Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should've started this thread earlier, before I bought my new monitor today...just thought of it now! oh well :rolleyes:

I bought the Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX. It's a 17" flatscreen CRT monitor, for 226,000 Lebanese Pounds equivalent to $150 USD.

For those tech freaks out there (or PC hardware savvy people, more appropriately said ;) ) what do u think the is best 17" CRT flatscreen around?

Thing is, I didn't want to fork out like $400-$500 for an *AVERAGE* LCD monitor.

At the electronics shop I bought it at, they only had Samsung and LG monitors. The LG Flatron looked SUPER COOL and costed $182....but it had the same exact specs as the Samsung I eventually bought. I thought to myself, should I pay $30 extra just for something that looks cooler even though it's the same performance? :confused:

I quickly decided on the samsung, before temptation got the better of my wallet!! :groan:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
personally, i like philips monitor than others. and i believe it's better than samsung or lg (koreans) in performance and age. but regarding the skins/casing, koreans are better. i use philips 107ET-51 and it only cost me $156 USD :cool:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The brand of monitor doesnt matter as much as its specs. Things one should look for in a monitor.

Frequency at specific resolutions: ie 85Hz at 1024 x 768 is good. Anthing below 60Hz is not good.

Dot pitch is another important factor. The finer the the dot pitch the more sharper (and better) the image will be. Anything above 0.26mm is bad in my opinion.

Note: Yes i am talking about CRT monitors.

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Borba said:
The brand of monitor doesnt matter as much as its specs. Things one should look for in a monitor.

Frequency at specific resolutions: ie 85Hz at 1024 x 768 is good. Anthing below 60Hz is not good.

Dot pitch is another important factor. The finer the the dot pitch the more sharper (and better) the image will be. Anything above 0.26mm is bad in my opinion.

Note: Yes i am talking about CRT monitors.
well mine 75Hz at 1024 x 768 and isn't flickering at all (it flickers below 75Hz )

Here are my Samsung's specs, tell me what u guys think:

Type: 17"(43cm) DynaFlat T (40.6cm viewable)
Deflection angle: 90 °
Dot Pitch: 0.20mm (Horizontal)
Screen type: Aluminized tri-color phosphor dot trio with black matrix.

Anti-doming invar shadow mask.

Multi-layer coated with anti-static.

Maximum Resolution
1280 Dots, 1024 Lines

Active Display
Horizontal 312 ± 4 mm

Vertical 234 ± 4 mm

Synchronization
Horizontal 30 ~ 70 kHz
Vertical 50 ~ 160 Hz

Input Signal Definition
Video Signal RGB, Analog 0.7 Vpp positive at 75 ohms
Sync Signal Separate H/V sync, TTL level, positive or negative

Display Color
Unlimited

Maximum Pixel Clock
110 MHz

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I prefer TFT monitors, as they look better and give you much more desk space. I'd never go back to a CRT monitor. Check out www.iiyama.co.uk for value for money TFT monitors. I've currently got a 17" TFT Proview, but will be upgrading to a 19/20" before the year is out.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
17" is a bit old news now .. the lowest price/performance ratio for crt's is at 19" now.

The best monitor company is Eizo. Unfortunately the monitors they make cost a lot :(

Whatever monitor you get make sure it's got 100Hz at the resolution you want to use it.

That means 110kHz horizontal scanning frequency for a 19" meaning 100Hz at 1280x1024 and 130kHz horizontal scanning frequency for a 21"(22") meaning 100Hz at 1600x1200.

Also make sure the bandwidth is at leat 290Mhz otherwise the text will be fuzzy at high resolutions with high refresh rates.

I highly recommend recommend a refurbished 21" flat Eizo monitor, but not older than 4 years. These things last 10 years easily and can be found dirt cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts