Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The probable appointment of Jose Pekerman as Argentina coach has been postponed after Argentinian football association (AFA) boss Julio Grondona was forced to cancel talks with Pekerman to fly to Brazil for a meeting about the Pan-American Cup.

"I spoke with Pekerman by phone and we agreed that we will not be able to meet this week because we have to do other things," Grondona said.

It has been widely reported, though, that Grondona has already persuaded Pekerman to take the position, and that is why the AFA are apparently in no hurry to make their announcement.

Many of the players xpected to come into the national team in the next few years, such as Riquelme, Saviola, D'Alessandro, Maxi Rodriguez, Chori Dominguez, Romeo, Saja, Lux and Cetto, have already been coached by Pekerman at youth level.

Pekerman is also thought to have already chosen his assistant in Estidiantes de la Plata coach Nestor Craviotto

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The meeting already took place. It was very private and Pekerman is considering the possibilty. Also, I would not rule out Bianchi just yet. Ultimately it will be either Pekerman or Bianchi.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Both can do the job.

I am sure both can bring our pride back to us.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
sebastien said:
Many of the players xpected to come into the national team in the next few years, such as Riquelme, Saviola, D'Alessandro, Maxi Rodriguez, Chori Dominguez, Romeo, Saja, Lux and Cetto, have already been coached by Pekerman at youth level.
I think it makes a lot of sense to appoint him for this reason, though his merits are probably solid enough considering he was chosen in the top 5 of world national team coaches in the world (regardless of how unofficial the awards might have been, few U21 coaches stir up that much attention). :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Pekerman has no rivals for Argentina job

Friday 12th July 2002

Argentinian football federation (AFA) president Julio Grondona has revealed that Jose Pekerman is the only candidate for the national-team post.

"We have already had a meeting with Pekerman and he is the only person we talking to at the moment," he explained. "We spoke to him about what the job would entail and I hope that negotiations will be concluded shortly."

Grondona dismissed suggestions that the federation were stalling over the appointment of Pekerman, who is currently in charge of Argentina's youth set-up, in the hope that a more attractive candidate to replace Marcelo Bielsa would emerge.

"It is taking a while because there is a lot to sort out," insisted the AFA chief. "Firstly we need to discuss what work needs to be done with the national team and, only when we have agreed on that, can we talk about personal terms.

"The contract may only be for two years initially, then we could see where we are after the Copa America in Peru in 2004."

Many of the players expected to come into the national team in the next few years, such as Riquelme, Saviola, D'Alessandro, Maxi Rodriguez, Chori Dominguez, Romeo, Saja, Lux and Cetto, have already been coached by Pekerman at youth level.

He is also thought to have already chosen his assistant - Estidiantes de la Plata coach Nestor Craviotto.

Bielsa stood down as Argentina boss when his contract expired on June 30.

The coach, who had numerous run-ins with the AFA in the build-up to the World Cup over pay, failed to guide the pre-tournament favourites past the group stages in Japan and South Korea.

onefootball ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts