Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ronaldo's top dog in the Premiership - and there are monthly awards for Convey, Carey and Hawley too

By Dave Smith 03-04-06

Manchester United's belated surge and chasing down of Premiership leaders Chelsea has been due in no small part to the scintillating form of Cristiano Ronaldo, who has been a revelation this year - even by his own high standards.

United's eighth successive league win, against Bolton at the weekend, has seen them close the gap on the reigning champions to just seven points. And they still have Chelsea to play later this month.

It promises to be an unexpected and exciting finale to the season for Sir Alex Ferguson's men who claimed their first piece of silverware of the season last month, when Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney inspired United to Carling Cup success against Wigan.

March Player of the Month Ronaldo has been delighted to repay the faith shown in him by Sir Alex and he says: "United have stood by me and been there for me and I want to repay that. They were also the only club that showed 100 per cent commitment towards me. They brought me to England and tried to make me a better player and they have worked hard.

"There is nobody else who could make me what I am now and I am really thankful. I will repay the faith," added Ronaldo, who reckons he's run into peak form and condition at just the right time, with the World Cup finals just around the corner.

The Portuguese international is confident that his country can at least match their achievement at Euro 2004, when they fell at the final hurdle by losing to Greece. "To get to the final is the big objective of this side," he's been quoted as saying.

"We have a team with quality and we are going to work very hard. We are committed to working hard so the games go well for us. On a personal level, I am more and more confident. I have scored goals and I want to get better all the time. I am going to be in the best possible form at the World Cup."

In the Championship, no real surprise that the monthly award for March has gone to a Reading player - with the majority of votes going to the Royals' exciting striker Bobby Convey.

Together with the likes of Dave Kitson and Kevin Doyle, Convey's goals have sent Reading flying towards the Championship title they clinched with a 5-0 demolition of Derby at the weekend. Convey and Co will not look out of place in the Premiership next season.

The League One award goes to Bristol City's Louis Carey whilst Karl Hawley's goalscoring exploits for promotion-chasing Carlisle have made him the fans' choice in League Two. Now the race is on to find the PFA Fans' Players of the Year - for more details stay tuned to givemefootball.

March winners at-a-glance

Premiership: Cristiano Ronaldo - Man United

Championship: Bobby Convey - Reading

League One: Louis Carey - Bristol City

League Two: Karl Hawley - Carlisle

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jern Lizardhous said:
the fans must be on drugs, Henry in March was playing football that Ronaldo couldn't even wet dream about.
The kid is only 20 and clearly has impressed fans in England.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
abstar26 said:
jern is soo one sidedly arsenal its funny.
Henry's been good lately but not as good as Ronnie and this award for him confirms that. :)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Congratulations to Ronaldo. The kid deserved it after the torrid time he experienced last year.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
ronaldo is more varied than henry..

besides, henry is a prick anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts