Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
48,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very deserved, he's a great writer

i'll admit I've only read a couple of books by him (while Mori and Szöv have probably read them all)

but some awesome early Wim Wenders movies have been made based on his works (such as Goalkeeper's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick and Left-Handed Woman)

·
Registered
30,473 Posts
I haven't read his books, though he's clearly my kind of writer and plenty has been translated into Danish.

Great trolling for him to be awarded the prize, of course. I don't follow the literary debate at the moment, but judging by the tantrums thrown when Bob Dylan was given the prize, after all Jewish and a counterculture icon, I can only imagine how it must have unfolded in this case. And there's even been the Metoo bruhaha in between. And Russia-gate, Serbia being a proxy.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't read his books, though he's clearly my kind of writer and plenty has been translated into Danish.

Great trolling for him to be awarded the prize, of course. I don't follow the literary debate at the moment, but judging by the tantrums thrown when Bob Dylan was given the prize, after all Jewish and a counterculture icon, I can only imagine how it must have unfolded in this case. And there's even been the Metoo bruhaha in between. And Russia-gate, Serbia being a proxy.
yeah I'd imagine he is your kind of writer. On some level I'm not surprised the guy has ran into those problems, his mind definitely works in a weird way ... A Moment of True Feeling is one of the few books I've given up reading because it was just too disturbing on existential level.

BTW I think he benefited from the last year's academy scandal. I doubt they would have dared to award him otherwise... but I guess the members felt they have nothing to lose really ... or maybe they even want to have a controversy every year to create hype and stay relevant. 2016: the Dylan publicity stunt; 2018: rape/harassment/betting scandal leading to the resignation of many members and cancellation of the award (they later gave it to some Polish hippie lady nobody has ever heard of); 2019: let's give it to a genocide denier.

I have to say though they have made some solid choices this decade: Tranströmer, Ishiguro, Handke.

·
Registered
55,902 Posts
linguistically a good writer, especially his early works, later not so much, politically and such a full moronic communist though. even though that‘s irrelevant in his judgement as author, he should have shut his mouth at times, imho.

either way, literature-wise António Lobo Antunes, László Krasznahorkai or Péter Nádas surely would have deserved the prize more.

·
Administrator
29,814 Posts
Olga Tokarczuk was pretty much a favorite to win the Nobel for some time already and it is pretty obvious they used her as a shield to award Handke because they knew the controversy (and the xhit he had done with the genocide denial) . They even started with the lame "it is not political" and "Pc culture", but now some of the judges mentioned works they used to research about Handke to defend his position and some of those works are pretty much lies. In the end, a pretty dumb decision and a extremely coward positioning of the Nobel Academy. Not because his Writting (I haven't read, but seems like he is a good writer), but for the genral idea to hide behind "it is not political" while awarding a very political writer that have the bad habit to use historical revisionism to deny stuff like the holocaust and defend tyrants.

There is like plenty of names that could win, but the Nobel is just more and more some brainless outdated institution by now.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts