Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there ever any games where you can remember two players facing off against each other in an almost personal battle between themselves, whether it was winger vs wing back, striker vs defender, striker vs goalkeeper ect?

One classic confrontation that I think many XTimers might miss and enjoy seeing, and is my favourite example of this is when Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira used to clash in Arsenal United games. Probably THE two outstanding def mids in the Prem I was always anticipating that something would happen because you knew that it wasnt just football for these two, it was actual mutual hatred for each other. It also enhanced the Arsenal United rivalry because they were the main two at the time.

Are there any you miss or look forward to today, either for footballing reasons(for eg CRonaldo vs Ashley Cole) or other ?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer :howler::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Zlatan vs. Chiellini

another funny thing about Keane Vieira is that Keane wanted Vieira to come to Sunderland

·
Registered
66,826 Posts
If I remember correctly, Viera and Kean got into during a game once and Viera pretty much head butted him. Keane didn't do a thing despite being the crowned bad ass of English football.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Davids against Seedorf always sticks in my mind. Was one CL game and both were playing as central mids. Juve v Real I imagine. I just remember them clattering each other all match.

Of course Paul McGrath versus the Italy attack in USA 94 as well:proud:

·
Registered
45,390 Posts
Muntari / Burdisso v Julio Cesar

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Davids against Seedorf always sticks in my mind. Was one CL game and both were playing as central mids. Juve v Real I imagine. I just remember them clattering each other all match.
That was actually the CL Final, played in Amsterdam. It was a bit one sided though, it was mostly Davids bullying Seedorf although Clarence also played pretty tough as well. It was especially funny because they're best friend in real life.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That was actually the CL Final, played in Amsterdam. It was a bit one sided though, it was mostly Davids bullying Seedorf although Clarence also played pretty tough as well. It was especially funny because they're best friend in real life.
That's the one. :thumbsup: It was Davids (older more experienced) and the younger upstart trying to hold his own. I just remember it being a good duel. Seedorf was happy to get stuck in and tackle back then.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Rivaldo v Hierro :D

·
Administrator
52,992 Posts
Rivaldo v Hierro :D
So far this duel is the only one that fullfills the description of the thread starter. Keane bullying Vieira isnt much of a big deal.

But Rivaldo and Hierro's hatred was beyond anything else I have seen, the grudge was strong ever more for every game, they couldnt be in the same zone without trying to head butt eachother :D Other players bickerings are one off or minor rivalries compared to these two.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts