Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I know pires has been a top loyal player to arsenal over the past years.
How about now? do you guys consider him simply as a player with nothing left or a player that still has plenty to give for arsenal.
And, after hearing Wenger disagree to break the arsenal contract policy for players over 30, would you be happy or sad if Pires was to leave at the end of the season?

Just want to see what you guys think since i am not really one to judge

·
Registered
877 Posts
I Believe Pires is a huge part of Arsenal. I would Love to see him and Freddie retire at the club. There is just something about them that says Arsenal. With the young guns coming up Pires should know he wont be seeing as much time on the pitch as he used to. Its fitting since his dipped a little in form from his age. We cant offer him the long term contract he wants because if we do..it'll seem like double standard. I hope he understands that and stays. If he doesnt Farewell to him he has been a loyal servant but i think we'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
One of Wenger's best signing ever and the counter-part of Luis Figo for world best winger. Pires is undoubtly one of our most loyal players (which I admit he is more loyal than Vieira ever be) and played major role in our success during 2001-2004 seasons.

He's still useful though I prefer to give him 'one year extension' at a time like Dennis Bergkamp. And his presence in our team gives positive influence to our young wingers like Reyes and Walcott.

Bobby is one of my favorite Arsenal players beside Bergkamp. :)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Great player from day one. Always contributes a hugh number of goals, has lost a bit of pace but will be sorely missed if he goes in the summer. His staying will sway Herny.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here it says that he'll sign a 1 year contract if Wenger guarantees him that he'll play. I think it will be a massive mistake to do this. When healthy Jose Antonio Reyes is the obvious choice to start on the left wing. He offers us much more is 10X consistent than Pires has been. Pires always takes half a season off doing shit all.

Robert Pires would be happy to pen a one-year deal with Arsenal if he has assurances of first-team football.

Pires is happy with The Gunners and is keen to stay at Highbury, but not if Arsene Wenger plans on using him to warm the bench.

The former Marseille star has been primarily used as a substitute of late and has no intention of finishing his career on the sidelines.

Pires has other offers on the table, but is keen to see out the remainder of his playing days with the North Londoners.

"The most important thing in the negotiations will be the amount of time I am allowed to play," said Pires.

"What I want to do is play.

"I've had other offers and I still have to make a decision.

"I want to stay - I am happy at the club. It is not an easy choice."

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I've watched Pires ever since he played at Metz. I thought he was one of the best players of his time and was amazed when Arsene bought him.

Pires is one of the players that symbolizes Wenger's style at Arsenal.
Look at that goal he scored against Charlton. This is the same thing he was doing week in and week out a couple of seasons ago when he was still playing regularly. I think the more he gets to play the better he'll become. This season at least anyway.

In the Champions league I still prefer Reyes, but domestically Robert Pires gives the team a few more alternatives from the midfield. He scores, he distributes the ball well and has the expperience that the team needs.

Pires :star:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
for me he was our best winger since i dont know much of brady, at his peak i think he was the best winger in the world.
But now i think he deserves a one year contract, but not a a regular team player.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Brady wasn't a winger though, he was a playmaker, though Wenger would have probably played him like a winger.

Hleb is probably the closest we have to Brady, a dribbler and a fantastic passer of the ball. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I really like Pires, but he's not that effective away from Highbury anymore. Still though, I'd certainly love to see him back.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Brady wasn't a winger though, he was a playmaker, though Wenger would have probably played him like a winger.

Hleb is probably the closest we have to Brady, a dribbler and a fantastic passer of the ball. :thumbsup:

I have a Euro 88 video where Brady scored one of the most amazing goals I've ever seen for Ireland.

He's definetley more like Hleb than Pires.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Wenger cannot guarantee anybody (except Henry) a first team place.

Look at Bergkamo, he has been offered a one year contract for the last 4-5 years and never been guaranteed a starting place, but he has been so influential to us.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Twayka said:
when he was the same age as lampard he scored more and assisted more than lampard ever could.
Ignore him.

He's just trying to piss Gooners off, do not respond to such petty crap.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
The best Pires I saw was in the season he got that unfortunate knee ligament damage injury. It was a phenomenal season for Pires and he was on fire throughout! After that it has been a slow and steady decline to his career. He was superb in that season.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts