Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03/04/2004. Brazil legend Pele has compiled a list of the "FIFA 100" greatest living footballers. This marks the 100th anniversary of the foundation of FIFA. There are actually 125 names in the list.

ARGENTINA Alfredo Di Stefano Daniel Passarella Diego Maradona Gabriel Batistuta Hernan Crespo Javier Saviola Javier Zanetti Juan Sebastian Veron Mario Kempes Omar Sivori

BELGIUM Franky van der Elst Jean-Marie Pfaff Jan Cuelemens

BRAZIL Cafu Carlos Alberto Djalma Santos Falcao Milton Santos Junior Pele Rivaldo Rivelino Roberto Carlos Romario Ronaldinho Ronaldo Socrates Zico

BULGARIA Hristo Stoichkov

CAMEROON Roger Milla

CHILE Pablo Figueroa Ivan Zamorano

COLOMBIA Carlos Valderrama

CROATIA Davor Suker

CZECH REPUBLIC Josef Masopust Pavel Nedved

DENMARK Brian Laudrup Michael Laudrup Peter Schmeichal

ENGLAND Alan Shearer Bobby Charlton David Beckham Gary Linekar Gordon Banks Kevin Keegan Michael Owen

FRANCE David Trezeguet Didier Deschamps Eric Cantona Jean-Pierre Papin Just Fontaine Lilian Thuram Marcel Desailly Marius Tresor Michel Platini Patrick Vieira Raymond Kopa Robert Pires Thierry Henry Zinedine Zidane G

ERMANY Franz Beckenbauer Gerd Mueller Jurgen Klinsmann Karl-Heinz Rummenigge Lothar Matthaus Michael Ballack Oliver Kahn Paul Breitner Sepp Maier Uwe Seeler

GHANA Abedi Pele

HUNGARY Ferenc Puskas

IRELAND Roy Keane

ITALY Alessandro Del Piero Alessandro Nesta Christian Vieri Dino Zoff Francesco Totti Franco Baresi Giampiero Boniperti Giacinto Fachetti Gianluca Buffon Gianni Rivera Giuseppe Bergomi Paolo Rossi Paolo Maldini Roberto Baggio

JAPAN Hidetoshi Nakata

LIBERIA George Weah

MEXICO Hugo Sanchez

NETHERLANDS Clarence Seedorf Dennis Bergkamp Edgar Davids Frank Rijkaard Johan Neeskens Johan Cruyff Marco Van Basten Patrick Kluivert Rene van de Kerkhof Rob Rensenbrink Ruud Gullit Ruud van Nistelrooy Willie van de Kerkhof

NIGERIA Jay-Jay Okocha

NORTHERN IRELAND George Best

PARAGUAY Romerito

PERU Teofilo Cubillas

POLAND Zbigniew Boniek

PORTUGAL Eusebio Luis Figo Rui Costa

ROMANIA Gheorghe Hagi RUSSIA Rinat Disayev

SCOTLAND Kenny Dalglish

SENEGAL El Hadji Diouf

SOUTH KOREA Hong Myung-Bo

SPAIN Emilio Butragueno Luis Enrique Raul

TURKEY Emre Belozoglu Rustu Recber

UKRAINE Andriy Shevchenko

URUGUAY Enzo Francescoli

UNITED STATES (women) Michelle Akers Mia Hamm

SA Europe

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
With all due respect... is it really necessary to post this misguided aberration in more than one place? We already have a thread where that ludicrous list can be properly massacred, here.

You're all welcome to join. That list is, indeed, stupid beyond belief. :wallbang:

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Garrincha said:
With all due respect... is it really necessary to post this misguided aberration in more than one place? We already have a thread where that ludicrous list can be properly massacred, here.

You're all welcome to join. That list is, indeed, stupid beyond belief. :wallbang:
Agreed completly. and closed.

then again, I opened it. It is fun to bash Pele's football knowledge. I mean like including two women from USA only to have someone from that country :D Not even the best female players.

Kluivert. :D

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Who ever the list consists of it's always going to be so debateable for the most obvious of reasons.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
no bashing of Milan players. - kris
I guess you couldn't come up with a comeback for that uh? :D :D :D

O REI PELE "THE GREATEST EVER"

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I am proud that my beloved Dennis Bergkamp is in the list of his top players of all time... :stuckup: :proud:

However, I still think this list is really bad and very subjective. I can't understand why Beckham is there while there's many players who are better than him but not included in the list (e.g. Garrincha, Yashin). Heck...he even forgot (or maybe doesn't know)who is the most successful Korean player ever, Cha Bum Kun.

(P.S : It looks like there're two version of the list. One with Van Basten name on it and another without Van Basten name. Seriously, if he really forgot Van Basten, I think he is really a dork. I am even sure that Van Basten is individually better than Pelè.)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
(P.S : It looks like there're two version of the list. One with Van Basten name on it and another without Van Basten name. Seriously, if he really forgot Van Basten, I think he is really a dork. I am even sure that Van Basten is individually better than Pelè.)
Pele's original list is the one without Marco Van Basten, Uwe Seeler and Roberto Rivelino, all players who were added by FIFA after the whole world started pointing out the original list's numerous flaws. Those players were added just to avoid a bigger embarassment, but even with them the list is full of holes.

I've also read that Van Basten was initially excluded not by Pele, but by FIFA, due to politics: Apparently Van Basten refused to participate in some promotional photo sessions for FIFA, and his exclusion was a retaliation (only corrected when the international community started complaining). :yuck:

And about that last sentence, Zhuge... you're nucking futs. ;) :D

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
However, I still think this list is really bad and very subjective. I can't understand why Beckham is there while there's many players who are better than him but not included in the list (e.g. Garrincha, Yashin).
Apparently one of the criteria is they´d have to be living players/former players. Unfortunately both the mentioned legends have passed away.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Dagoods said:
I guess you couldn't come up with a comeback for that uh? :D :D :D

O REI PELE "THE GREATEST EVER"
There was nothing to make a comeback for. you just said some great players was a bad one. "Debating" with you is like watching the same show over and again and that is not something I fancy.

Besides I never bashed Pele, I said I like to bash his football knowledge.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
Heck...he even forgot (or maybe doesn't know)who is the most successful Korean player ever, Cha Bum Kun.
To even have players from south Korea, Japan, Senegal, Ghana and a couple of other unnamed players but not one from Sweden like Liedholm. Or anyone from Yoguslavia/Serbia.

And Maradona was the greatest.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Did Dagoods actually insult someone or did he just "bash" Milan players?
All Dagoods said was this: You shouldn't be bashing O Rei, because he has won 3 World Cups, scored 1282 goals, 2 Libertadores, and 2 Intercontinental Cups...

and on one ocassion he took a P:howler: :howler:p on The golden boy and co.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
There is no question Pele has an outstanding football knowledge and is an outright legend in the game.But IMO the guy is full of himself when he talks,I heard him of speaking so highly of himself.Sorry but footballers don't do that others should.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts