Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on Teletext yesterday that Troussier was on the shortlist for the Scotland job and that he would be interested in taking it. So i thought that sounds like a good move by the SFA for a change as he's a coach capable (and proven) of achieving good things with limited resources at the international level. Just what Scotland needs in other words.

But apparently it's not the case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4037699.stm

SFA rules out Troussier as boss

The Scottish FA has denied Philippe Troussier is in the frame to take over as manager of the national side.

The Frenchman was interviewed for the post before Berti Vogts was appointed in 2002 and claimed he was on the shortlist to replace the sacked German.

"I am on the shortlist, they consider my candidature and they recognise my past," he told the Daily Mail.

But an SFA spokesman said: "Philippe Troussier is not on the shortlist and he has not been approached."

Scots Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan remain favourites for the job.

Troussier led South Africa and Japan in World Cup finals and insisted it was not too late for Scotland to reach Germany 2006 despite boasting only two points from the first three qualifiers.

He said: "First of all, Scotland have not lost the chance for the next World Cup.

"My strategy is to finish the qualification, to change the minds of people, to tell them that nothing is finished and that we have to work until we have the last second of the match."

The Scottish FA initially indicated that only a Scot would be considered for the job, but recently refused to rule out a foreign manager being appointed.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I actually wanted Troussier when the SFA opted for Berti. I still rate him even though I don't think he has had as much success recently. The main problem is the media wouldn't give him a fair crack of the whip because he's another foreigner. Berti was given time because he was the first foreign manager. Since that experiment failed miserably, Troussier would be judged a lot quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts