Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pires urges Cole not to leave

Robert Pires today urged Ashley Cole to reject any offer to move to Chelsea as the Premier League opened a formal inquiry into allegations that he was tapped up by the leaders.

If found guilty of an illegal approach, a breach of Premier League rule K3, Chelsea could be fined and docked points - a massive blow to their title ambitions.

Yesterday they were held to a 0-0 draw with Manchester City at Stamford Bridge, ending their eight- match winning streak in the league. They are still nine points clear of Manchester United.

The Premier League probe follows new evidence in a Sunday newspaper that appears to confirm that Cole did meet Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, chief executive Peter Kenyon and the agent Pini Zahavi at the Royal Park hotel, near Lancaster Gate, 11 days ago. Although League chiefs were reluctant to act, Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood asked Premiership chairman Dave Richards to act following the new allegations.

Cole, who is in negotiations with Arsenal about a new contract to replace the £27,000-a-week deal which expires in 2007, has emerged as one of Chelsea's major targets.

But Pires, who was himself a target for Chelsea when Claudio Ranieri was manager, today told Cole that he should stay at Arsenal where he will be able to challenge for major honours for years to come.

Pires said: "Everybody here is sure that Arsenal will once again be competitive next season with the young players we have at the club - and Ashley is one of those players.

"He has been at Arsenal for ever. He is a very attacking left-back and I think he is enjoying his football because at Arsenal he plays in an offensive team. I am not sure he will get the same pleasure at Chelsea, even though they are doing so well at the moment.

"I have built a fantastic playing relationship with Ashley. We play together so well - we could do it with our eyes shut. But you have to respect the decision of the player. Everybody has that right."

Premier League lawyers are expected to contact Chelsea and Arsenal to ask for their observations today before they set up a commission to investigate. Kenyon and Arsenal vice chairman David Dein are likely to discuss the controversy at a meeting of Europe's top clubs at UEFA's headquarters in Geneva today.

Chelsea issued a statement saying they would co-operate fully with the investigation, but Mourinho said. "I don't care about it. I'm a football manager, not a lawyer."

www.thisislondon.co.uk

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mourinho doesn’t care about Cole investigation

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says that he doesn’t want to hear about the Premier League’s enquiry into allegations that the West London club tried to tap up Arsenal defender Ashley Cole.

The Sun Newspaper say that they have proof that Mourinho and Peter Kenyon met the Arsenal defender at a London hotel but Mourinho doesn’t care about the allegations.

Mourinho says that the allegations don’t effect him at all and he doesn’t even want to know what’s going on.

Chelsea could lose league points if found guilty but they should escape serious punishment after Villa got away with illegally approaching striker James Beattie receiving only a reprimand from the footballing authorities.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
Arrogant bastard, he can deny it, but he definetly wants cole, and if he offers 25-30 million, then that wont be so bad, but i hope he stays.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Think of it this way: we don't have to sell Ashley. He's an Arsenal player until June 2007 unless the club say otherwise. If he wants to go then Chelsea better be prepared to pay some almighty fee ... plus Petr Cech. If Chelsea don't give us what we want, then Ashley stays for another two years.

Plus, we do have Clichy who is as good as Ashley was at this age. Maybe even better. If Ashley leaves then he's a money loving Judas. But we aren't a selling club anymore, so Chelsea can **** off with their tainted money.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's vital he stays but I would say its more to do with the image of the club rather than anything else. He is becoming a world class player and he is english, thats a rarity in itself. We have to show we are can hold on to our most important players regardless of the money involved. If you look at it from a business side, 30mill for him is great considering we have a ready made replacement in Clichy, who could jus turn out to be better.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
despite all that is said about clichy.... arsenal are an english team and cole is one of the few remaining english links in our squad which is vital for us!

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
clitchy doesnt have A.cole attacking instinct, a.cole knows what to do when hes in the box, i dont see clitchy being good in that.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
but clichy can learn to do what ashley cole is doing so well now... if u guys get a 20 mil bid or something ridiculous like that, sell the guy, develop clichy, and u got 20 mil to fill in the gaps...if wenger can work miracles with half a mil, he'll piss all over mourinho with a 30 odd mil budget..

essentially, i agree with gunner4ever...i like to see english clubs with english players, it would be nice to see arsenal hang on to ashley cole, as chelsea already have lamps, terry,cole etc.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
oz.... there is a falacy in your argument that wenger will piss over mour-sourfaced-inho with 30 mil coz he does well with the half mil buys....
look at the likes of wiltord, jeffers, GvB, Wright who were all expensive flops at arsenal!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
gunner4ever said:
oz.... there is a falacy in your argument that wenger will piss over mour-sourfaced-inho with 30 mil coz he does well with the half mil buys....
look at the likes of Wright who were all expensive flops at arsenal!
did you mean to say ian wright was a flop?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
and rapid i dont think ian wright was a very big money move. we probably spent more on richard wright who was a flop....

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
OZ has point there.

We still need Ashley Cole. Not only because of his skill, but his status as the only home ground player Arsenal have, imagine the team spirit blow if that happens. Not only that, he is one of the only English players (who is also one of stars of the team) we have. Without English players in our team, expect no support from domestic fans and especially from the FA.

In my opinion, Cole wouldn't defect so easily. The stake is too big and too risky for him to take. Historically, Arsenal is bigger team than Chelsea and we are the third best English club where Chelsea positioned nowhere inside the top ten list, heck they only ever won the league once and that was about fifty years ago before they'll win it again this season. So it's not like when Luis Figo left Barcelona for Real Madrid as they're historically pretty equal. Also, it's not like this club sunk down a-la Leeds Utd. and lost the CL spot though not a direct one currently.

And as a homeground player, he will never lose the love of our fans and if someone is going to be the next Arsenal captain after Vieira resigned from the post, it'll be him. Not to mention, Arsenal is well-known for their excellent management which could survive fund scarcity just by a pairs of eyes of Arsène Wenger, and by three years, Arsenal is going to have the financial power they need to sign more established players thanks to the Emirates Stadium. And even in mean time, I'm certainly sure we can give the salary raise to him if that's what he wanted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In addition to him being the only homegrown first team member and probably the best left back in the world. I'm mostly worried about the signal this send to our current squad and future transfer targets? That one of our bests players moves to what he seems to think is bigger and better things? £30M or not, I don't wanna sell. Even if Clichy is the best thing since sliced bread, it sends all sorts of wrong signals to sell Cole.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Twayka said:
well the club dont want to sell him, it will all depend on him.
I'm sure our squad are all well aware of that. They know the club want to keep Ashley, and if he goes it won't be the clubs' doing. If he goes it's because he wants to go and I hope that the squad know that, I have a funny feeling they do, too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts