Xtratime Community banner

Phillipe Senderos - an ARSENAL defender

1K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  Twayka 
#1 ·
what a great prospect he looks, unbeatable in the air, a great reader and positionally perfect, decision making great, he knows just when the ball is winnable and when it is not.

obviously he's still young and he will make mistakes, but he will only learn from playing football at the top level.

hail the future great, an Arsenal defender in the traditions of McLintock, Adams and Keown. :thmbup:

Clichy, Senderos, Fabregas, Quincy......it hasn't been a bad season after all, we have unearthed almost half of our future team, they all have gonads.

#4 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
what a great prospect he looks, unbeatable in the air, a great reader and positionally perfect, decision making great, he knows just when the ball is winnable and when it is not.

obviously he's still young and he will make mistakes, but he will only learn from playing football at the top level.

hail the future great, an Arsenal defender in the traditions of McLintock, Adams and Keown. :thmbup:

Clichy, Senderos, Fabregas, Quincy......it hasn't been a bad season after all, we have unearthed almost half of our future team, they all have gonads.
My thoughts exactly Jern! The future certainly looks bright for us! :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Im not sure what Wenger was thinking by playing Reyes, we need Pires' guile rather than Reyes' raw pace. There was just no space for him to do any damage, plus he is woefully out of form. Pires is player who scores vital goals. Simply, really. PLAY PIRES!! :stuckup:

#6 ·
Pires/Henry/Cole is the most dominating left flank in world football.

we have seen it perhaps 15 times this season, shocking.

and i can't wait for SOL to get back in the team, looking forward to seeing him and SENDO.....

SENDO + SOL = inpenetrable WALL. ;)

#7 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
and i can't wait for SOL to get back in the team, looking forward to seeing him and SENDO.....

SENDO + SOL = inpenetrable WALL. ;)
One drawback of a Sol and a Big Phil partnership is a complete lack of mobility (compared to others). They get caught on the turn quite easily because of their size, and quick players can take advantage of this. Still, I would like to see Senderos remain ahead of Toure for the remainder of the season.

Of course, Campbell fully fit (like that ever happens) is quite mobile. Senderos aside from his good positioning sense also has some good pace in him. Not as fast as toure, but definitely not as slow as Cygan. Maybe I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, butI think he should really get a good run for the rest of the season as a starting centre back. God knows after this display, he deserves it.

One thing that last nights performance definately shows about Senderos is that he has a lot of bottle (Shaf's favourite part of a player). This was his CL debut dont forget, not to mention playing with the pressure of how bad the defence has been and the obvious focus on him. He seems the type that when you increase the pressure, He increases his performance. In this Arsenal squad, that is a very very rare trait.

#8 ·
khimik said:
One drawback of a Sol and a Big Phil partnership is a complete lack of mobility (compared to others). They get caught on the turn quite easily because of their size, and quick players can take advantage of this. Still, I would like to see Senderos remain ahead of Toure for the remainder of the season.

One thing that last nights performance definately shows about Senderos is that he has a lot of bottle (Shaf's favourite part of a player). This was his CL debut dont forget, not to mention playing with the pressure of how bad the defence has been and the obvious focus on him. He seems the type that when you increase the pressure, He increases his performance. In this Arsenal squad, that is a very very rare trait.
lack of mobility can be compensated for , lack of awareness cannot.

anyway with Kolo and Cole on the flanks we still have lightning pace, btw Cole was horrific last night, worse game i've seen from him in ages, he looked cllueless.

#9 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
lack of mobility can be compensated for , lack of awareness cannot.
T'is true. Plus, one we have Gilberto back in front of the defence we should get a lot more solid in general. Next seasons priority should be getting our title back (again :sigh: ) and throwing some more of the youngsters in on a permanent basis. I think next season we'll see more of Senderos, Eboue, Quincy and maybe Lupoli. Depends on what we buy.

If Reyes fails to command a first team spot next season then he should be sold, unfortunately (insert Petros disagreeing here).

#10 ·
khimik said:
T'is true. Plus, one we have Gilberto back in front of the defence we should get a lot more solid in general. Next seasons priority should be getting our title back (again :sigh: ) and throwing some more of the youngsters in on a permanent basis. I think next season we'll see more of Senderos, Eboue, Quincy and maybe Lupoli. Depends on what we buy.).
i want SWP and a real hard man midfielder for away games, we cannot afford to play wimp Freddie in away CL games.

khimik said:
If Reyes fails to command a first team spot next season then he should be sold, unfortunately (insert Petros disagreeing here).
see my thread, he was complete cack again last night, he looks like he needs a good bollocking, but you wouldn't want to bollock him as he looks like he might start crying. :eekani:

#11 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
i want SWP and a real hard man midfielder for away games, we cannot afford to play wimp Freddie in away CL games.
That's what I'd love to have Essien for. He was simply :eekani: against Werder Bremen, in both ties. Did you see his second goal in the second tie? Great run with a great finish. :thumbsup:

Vieira doesn't do that anymore :sigh:

#12 ·
khimik said:
That's what I'd love to have Essien for. He was simply :eekani: against Werder Bremen, in both ties. Did you see his second goal in the second tie? Great run with a great finish. :thumbsup:

Vieira doesn't do that anymore :sigh:
I don't think Vieira ever scored goals did he ? Essien would be great but can he play wide ?

Lauren would have been a better bet in Munich than Fred, a sound midfeild base of Gilberto- Paddy- Lauren and Pires wouldn't have to worry about defensive duties so we wouldn't lose too much from attack.

#13 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
I don't think Vieira ever scored goals did he ? Essien would be great but can he play wide ?
Well, I remember in his younger days Vieira picking the ball up in midfield, charging forward and rocketing a shot in. He hardly ever does that anymore - then again that was the old Vieira/Petit days.

Lauren would have been a better bet in Munich than Fred, a sound midfeild base of Gilberto- Paddy- Lauren and Pires wouldn't have to worry about defensive duties so we wouldn't lose too much from attack.
That would've effectively been a 4-3-3, which I think would've worked great. Pires and Reyes could swap sides throughout the match while Thierry drifts around doing whatever he wants to do. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
khimik said:
Well, I remember in his younger days Vieira picking the ball up in midfield, charging forward and rocketing a shot in. He hardly ever does that anymore - then again that was the old Vieira/Petit days.

That would've effectively been a 4-3-3, which I think would've worked great. Pires and Reyes could swap sides throughout the match while Thierry drifts around doing whatever he wants to do. :thumbsup:
Vieira against Newcastle ? i think that was the only time he did it, he also scored a rocket against United, he does that now and again still though, last night he had a go, he was never prolific though.

4-3-3 lopsided like we used to have with Petit-Paddy-Parlour and a front three of Overmars-Bergkamp-Anelka

tbh, i forgot Bergkamp wouldn't have played, i'd have chosen RvP rather than Reyes, i would never play Reyes again away in CL til he sorts his head out.

#15 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
Vieira against Newcastle ? i think that was the only time he did it, he also scored a rocket against United, he does that now and again still though, last night he had a go, he was never prolific though.
Didn't he score a cracker against Sheffield Wednesday in about 1996/97? I think it was his first goal for the club.

4-3-3 lopsided like we used to have with Petit-Paddy-Parlour and a front three of Overmars-Bergkamp-Anelka

tbh, i forgot Bergkamp wouldn't have played, i'd have chosen RvP rather than Reyes, i would never play Reyes again away in CL til he sorts his head out.
Aliadiere? What do you think of him? I think he'd be quite good in a lopsided 4-3-3 like that. I've watched Aliadiere and he's the only young striker that has the confidence to play his own game and I like that. He seems to be much more of an out and out striker who will touch, turn and shoot on goal. But he's way too injury prone, which is sad.

I'd like to see this, in a 4-3-3, if Ali played:

Toure - Senderos - Campbell - Cole
Vieira - Gilberto - Fabregas
van Persie* - Aliadiere - Henry

* = or Pires or Reyes. I really rate[d] Aliadiere for the little playing time he's shown. Just quietly against Sheffield United it looked like he'd either bulked up a bit, or was wearing a lot of layers :pp.

#17 ·
Twayka said:
i think if we play Sendo for the next 2 years, he will better than terry in defence, terry became good because of time on the field.
Terry looks good with Makelele in front of him, I'd like to see how Terry would handle our shambles of a defence without a world class screening midfielder in front of him (Vieira is world class, yes, but he is not screening midfielder like Bert is).

#19 ·
Aliadiere is great prospect, but i am worried about his injury record, as a 17 year old for the yoot team he was the best prospect i've ever seen, saying that David Noble was also immense and where is he now ?

honestly if Aliadiere stays fit i am sure he will make it.

#23 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
Aliadiere is great prospect, but i am worried about his injury record, as a 17 year old for the yoot team he was the best prospect i've ever seen, saying that David Noble was also immense and where is he now ?

honestly if Aliadiere stays fit i am sure he will make it.
That's what I've been saying for ages. He's got oodles of talent but his injury record - and it's always the same part of his body that gets injured, funnily enough - for his age, is simply scary. If he could get some strength in his knee muscles I think he'd be able to get over them.

His first touch when he came on and nearly scored against the Blades was brilliant. Not bad for someone who hasn't played since August.

#26 ·
Titi8383 said:
Its good news to see Gilberto involved in the squad again, its such a shame we couldn't squeak out the win. He and Sol could have made the difference in the later rounds. :depress:
I was so happy to see him on the bench. I knew he wouldn't play or anything but him being there is good to see. I've always liked Gilberto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.