Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Ryan Giggs

Votes: 38 70.4%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will go for Pires. In the 6 seasons he was in England he scored 84 goals and Giggs only 56 in that time. He was also Football Writers player of the Year twice and part of 3 FA Team of the Years. Giggs was only in one in that period of time. Pires also had most assists in the EPL in 2001/2002 and was top goalscoring midfielder in 2004/2005.

You can say Giggs been playing in the best league in the world, at the highest level, for 15-16 years. However Pires is still at the highest level now too. He's playing in the CL and LA Liga which is as good a league if not better than the EPL.

You can argue Giggs has won a record number of medals. But then again
the number of medals players win can come down to who they have around them too. I could argue that Pires has won World cups and European championships but he played for France and Giggs for little Wales, so perhaps that would be unfair.

Anyway, a statistical comparison

Club goals: Pires 148, Giggs 147

International goals: Pires 14, Giggs 12

Total Career goals: Pires 162, Giggs 159

International caps: Pires 71, Giggs 64

Whilst Pires was in England:

Goals: Pires 84, Giggs 56

Assists: Pires 39, Giggs 27

Trophies won: Pires 4, Giggs 3

Team of the year inclusions: Pires 3, Giggs 1

Football writers player of the year: Pires 1, Giggs 0

·
1st Tier Poster
52,440 Posts
In their prime level they were about equally good but Giggs has had a more impressive career of course. 10 EPL titles, 4 FA cups and 2 CL's and he has been among the key players in winning most of them.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
I love Bobby and all, but Giggs was the better player. giggs is the epitome of consistency he has been consistent for almost 10 years, definitely one of the better wingers i've ever watched. Lets not forget that the trophies he won, he played a major part in 95% of them. Bobby gave football 5 great seasons, but giggs was on another planet.

I also think its unfair to use goals as a measurment on who the better player was of the two, Pires was primarily a goal scoring midfielder, Giggs on the other hand was a penetrative winger who also offered his team that creative spark. I could draw up some stats showing how Lampard has scored more goals during his career than Zidane and then claim he's a better player, would you agree with that Chris?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I voted Giggs. He was better than Pires when they were both at their best, although perhaps not by much, and Giggs does have more trohpies, and has consistently been performing at top level for a longer time.

I do like Pires a lot better however, even now I think he's a quite good player. I imagined he was finished when he first came to Villarreal, but he has surprised me

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
You know what would be even more scary? If they were in the same team playing on either wing. Could you imagine the damage?

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Yikes, it's Giggs obviously. Pires was a lovely player and is still chipping away, but Giggs was on that level with Figo where nobody else was close to them for some time.

You know what would be even more scary? If they were in the same team playing on either wing. Could you imagine the damage?
Yes, but out of their generation, Giggs on the left with Figo on the right would be even better.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Giggs. But Pires is/was one of my favourite players.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Giggs, no doubt. Pires had more flair, but Giggs was the superior footballer.

·
Premier Player
3,328 Posts
I love Pires... but I must vote for Giggs for his consistency.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts