Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to submit your favourite photographer's work here.

I'll start.

Henri Cartier-Bresson (French, 1908-2004)
Portrait of the author Truman Capote, 1947

·
Registered
897 Posts
Henri Cartier-Bresson is my favourite too. Such a pity he died last year :(

I am surprised at how Truman Capote looks there, I didnt picture him like that!

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Walker Evans, Torn Movie Poster

would that I could...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
I think Steve Mc Curry has be be among the best photographers, He's potraited beautiful landscpaes, wars, culture and most important People all over the world. This pic of a young Afghanistanian girl with haunting green eyes from 1984 is a classic.

Here's another young kid from Afghanistan.

While here are 2 pics of beautiful landscapes of the country.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How true, Nick. If only everyone stops for a second and comtemplates the beauty of the world instead of where WMD are stored ... thank you for sharing the images :)

The following are works by Tseng Kwong Chi (born 1950 Hong Kong; died 1990 New York City) who believed himself to be an ambassador who toured the world in perpetual motion.

Tseng and his companion Keith Haring both died of AIDS in their favourite city.

The photographs were taken using a single lens reflex camera with a self-timer.

New York, New York, Statue of Liberty, 1979.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Tseng Kwong Chi, Lake Louise, Canada (Hotel and Lake), 1986.

Yep. With a self-timer.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Tseng Kwong Chi, London, 1983

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tseng Kwong Chi, Paris, France, 1983

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Tseng Kwong Chi, Lake Ninevah, Vermont, 1985

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Thanks for your kind words Bonita!

Nice pics you posted yourself, I suppose Tseng Kwong Chi also is from HK. He made some great photo's on his trips around the globe for sure.

Here are some more from Mc Curry I liked.

Mandalay, Burma (Truly wonderful place)

Rangoon, Burma

Angkor Wat, Cambodia

Yemen

I always liked pictures that came natural :)

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have always preferred Diane Arbus' early photographs to her more popular images of freaks.

Diane Arbus (American, 1923-1971)
42nd Street movie theater audience, N.Y.C. 1958

Her long-awaited retrospective just opened at the Metropolitan Museum of NYC last weekend. Very well curated by organisers from San Francisco :)

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are photographs by one who reminds us NOT to forget our dreams ...

Lewis Carroll

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, known by his pen name, Lewis Carroll, was a man of diverse interests - in mathematics, logic, photgraphy, art, theater, religion, medicine, and science. He was happiest in the company of children for whom he created puzzles, clever games, and charming letters.

As all Carroll admirers know, his book "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" (1865), became an immediate success and has since been translated into more than eighty languages. The equally popular sequel "Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There", was published in 1872.

"St. George and the Dragon," 1875. The composition features Xie Kitchin and her three brothers, George Herbert Kitchin, Hugh Bridges Kitchin and Brook Taylor Kitchin. Alexandra (Xie) Rhoda Kitchin was the daughter of the Rev. George William Kitchin, Dean of Winchester and later of Durham. Dodgson began photographing Xie (pronounced "Ecksy") in 1868 and continued to use her as a frequent subject throughout the final years of his photographic career. He considered her to be one of his most amenable and striking models and recalled in an 1885 letter how he had "photographed her nearly 50 times: from 4 years old upwards."

[the following 3 photographs are by Lewis Carroll]

Dymphna Ellis, 25 July 1865. His subject later recalled that Carroll "came to our country house to photograph the children.… I feel sure I was a ‘favourite.’He made every child that. He developed the photographs in our cellar.… I remember the mess and the mystery.… We cried when he went away.…We were absolutely fearless with him. We felt he was one of us, and on our side against all the grown-ups."

and, for Che, a picture of grown-ups --

Margaret Anne and Henrietta Mary Lutwidge, ca 1859.
Carroll photographed two of his maternal aunts in an early, classical photographic motif - the chess game.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Here are some pictures made by one guy in my hometown

Attachments

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Man Ray (Born 27 Aug. 1890 in Philadelphia. Died 18 Nov. 1976 in Paris)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Here are 2 pics from an American photographer who travels around the USA and takes pictures with a new Sony Ericsson mobile phone. It´s something of a marketing thing, but these pictures are really good, especially when you consider that they´ve been shot with a mobile phone.

I´ve erased the second picture because it´s far too big for that forum ;)

but here´s the link to the galleries by Robert Clark: http://robertclark.americanphotomag.com/flash/

and also :thumbsup: from me to Fredrick and Andy Christ

1 - 20 of 98 Posts