Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentina, France, Italy and England will reach World Cup semifinals, Pele says

MEXICO, April 26 (DS) - Brazilian soccer legend Pele on Thursday picked Argentina, France, Italy and England as his favorites to reach the World Cup semifinals, while giving Real Madrid midfielder Zinedine Zidane accolades as the world's best soccer player, the EFE News Agency stated. .
Pele said at a Mexico City soccer event: "Today, before the World Cup, the best four teams for me are Argentina, France, which is doing very well, Italy, which is back to playing good soccer, and England. Those are the four that are doing well at this time."
According to Pele, making predictions for the World Cup is difficult because "it is a one-month tournament with six matches - seven if you make it to the finals." Among his favorites, the former Brazilian striker also cited Brazil, "because of its World Cup traditions," as well as Spain, Portugal and Croatia, the latter of "which are doing well but no one notices them." Pele did not rule out any surprises from African teams, such as current Olympic gold medallist Cameroon that could easily reach the semifinals as well.
French midfielder Zinedine Zidane, meanwhile, is the best player to emerge in the last 10 years, Pele said, citing his stellar performances for the clubs he has played and France's 1998 World Cup title.
"In my opinion, to be considered good, (a player) has to play two, three championships, go to a World Cup, and in the last 10 years, Zidane has been the best player," he announced.
Before 8,000 students who had won scholarships from Telefonos de Mexico, Pele said he also admired people such as Pope John Paul II and former South African President Nelson Mandela.
The Brazilian soccer king also declared people are overreacting to violence at soccer matches, underscoring that the real violence takes place in society due to a lack of food, work and services.
"In soccer, we have matches all over the world every day, and the number of people who go to see them is large. There's no violence, only at one or two matches, but there is violence in society because the people are oppressed," he said, adding that his greatest dream is to see Brazil "socially balanced and rid of poverty." Regarding his greatest sorrow, Pele again referred to his own country, which he described as rich in resources but stricken with poverty and corruption.

L

·
0 Posts
tell me if i'm wrong but how could be argentina, france and england in the semi?
don't one of those team have to beat another before?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lets look at the permuatations: France have to come 1st or 2nd in Group A: if they come 1st they play either England or Argentina; if they come 2nd they play either England or Argentina. His prediction is technically impossible, therefore Pele is speaking from his rear end. :rolleyes:

Im presuming Pele means that either of those 4 teams has a very good chance of reaching the Semis, rather than all 4 will reach the Semis.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Well it is Pelé!

He's probably had a word with Blatter and swapped England with Germany...

He get's everything else he wants from FIFA.....

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I assume he meant these 4 teams have very good chances to reach semis, sad that either Argentina or England will be eliminated so early though:D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Pele said that heis favourite team to win the whole thing is Italy, man, he cursed them, everytime he says that a team is going to win, they fail...Holland in 90, Colombia in 94, Spain in 98, i feel sorry for Italy, anyway i'm glad he can't say Argentina, since he's brazilian, and that would be wrong for him to say that..

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
ChelseaBear said:

Well it is Pelé!

He's probably had a word with Blatter and swapped England with Germany...

He get's everything else he wants from FIFA.....
:) :cool: :D Maybe Pelé can be lone of the linesmen for the final, he doing the Sao Paulo Gran Prix he showed the whole world how skillful he is with the flad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts