Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was thinking the other day, how 'bout a philosophy forum? It can be a sub forum of the Politics Forum, perhaps, or separate.

I was thinking we could discuss/debate a wide range of issues from the basics such as God's existence, evil, determinism, causality, responsibility, religion, logic, morality, ethics, mind vs. physical world etc.....and LOT's more...

just a suggestion I thought I'd run by you mods.

what do u think?

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GaGa said:
I'm all for it...:)
Cool.

And of course, the debate rules would similarly apply there.

Maybe we could add something like logical Philosophical debate guidelines that point out which fallacies to avoid during argument...?

or is it better to leave each person on there own, and avoid confusing technical jargon? Okay I've gone a couple steps ahead now, so let's just see what the XT mods think 1st, one thing at a time...:)

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parni Valjak said:
Indeed that is the confused smiley.

But if you would elaborate more, I could possibly help.

:)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
it was recently discussed by the fms and it seems they dont want one. a philosophy forum without religion might be allowed though as nobody seemed to object to that.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Luigi Vampa said:
it was recently discussed by the fms and it seems they dont want one. a philosophy forum without religion might be allowed though as nobody seemed to object to that.
then you can forget it Luigi......;)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
yeah it wouldnt be much without religion, but i guess something is better than nothing.

or you could always make a full time return to xt, become an fm and join me in the lobby for such a forum;-)

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Yes, the idea of philosophy forum that does not touch on religion issue at all (and I mean AT ALL ;)) can be considered. Otherwise it's a no go...
And that'll also mean that whoever moderates this forum if it gets created, must make sure that it'll never ever touch on religion.

Difficult I guess...
Europeans and their obsession with humanities subject... ;) Why can't you talk about business and engineering?

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Philosophy without religious disscussion at all of any kind...:confused:

There wouldn't be a use for the forum then...ahhh well. I was under the impression a lot of people on the board could have a mature discussion without upsetting people. :)

Why not have a trial phase see how it goes? Anyone that does cause offense shall be banned just like at the political forum?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Stinkfist said:
Indeed that is the confused smiley.

But if you would elaborate more, I could possibly help.

:)
I think that if this idea gets approved by tomorrow we'll have another, sorry to say, 50 "useless" forums, that maybe a handful of people visit PER WEEK...

But I'm not an fm nor a cm, so my say on the issue doesn't get much credibility, and judging by some other forums that have been approved , you'll probably have your wish granted.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
No, in the first place, the idea on Philosophy forum itself will need to be explored (we need to see how many people are actually interested in the idea).

And even if a Philosophy forum will be created, it will definitely not contain any discussion related to religion, at all. So if there will be such forum and the forum will be under trial first to see if it can work, it will already be without having any religion discussion in it.

At the moment, for philosophy discussions per se I don't think there is enough interest for us to create a forum. Philosophy thread in Away from Soccer forum perhaps is more suitable. And no religion in that.

If that thread grows well, we may revisit the issue of the Philosophy forum. But again, without touching on religion.

I hope that's clear and you all can understand :)

·
Administrator
29,807 Posts
However how can philosophy can be sub-forum of anything ? Phylosophy is behind everything, not bellow.
But the forum will be poor if religion can not be touched by philosophy...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
But the forum will be poor if religion can not be touched by philosophy...
Very true point...

Dagoods loves religion (Christianity for that matter, Dagoods loves JESUS) and philosophy!!!

Dagoods is some what of a sophist himself...

For once, Dagoods will not be Dagoods instead I will be speaking my mind!

I'm looking forward to it!!!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Which is precisely why we may end up not having Philosophy forum at all if that condition on not having religion discussion can't be fulfilled.

Actually, it's possible to not have religion discussion after all. I mean, I was in uni, there were like, 20 or so philosophy subjects in the 3-4 years of uni, and more than 60% didn't touch religion. So I don't see why we need to be fixated. :)

But, judging from the posts here so far, coz those who are in favor of philosophy forum seem to link it strongly to religion discussion, then it'll be a no. The moderator will have a super-hard time moderating that forum if people's inclination to veer into religion discussion is that strong.

See it like this, though. You can always start off having 1 topic about philosophical ideas. Then if the response is good, perhaps that idea can be developed further. That's how many forums on XT get to be created after all :) To just create a forum which will have slow traffic may not be necessary.

So, it's good to come up with a lot of ideas but let's try to be organized and focused too rather than merely brainstorm them.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
well i dont think there was high demand for a pets forum but we have that dont we? health, education, betting, space and a number of others that dont need to exist but they do. so thats not an argument against a philosophy forum.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.