Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We knew this was coming, Pedro Manuel Torres, better known as "Mantorras" to the masses was forced to retire at the age of 28 due to his severe knee injury in February of 2002 and our club's doctor telling him that he was good to play, more specifically "Dr." Bernando Vasconcelos.

I thought Mantorras would leave Benfica after 2 seasons for an AC Milan, Real, Barca, Man U, basically the "hottest" teams at the time, this wasn't to happen due to that bad injury.
I would describe him as someone who was both faster and could dribble better than Samuel Eto with a sense of position of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

A tear came to my eye when he first came off the bench after surgery and scored against Boavista :proud: see min 2:36 belowOrQjPXXJXf4

Best of Luck to you Pedro

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Man I thought this guy was going to be huge when I saw him in 2001 during his first season and he probably would have been. Another case of sky was the limit if it wasn't for that huge knee injury he had.

Good guy too, good luck to you Pedro Mantorras.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Very sad :( At least he got to play in the World Cup with his country and win the league with Benfica. I first heard about him when Benfica put a massive buyout clause in his contract, and I also remember watching the goal because that was the only season the Portuguese Liga was broadcast here.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I still remember hisvvery first game with Benfica. He was fouled ten times within the first half hour - such was the fear of his speed.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great shot on him too, bloody could have been somewhat a cheaper replica of the great Eusebio. :moan:
Somehow I only compare Eusebio to Ruud Gullit, his speed and shot were very similar years apart. Not sure who I would personally compare Mantorras to other than a faster and better dribbler than Eto with great positioning like Ruud VN

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Sad,could be one of the great players in the world.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
A tear came to my eye when he first came off the bench after surgery and scored against Boavista :proud: see min 2:36
I remember that, too. That was a magical moment! Jus as his goal against Maritimo in the same season.
After all, the very big career wasn't meant to be for Mantorras, not due to lack of talent or attitude but due to injuries, but then again, what can be bigger than being key player in a championship-campaign for Benfica, which he most obviously was in 2005. His late goals brought the trophy to us in the end.
Grande Mantorras! Sempre serás um simbolo do nosso clube! O orgulho do orgulhoso! :proud:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts