Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have jus read an interesting news story about the events that will be happening at the Giants Stadium before Red Bull New York take on New England in the Bull's first home match since the Red Bull takeover. Apparently past Cosmo's legends - Donadoni, Pele and Beckenbauer will all be ther contributing in sum way. Rumour has it tht Red Bull plan to appoint Donadoni as Johnston's replacement in the summer and have Pele as a scout of sorts and Beckenbauer as a behind the scenes director of sum sort. It would be a highly interestin trio who wud raise the profile of MLS and NEW YORK RED BULLS massively! More importantly they wud be able to attract top quality veteran players to the club.
I can imagine that Donadoni will be new manager and will bring players like Costacurta or Maldini to the club with him! This wud be hugely beneficial to the club and MLS as a whole, no?
Wot do u all think? What players do you reckon Donadoni would entice to the club? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I am weary of a new NY Cosmos...they are in a large part responsible for the destruction of the old NASL

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No offence, but ... KEEP THE OLD FARTS IN EUROPE !!!

Chinaglia has open up a LARGE can of worms with his call for importing "stars" to the club ... CRAP !!!

Though I was and am a big Cosmos fan, I don't think the model applies to MLS.
Right now, there are "NO RED BULLS" in the US National team pool, NONE; with only Marvel Wynne having the potential of stepping up.

During the Cosmos era, WE didn't qualify for ANY WORLD CUP because there were 10 non-americans on the field at any moment, very few American kids were allowed to develope their game enough to make a difference to the national team. The Cosmos developed more Paraguians than Americans, IMHO, so Let's hope we don't have a repeat.

History is GREAT, we all need to look to historical markers to reference where WE are and where WE want to go; I hope WE don't go back to the FAILED NASL model.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously NY wunt be able to have more thn the allowed amount of foreigners in the team therefore the Cosmos thing wudnt happen. Ther wud be praps 3 European players and thn Guevara (who has a green card soon) and 2 young foreigners.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, Marvell Wynne isnt the only potential USA player. Altidore and Arvizu are highly likely to be regulars in the future and Tony Meola is in the latest squad! If only so tht he can get his 100th cap! Magee is also gd.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No offence but Meola's inclusion in the recent National Team call up is "ceremonial", IMHO. US soccer wants to award him is 100 cap for his long years of service. This is not to say that Tony is not an able keeper, he is and continues to prove how valuable he is to the very young Red Bulls "D-fence" playing in front of him. That said, he has NO CHANCE of making the final 23.

In Altidore & Arvizu we have 2 young men with talent but, I don't think either will see any measurable time with the Red Bulls 1st team for at least 1 to 2 years. Altidore may be able to step in sooner rather than later considering their lack of depth at striker, but he is still years away from making a breakthrough, IMHO.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
ImmerWerder said:
I am weary of a new NY Cosmos...they are in a large part responsible for the destruction of the old NASL
Yep and i think we are about to see them become the Chelsea of MLS.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Chivas has been able to get around the salery cap thing, so I can't see why Red Bulls NY won't do the same.

This is about marketing, it's difficult to market a loosing team ... they will spend money, lots of it, IMHO. They are already making low rumbeling noises.

·
Registered
353 Posts
US soccer should only import Euro Veterens that still have something to offer and dont cost much cash, if they can bring something to the team that currently isnt available so be it, but dont go down the old road its full of pot holes and inbred hicks who like the taste of human flesh.

Yuri D is a perfect example, hes getting old now but he still has it, he had it for Bolton, and hes still hungry and he never really was an A Grade star so he never really was on huge bucks in europe, Hes playing in the states now because he loves playing and he likes the US.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Vaughany said:
I have jus read an interesting news story about the events that will be happening at the Giants Stadium before Red Bull New York take on New England in the Bull's first home match since the Red Bull takeover. Apparently past Cosmo's legends - Donadoni, Pele and Beckenbauer will all be ther contributing in sum way. Rumour has it tht Red Bull plan to appoint Donadoni as Johnston's replacement in the summer and have Pele as a scout of sorts and Beckenbauer as a behind the scenes director of sum sort. It would be a highly interestin trio who wud raise the profile of MLS and NEW YORK RED BULLS massively! More importantly they wud be able to attract top quality veteran players to the club.
I can imagine that Donadoni will be new manager and will bring players like Costacurta or Maldini to the club with him! This wud be hugely beneficial to the club and MLS as a whole, no?
Wot do u all think? What players do you reckon Donadoni would entice to the club? :thumbsup:
Well i got a call from the Red Bulls yesterday asking me if i would like to go see the game april 8. They said Pele, Beckenbaur and Shakira would all be their for a so called "celebration" of soccer.

I like the fact that the Red Bulls have a go get them attitude with the fans. They got my number from ticketmaster and offered me some good ticket deals. They even sent 800 fans free of charge to Washington to see the home opener.

I like this ownership.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I vas beeg star! I plays vith Pele!"
WTF. Spk the queen's English will ya!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't like what I hear/read in the media about the possible changes to come for this team ... Giorgio Chinaglia is mouthing off again about another name change, get this ... Red Bull Cosmos.

Reports are that he, Chinaglia, will be taking over the team, with Shep Messing taking Lalas' vacated job. The reports are that they still want to spend "lots of money" to bring the cast aways from Real Madrid, and that the Red Bull organization is balking on the proposed stadium deal in Harrison to stay at Giants stadium to play on astro turf scared with permanent "football lines" !!!!

I pray that this is a joke being played on US New Yorkers ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/sports/soccer/19soccer.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Purger said:
Please leave the Cosmos out of this!

and leave "football lines" out of it!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Did anyone see Pele's press confrence after the game It was a classic.

Reporter; How do you compare the state of the MLS to the USL

Pele; well you know back then we had only three American players on the team, Then looking around the room he was one looking at Shep, and they were all crap. I wish we had some of these guys today back then and the league would never have folded. Sheps face just dropped. :howler:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Purger said:
He really said that?:eekani::howler:
Yah he did I couldnt believe I heard him right, it was on the Metro report on MSG. He said it with such a straight face untill he got a reaction from the media he then smiled.

Another reporter asked him the stupid question will he put on a jersey and play again for the Red Bulls, Yet insted of calling the guy an idiot he said to be a professional athlete takes a physical commitment that he doesnt have any more, and putting older players from around the world is not the way to go and the US has developed better with the way its been handled so far.

·
Registered
69,067 Posts
about Shep, I always think he is on drugs because he goes nuts everytime something happens during the game. I like him and he is a great commentator but sometimes he needs to calm down a bit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts