Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pelé: ‘’Luxemburgo is one of the best coaches in the world’’

15/01/2005
“It´s a pleasure to be in the Cathedral of Football”. With these words, the mythical Pelé was giving thanks for the “attention Real Madrid was paying with him by inviting him to their stadium”. In a crowded press conference, the legendary scorer from Santos had words of praise for Luxemburgo, “one of the best coaches in the world and without doubt, the best in South America”, he praised the newly signed Gravesen (“I´ve heard wonderful things about him”), he made flattering comments about the young Robinho, “the best player of Brazil” and he admitted that he likes the teams “that play great football as Real Madrid do”. From one great to another great.

Butragueño, Vicepresident of Real Madrid, accompanied by the Football Director, Arrigo Sacchi, was the host in this presentation of Pelé to the media: “It´s a honor to welcome someone that made something magnificent of this sport. Talking about football is talking about Pelé. It´s a pride for Real Madrid to have Pelé staying the weekend with us. Today is a very special day”, Butragueño stated.

Pelé started by saying that “it was a very big pleasure to be in the Cathedral of Football with my friends. By the way: this one (pointing out Sacchi, who was sitting beside him, and whom he gives a hug) was the last coach who beat me. He beat me”. Sacchi smiles and says: “We will play the return game in the next 50 years”. After the hug, the press conference started.

-What do you feel being at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium?
-To be here makes me happy, I have visited Madrid and the Stadium many times though it´s a long time since I last passed by here. I had a very affectionate reception by the Club, especially from Emilio Butragueño (whom he hugs), who was a player known worldwide.

-What references do you have for Vanderlei Luxemburgo?
-I have all the possible references in the world. I know him long time ago, I worked five years ago with him, when I worked at Santos Club and my son was the goalkeeper there. From then on, I´ve known his work. I followed his career, and everywhere he worked, he won. Fortunately, he was also a champion with Santos. There´s something he never says: When I was finishing my career, he was playing at Flamenco, though he wasn´t one of the best players. From then on, I knew Vanderlei. He´s much better coach than player.

-Do you think his sign-up is a wise move?
-Without doubt, in my opinion he´s one of the best coaches in the world and surely, the best coach of South America. Football is full of surprises and anything can happen, but as coach he is a very good decision by Real Madrid.

-What do you think of the season of Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo?
-As you know, I always voted Roberto Carlos in the elections of the best players in the world, and he deserved to be among the three best players, though usually people chose forwards and midfielders. As a defender he´s a great player. Regarding Ronaldo, I see that he has improved very much in this last year, he is on better form and he´s at a good moment.

-What do you think about Robinho?

-I know him three years ago and he´s the best player we have in Brazil. A good question is whether he´s prepared and I think so, he could play in Europe, but depending on the team he would have to adapt as Kaká, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho did… Kaká didn´t have the same strength when he first arrived and Robinho would also need that time, but he´s already the best player of Brazil. Some people call him “Robinho Nascimento”, but he´s not my relative (smiles).

- What do you think about the recently signed Gravesen?

-I have seen him play a couple of times, I heard about him and people say wonderful things, they say he´s very good. It has been a surprise because his sign-up has been very quick. If Real Madrid has signed him up it´s because he´s good.

-What do you think of the current Real Madrid?
-I like all the teams that display a great football and Real Madrid play a great football. Of course I like Real Madrid.

-What approach do you see in the future?

-When a team doesn´t get good results, the fans start criticizing, but now with Luxemburgo they are going to do some very defined work and the players will understand that one star cannot win the game on his own, His work, his way of making the players aware of the group spirit, will be very good and that´s how the team will win. Luxemburgo will push things forward, apart from the quality of Real Madrid´s players.

-This is a process of renewal.

-Renewal is a normal thing in all the teams, every year there are new players and others leave. But a team such as Real Madrid haven´t got much time to explain their changes to the fans, they must always win, win and win. It´s their responsibility as the big team they are.

realmadrid.com

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Pele, the best ever! I posted pictures of his hugs and him in practice with us in the Photo Album section if anybody wants to see them.

Nice to see Real Madrid showing him a good time.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Every single player, team "blessed" by Pele can escape from his good will. This time...

Perez did too much in propagating. For no reason, he invited Pele.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Ivan, Perez came to visit his close friend Luxa. And of course Perez profited from. But that is a reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts