Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the PFA awards took place last night and Ruud van Nistelrooy took the player of the year award.

This is a disgrace - OK so RvN has scored a lot of goals this season, but in terms of being an all-round team player, surely Rob was better? What else did Ruud do apart from score goals? Rob scored 12 goals this season, and created another 13. Some of his link-up play has been nothing short of sublime and although it is a smaller award, I am sure he will win the Football Writer's player of the year.

The PFA Premiership team of the year was as follows:

Given (Newcastle)
Finnan (Fulham)
Hyppia (Liverpool)
Ferdinand (Leeds Utd)
Bridge (Southampton)
Pires (Arsenal)
Keane (Man Utd)
Vieira (Arsenal)
Giggs (Man Utd
Henry (Arsenal)
van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)

·
Registered
155 Posts
So strange, I really thought Pires would claim the award.
And Henry ahead of Pires? Strange....

This proves that strikers and scorers have a massive advantage in a competition like this, not fairly, I think.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I feel even more sorry for Pires now :(
He if anybody deserved that award after brilliant plays all season!
I really dont understand what RVN is doing up there...
I would have been ok with having RVN as third(with Pires and Henry infront of him) but first!?! :mad:

·
Registered
452 Posts
RVN also played good games in this season. We have to give credit for that. He is a good finisher and has a good ball control even pressed by so many defenders.
Maybe Pires's injury also makes the difference.

Don't worry guys, Pires can still win it next season. :)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
If you guys visit the United forum,many of you will notice that most of us there are pleasantly surprised.:)Almost all of us expected Pires to be voted the best player but I guess strikers do have an edge in these kind of awards.Also since this was voted by ruud's fellow professionals,they commended him for the fantastic job that he is doing during his first season in England and after recovering from a career-threatening injury.I am proud of the lad.:proud:

Good Luck to Pires next time.:)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
:yuck: What the hell were they thinking??? And how did Henry get ahead of Pires too? Looks like this is just about how many goals they score :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
in my personal opinion, most of ruuds goals are like cherrypickers. they werent fancy etc, just a simple ttap in.
in the christmas holidays i was counting the number of scarppy goals he scored, and it was very high, i dont htink he scored any hard goals at all during the christmas.
BUT
he is still a great striker i admit
far better then "the awesome" owen:rolleyes:

FUTHERMORE
pires should of gotten the award, but like some people said already, the injury probably effected it. atleast henry should of won then ruud

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course, I have total respect for RvN though - he is surely one of the top 5 or 6 strikers in the world at the moment.

And he has done well after that sickening injury.

:star:RvN:star:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
to bad you cant say that for michael owen:rolleyes:
i think his overrated big time :)
still good
but to much with the hype
see him against leverkusen?
if he was true to all the hype he should of scored

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
In an article of Sunday Times I've read that Ruud voted for Pires... well, I hope Pires wins it next year.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Of course, I have total respect for RvN though
Nice to hear that Gareth.:)

Ruud is a model professional.His behaviour both on and off the field is top class andkids can really look upto him as their idol.he wont disappoint them.

Swiftwilly,Ruud is the perfect goal poacher.Arsenal's very own Alan Smith reckons that Ruud is the most complete striker in Europe cright now because the lad is a clinical finisher,holds the line well,is strong and also has a good header.So I think you are being too harsh of RVN.After all if his positioning wasnt as great as it is then he wouldnt have been in those situations to tap the ball in from 5 or 6 yards out.;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Exactly, He's the best goal poacher in EPL right now. Good control of the ball, nice dribble, and great finishing.
He has everything it needed for a striker, except speed. :D :D
Not as slow as Sheringham but still slow.
Never mind,a goal poacher does not need speed. That's what we need next season.

But don't think he's the most complete and the best right now. Sheva is the most complete. He's just having a bad season.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
True one thing that Ruud lacks a bit is pace.However,since he has been out for a year or so,I expect him to be much fitter and faster next season.He was pretty quick during his time at PSV and also he was much more fitter.

Gotta agree with you that Sheva's probably the most complete striker in Europe.He's got pace,a god dribbler,clinical finisher not bad with his head and also extremely intelligent.Just a smashing player.:)Sad that injuries have hampered his form this season though I expect him to be back at his best next season for Milan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts