Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Keep both forever

Votes: 3 25.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is, which one of these players would you consider more promising for our long-term future? As I read Cacini the other day, it is clear that one of these shoul leave and tht we should bring in an experienced keeper to help the younger along.

BTW, it would be great if we could get Pagliuca for a year or so (he would probably be our starter :eek: ) and then sell one of the two goalies.

My option is moe complicated. I believe in Zotti more than Pelizzoli, I think peli can become a great goalie, but Zotti can make some world class saves and is quite solid, but still makes some handling and positionl mistakes due to the lack of matches. So my belief is that next year we should try to sign pagliuca on a 2 year contract and sell Pelizzoli while keeping Zotti (and playing him at least regularly) training alongside Pagliuca (who would prob be number 1 for a time). I think Zotti will grow up to be in the Italy squad. Pelizzoli we could make some good money from because he has alot of teams wanting him.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw the poll is which keeper do you want to keep?

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Peli. He's made some mistakes this season, but he was class last year, and i think he has a great future ahead of him.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I say that we should keep one I don't really care who as they both have the making of a world class shot stopper or at least a very good one. Both of them are going to make a lot of mistakes the main thing is that they need to learn from an experienced goalie. Someone like Gaurdelban or a host of other experienced goalies that Roma have because frankly both are mistake prone as they don't have the experience. They have all the skill but they need someone to mold them just like basically every other player on the Roma team.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's hard to say, because I have only seen 1 game where Zotti played. Peli was great last season, but has made my opinion about him doubtful this season. Anyway I think it's also very much up to whole team's uncertainty that affects on players and Peli can improve a lot. What I've heard is Zotti has done well so keep'em both and give'em confidence and time, because they are young ;) .

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
I am not convinced by either honestly. I thought Pelizzoli made great progress last season and during the Olympics for Italia, but he has been awful in his positioning and anticipation this season. I guess having Serie A's best defense last season really hid Pelizzoli's flaws.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
According to Channel 4 (everyone's fave site..haha)

Roma are searching for a new goalkeeper after a string of disappointing performances from Ivan Pelizzoli.

Defeat to Lazio in the derby may have been the last straw, as the ‘keeper was left out of the side for their next game against Atalanta.

Pelizzoli was said to have been ill at the weekend but his omission fuelled rumours he had been dropped.

Roma’s sporting director Franco Baldini is now said to be chasing Finland international Jussi Jaaskelainen, who currently plays for Bolton.

There is also an alleged interest in Marco Storari, Messina’s 28-year-old shot-stopper. His contract expires in 2005 and he is said to be a Roma supporter.

Last season Pelizzoli was hailed as a saviour when he let in just 19 strikes all season, compared to Scudetto winners Milan who conceded 24 and Juventus who leaked 42 goals.

However, Roma have already conceded 27 goals in Serie A so far this term.

Great things were expected of Pelizzoli given that he is recognised as the Italian No 2 behind Gianluigi Buffon.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jaaskelainen is not better than Peli or Zotti. If we take anyone, it should be an experienced top level goalie who can bring fresh observation on either Peli or Zotti. Almost like a goalie coach, but more a mentor.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
If we look to replace Pelizzoli as the number one, it should be someone class and not someone possibly marginally better. Frey would suit me just fine...

As for the question at hand; I say sell Pelizzoli if we manage to sign a great keeper, because Pelizzoli will never be truly truly great and he will generate possibly three times more money than selling Zotti would.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Unless we receive a really big offer for Peli, I don't see a reason to replace him. I doubt we can attract a world class keeper, and we have many other areas which need more strenghtening than the goalkeeper position.
About the original question _ peli for me, Zotti has never really convinced me of his talent. I think we should sell Zotti and get an experienced keeper.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Deano said:
Jaaskelainen is not better than Peli or Zotti. If we take anyone, it should be an experienced top level goalie who can bring fresh observation on either Peli or Zotti. Almost like a goalie coach, but more a mentor.
Yep, he is 29 years old, experienced in Bolton playing there over 6 seasons and Finland NT's second goalie, but not good enough to be Roma's 1st goalie. If Southampton sells Niemi, he could be the choice...

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
i think generally we are thinking to high of most of our youngsters.
on paper it would be awesome if all of them develop into some classy guys.financially of course a dream.
on topic i'd go with Zotti.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have Curci! He is going to be a star keeper. Sell Ivan and Zotti, get an experienced keeper that could teech Curci a thing or two. And in few years we have one of the best keepers on the world. :)

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
If only our transfer "guru" didn't deal Lupatelli (and Chiellini) this off-season. Both are having strong years at Fiorentina. :moan:
I went w/ Zotti, but prefered Lupatelli above all. Italy does have a lot of good GKs.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Those two moves were very very bad. Lupatelli I can understand as he was injured and Roma's defence was very good but the Chiellini move Roma really dropped the ball. Oh and TurtelMan Curci has the same problems as both Pelizzoli and Zotti, young and inexperienced and trouble with timing on crosses etc.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I'd want to leave too if I wasn't part of the club's future plans. I sense that Lupatelli wasn't valued or considered here.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Indeed I had only seen Chiellini play 1 Serie B mach and a handful of U19 games before this season and I thought he was quite crap :rolleyes: but in Serie A he has proven me wrong. His technique isnt great, but hes a running machine. Hes like Lima except hes not as dodgy on the ball and can tackle.

Lupatelli is a class keeper but it is still a toss up IMO for whether hes better than Peli...

Curci is a good young goalie and an U19 international, but I predict he will be onloan to Teramo or something like this next year.

Oh and can someone tell me what happened to Marco Paoloni. He was a major part of the Italy U19 2003 europan championship win. Some great saves made and very solid. Last season we loaned him Teramo, he probably played like 3 games and Ive never heard of him since. Looked a good goalie in the making :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts