I'm not sure if Carlo would do that. If we change formation we can play both, but if we stick with 4-4-2 I say give Pirlo the starting berth. Rui is a tremendous player but when you have a talent like Pirlo you can't let him rot on the bench. Milan have been at their best with Pirlo on th epitch this year, and given time he could become one of the top Italian midfielders. But he needs to play to fulfill this promise. I'm of the opinion that the future is what matters, Pirlo is the future. Which leads to the question that if Pirlo is the starter what do we do with Rui? Sell him, even though he will be superb with another team, and replace him with Dalla Bonna or Brighi? Or keep him without the guarantee of giving him first team football? A bit of a dilemma...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kijj said:
Rui all the way. when at form and not injured he is way better then pirlo and i mean way better. Pirlo is good but it will take many years for him to have the same skill as rui. and he might never be as good.
Way better than Pirlo????
Are you crazy????
Pirlo in his young age is already almost as good as Rui in his best!!!!! His vision, passings, dribbling ability, deadball specialty..... he'll be the future no 10 for the Azzurri.
I'm sure that Pirlo has the capabilities of being even better than Rui!!!!
Everytime Pirlo played for Milan he always outshined Rui!!!
Rui has more experience than Pirlo but why did Pirlo adapt quicker than Rui??????
And don't give me that Rui got injured crap, since his injury is not that bad and eventhough he got injured a couple of times still he played a lot more games than Pirlo; so obviously there's no excuse.
If it wasn't for Pirlo , well...let me put it this way: "If it was Rui instead of Pirlo who played in Milan's last matches, I'm pretty sure Milan will not make it to the 4th place!"
As it was evident enough that Pirlo was one of Milan's best players in the last 2 months!

·
Registered
793 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by mdelpiero10

And don't give me that Rui got injured crap, since his injury is not that bad and eventhough he got injured a couple of times still he played a lot more games than Pirlo; so obviously there's no excuse.
[/QUOTE]

Whilst the injury to Rui Costa may not have been as bad as e.g. Ambrosini, Inzaghi, Baggio etc (it wasn't ligament damage, or anything involving missing the most of the season) it was an injury that plainly bothered him all season, and from which he didn't recover. He got injured in the very first game of the season, and was rushed back - and even if the injury wasn't bad enough to stop him from playing it kept him at 70-80%, Then he kept getting injured throughout the season, and every time was rushed back by Terim and Ancelotti so never fully recovered. Because of this he was never at full match fitness, and his form dropped as a result. There was also the physchological effect of having so many injuries - it destroys your concentration. Rui is a great player, and if he didn't get injured at the very start of the season he would have proved that. If he can have a good off-season he will prove that next year. But Pirlo also proved this year he's more than capable. Right now, Pirlo is not as good as a fully fit Rui. Simply because he doesn't have the experience. But in 2-3 years from now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts