Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright let's start with - who would be your favourite drummer/percussionist of all time?

Mine would have to be Moe Tucker of the Velvet Underground.. (listen carefully, no cymbals!) Surely the most improvisational drummer in mainstream music.. or no? Personally, I prefer reduction as opposed to addition..;)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Well, Good ol' Keith Moon was definitelly the most interesting drummer to watch. But there was just no turning him off. It isn't allways the best to drum 200% all the time. Sometimes you have to turn it down a notch, and he did maybe take a little too much space from a straight musical point of view in some instances. But still, he's the most energetic drummer ever. Everytime he sat behind the drums, he was like a child at christmas. He just loved to hit those trums. All of them. At the same time. Over and over. And over. Again.

Also I'm still quite amazed by Dave Grohl's work on the latest QOTSA album. Especially on Song for the dead. And whoever it is who is on the tours (muscly guy with a cap. He looks like his name's Rich or something) does a great job doing just what Dave did in the studio.

I quite like Sleater-Kinney's drummer too. Looks like your ordinary mom hammering out the cool kick-ass rhytms. She rocks.

When it comes to non-rock, I'll have to come back with that one.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
enola said:

. And whoever it is who is on the tours (muscly guy with a cap. He looks like his name's Rich or something) does a great job doing just what Dave did in the studio.

Joey Castillo - yeah he's good and he's now a permanent member of the band.

My favourite rock drummer is probably John Bonham.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Having played the drums back in the garage rock high school days (we was the Donnas before the Donnas! ;)), I appreciate a a simple, powerful drummer. The Neil Pert's, Keith Moon's, Bonzo's and Ginger Baker's of the world (anyone really with a hyperactive, let's play every drum in our huge ass kit--don't forget the big gong in back!--annoys me) have never thrilled me much. I go for the Moe Tucker's (Velvets), John Marr's (Buzzcocks), Markie Ramone's (Ramones and Voidoids), Hugo Burnham (Gang of Four), Steve Shelley (Sonic Youth) and whomever played drums for AC/DC in their early years (Cliff Something?). That guy never played a fifth or an eighth, but was solid all the way. The only 'big' drummers I ever liked were Buddy Miles, Art Blakey, Tony Harris, 'Jabo' Starks, Charlie Watts and 'Phillie Joe' Harris...sure they were Jazz/Funk guys and all (with the exception of Watts) over their kit, but unlike the excessives mentioned above, they swung at least. Swinging is a very important part of the drummer's repartoire, even for the heavy metal drummer or 500 bpm punk drummer, believe it or not.

RIO

·
Super Moderator
13,714 Posts
BONZOOO and Mitch Mitchell (sp?)
The guy from The Police also amazing.

But I know Rock drummers pretty much only.
I'm sure Jazz has percussionists that are a lot better than these.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
van said:
Jazz has percussionists that are a lot better than these.
Sure.

For a total twist of theme - Bobby Previte is excellent. Dave Douglas' Infinite and Gnu's Soro both have some awesome electric percussions. It's a sound only such avant-jazz groups such as these can accomodate, and truly is great .. Miles Davis ensemble does it too.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
!bob said:
Alright let's start with - who would be your favourite drummer/percussionist of all time?

Mine would have to be Moe Tucker of the Velvet Underground.. (listen carefully, no cymbals!) Surely the most improvisational drummer in mainstream music.. or no? Personally, I prefer reduction as opposed to addition..;)
Yay finally she gets a mention somewhere...\o/ :D

Very under-rated drummer she was...ok I might be biased since their my favourite band but still...:tongue: :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts