• something else

Votes: 3 13.6%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penalty Shots

For years I played and watched this game and for years I never liked the fact that a Cup/Title can be won... and has been won... on penalty shoot outs. Watching the champions league final today go to the penalty shootout riled me to write this post.

Maybe it's the "Canadian" in me... since us hockey fans have endured, on many ocassions, how a single game can go into several overtime periods to get a winner. But it's worth the wait! I simply feel that the game of football should be won in the manner that it is designed to play... 11 vs 11.

How do you feel about this?

My suggestion would be to keep the game going until there is a goal... I'd suggest that the game allow an increase in substitutions (perhaps for every 15 minute period another sub is permitted)... and now something more radical... allow a player that was substituted for back into the game.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Petro...you know, I absolutly agree...I think its the North American in us...you play until there's a winner and don't stop...they do it in basketball, NHL ice hockey, baseball etc.

It drove me nuts when watching the Nagano Olympics and seeing a talented Czech team play the trap against and even more talented Team Canada just so they can get to the shootout and thought it was horrible to see a hockey game desided by who can win a skills competition...you play until someone drops.

I think the biggest problem in terms of soccer is just the fact that you're running on the pitch for 90 minutes...then another 30 minutes of extra time and that doesn't even count the added time at the end of each half...so, in reality they probably play 130 minutes more or less with only a 10 minute break between the first and 2nd half. They showed a stat at the end of the game today and one of the stats was how far each team ran and Chelsea I believe ran a total of 144 km (forgot the Man U stat)...that's a lot of running. So, I don't know much of any other way to deside it. I personally hate it...can you imagine say the NBA championship or NCAA basketball championship coming down free throws? Or in baseball a home run derby? or in the NFL a FG kicking competition? It would be stupid....but, unfortunatly, in soccer, I don't know any other option.

BTW..why did they get rid of the golden goal?

·
Registered
69,618 Posts
extra time in these games are really worthless now a days as the teams secure the ball and don't take any risks, and they wait for the PK's. Though the problem with no PK's is some of these games would really go on forever :pp both teams would completely shut down, pass the ball around, the occasional long ball, it would really take something spectacular to score

I also am not a big fan of penalty kicks, because knowing my luck if ever my teams are in it they will lose.

I also do think they need to bring back the golden goal rule, you don't see in hockey the teams playing the full 5 minutes (or 20 in playoffs) even after a goal is scored

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
golden goal sucked ass. In football, it's very hard to score, you need a concerted team effort, luck or sublime individual skill, that may not come for 300 minutes, or both sides want to sit back and not risk for 200 or so minutes, imagine going through that and then playing your semi 4 days later..

Penalties are a roll of the dice, but also have a measure of skill, pressure, mental toughness and physical endurance to them. It's the only way to decide a tight game of football in a knock-out system IMO, any other way is exhausting.

Football and minnow sports shouldn't be compared, football WCs and Euros are faar too important to be made a mockery of by having games finish after midnight and 265 minutes of cautious defensive counter football.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Penalties are painful (especially when your team is on the losing end) but there really isn't an alternative. Watching the game today it showed a stat when that Shrek-a-like Rooney got subbed off he already ran over 10000km. Imagine making guys play for 3-4 hours. Imagine the games in hot summer weather where guys can hardly wait for a break so they can drink some water. I think it would cause many injuries and be unsafe for players to be in a game that long. All the discussion of extra subs and subbed off players coming back on takes away from the integrity and simplicity of the beautiful game.
My response to all my Italian friends who complain about Italy getting knocked out by shootouts is play to win the game in regulation time so there won't be a shootout.

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Christ suho, are we opening another pandora's box if one of us asks why?

I'm not in the mood to read essays so close to kick off :D

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Christ suho, are we opening another pandora's box if one of us asks why?

I'm not in the mood to read essays so close to kick off :D
Have you ever had one of your team's in a PK shoot-out? It takes 10 years off your life...

·
Registered
69,618 Posts
for me only twice which I can remember
Hajduk in a CL qualifier against Ferencvaros back in 2001 I believe, where Pletikosa made two big saves and Derby County last season against Southampton in the playoffs. Both tense and I wasn't even watching :D

Croatia would lose in PK's, our athletes are just so weak mentally, we always find ways to blow leads, lose to horrible teams, choke etc..

·
Banned
36,400 Posts

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Just don't let Srna take the penalty:howler:

I always had total faith in Suker and Rapajic taking our penaltys, now...? I guess Modric but no one really stands out esspecially since Da Silva is injured.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
if i had to choose 5 players to take the penalties i think they would be: Petric, Kranjcar, Modric, Pranjic and Srna.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
if i had to choose 5 players to take the penalties i think they would be: Petric, Kranjcar, Modric, Pranjic and Srna.
Yup, I'd go with that. Rakitic would be considered as well if he was on, as he took his penalty in the Champions League (against Porto) cool-as-****.

Budan also took a couple for Parma (including a vital one in injury time near the end of the season), so he'd be good to go as well.

·
Banned
22,345 Posts
If we go to penalties in any game, I literally will $hit myself.:doh:

Anyone know how Pleti is on penalties? There have been some NT ones that come to mind...(Lampard at Wembley, Blanco in WC 2002, the Aussies in the WC also)...all goals.:scared:

For our shooters...

Very confident in Kranjcar, Rakitic and Modric...

With Srna missing against the Japanese and Estonias, I really don't know any more...he has scored others for us....I guess based on the other goals he has scored from the spot, as long as he wants to keep taking them, you give it to him...

Petric, Budan other options...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
If we get to penalties then I will be ecstatic 'cause that means we advanced from group stages.

Modric to be our number one penalty taker. Just look at the pk's against werder and ajax to name a couple....

·
Registered
69,618 Posts
Pletikosa used to be the king at saving penalties at Hajduk, probably because the quality of pk's in the HNL is poor though :pp

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Provided they are on the park: Petrić, Modrić, Rakitić, Budan and Pranjić. Most of these guys are or have been designated PK takers at their clubs.

Didn't Slaven say Srna was no longer going to take them? Or was it Darijo himself that said it? :confused:

·
Banned
22,345 Posts
Provided they are on the park: Petrić, Modrić, Rakitić, Budan and Pranjić. Most of these guys are or have been designated PK takers at their clubs.

Didn't Slaven say Srna was no longer going to take them? Or was it Darijo himself that said it? :confused:
No Kranjcar?:confused:

·
Registered
69,618 Posts
I thought of something crazy but no way it will happen, something I thought of in my crazy mind :D

After the 30 minute extra time, do another coin toss, the loser of the coin toss plays with a man down, of the coaches choosing and loses subs (like in hockey, when the goaltender makes a penalty the coach picks a guy to go to the box)....don't how much this will help, but something I thought of :D And every 10-15 minutes or so, keep doing the coin toss until it's 1 on 1 :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts