Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I hate it when players that have great talent say stuff like this. Pauleta told France Football Magazine on Friday that in his opinion France are the favorites to win the World Cup or otherwise he thinks it will be between Argentina,Italy,Spain, or Brazil. Come on! You can't say stuff like that when your national team finished undefeated in WC qualifing and currently will have what seems to be a first round bye in Group D in the World Cup. I just don't understand how you a player like Pauleta, who is an extremely good player can say that about his national team which has many weapons(mainly offensefly). Man someone needs to talk to him, because it looks like he has no faith in his teammates/countrymen. I hope you don't have this attitude come June. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Maybe he's just being objective. Yeah, I know, perish the thought. ;)

Seriously, he really didn't say anything about Portugal. He just named a few others as being favorites. Maybe he's being cautiously optimistic. Any athlete worth his salt feels he/she can win any given event. Otherwise, why bother showing up?

I think any serious conversation about WC 2002 has to include Portugal as a favorite or at least worthy of serious consideration. I'm pretty sure Pauleta knows that. :)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Of course he says sh*t like that, its just giving the other coutnries the respect they deserve, and thats what Pauleta is doing, he is respecting them, not fearing them.

Its a big difference & trust he knows what your teams is capable of.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Pauleta is being realistic. I personally am not 'expecting' Portugal to win the WC. If they win it, bonus.

Like Pauleta, I say if they make it to the semi finals then they have accomplished enough. Hell, for a small country like Portugal that's like winning it all.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Nothing like mind games :) !!!

What would have happened if Pauleta said Portugal would win ???

The headlines would say : " PAULETA ROARS PORTUGAL ARE GOOD THINGS " and sh!t like that !!!
Now think Guys.... He plays in France , I am sure he doesnt want to be hounded by every french man and there dog evry moment he is in France !!!

BTW - I Think our Guys are quietly confident , I dont think you will see any of our players come out & say we will win !! I thik it will be a very low key approach ;)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Pauleta has done the exact right thing.

Fee-Go said:
Pauleta is being realistic. I personally am not 'expecting' Portugal to win the WC. If they win it, bonus.

Like Pauleta, I say if they make it to the semi finals then they have accomplished enough. Hell, for a small country like Portugal that's like winning it all.

I agree.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Exactly it Couto5. And I would encourage any Portuguese posters in this forum to keep it low key as well.

If we go around saying stuff like "Forca Portugal this...and Forca Portugal that...they will be in here down our throats. We don't want them to have the last laugh.

Some people forget that Portugal was viewed as an underachiever before Euro2000. I miss those days. Why? In those days we had less people dissing Portugal simply because they didn't admire the Portuguese NT.

If we provoke them they'll turn on the Portuguese NT. Skeptical? Read on.

That's life folks! People are like lions, they will gather in a herd and attack a single dominant lion if they feel threatened. And right now people are feeling threatened by the Portuguese NT. Not to say that the Portuguese NT is 'dominant' but they are receiving A LOT of attention.

Doesn't matter where you go whether in the Fiorentina forum, Milan forum, Real Madrid forum...people will inevitably criticize the player that has received TOO MUCH attention. They will poke holes, find flaws. You'll hear "he's not as good as people think".

First it was Nuno Gomes receiving attention because his Euro2000 performances. So Fiorentina fans watched and the skeptical ones ponced as soon as they didn't see Batistuta.

Same with Pauleta. I went into the Deportivo forum and someone was talking sh*t about Pauleta and how the French league isn't worth a dime and that's the only reason why he's scoring. Then I went into the French forum and saw the same thing. Mind you the Bordeaux fans aren't complaining.

Ditto with Rui. Ditto with Figo. Way too much attention for our players is crap because they will be criticised immensely.

All of a sudden you help your NT and people see the player as a solution to their problems. What a huge albatross to carry around one's neck.

So let's do our part and keep it low key. That's all I have to say about that.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Excellent post, Fee-go. Instead of taking exception everytime someone disses Portugal, why not view it for what it is, a token of respect?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Sebastian50 said:
Of course he says sh*t like that, its just giving the other coutnries the respect they deserve, and thats what Pauleta is doing, he is respecting them, not fearing them.

Its a big difference & trust he knows what your teams is capable of.

Respect all but fear none! Words to live by!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Or, how about everytime somebody says somebody else might be better than so and so, we don't take it as a slap in the face? Getting bent out of shape over every perceived slight shows a bit of insecurity if nothing else. :)

No, Fee-go, i'm not talking about you. There's a difference between unbridled passions and insecurities. :)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Or, how about everytime somebody says somebody else might be better than so and so, we don't take it as a slap in the face? Getting bent out of shape over every perceived slight shows a bit of insecurity if nothing else. :)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Dae said:
I have an even better idea: How about every time we fell inclined to defend Portugal NT or a player we don't resort to cheap shots at the opposing nationality, refrain from homophobic hysteria and plainly leave out bigoted views that reflect a poor upbringing... and perhaps the most important of all, we don't appoint ourselves as holy saviors of our great nation unless appointed to do so by the Portuguese consulate?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Dae said:
That's it exaclty. We can't let ourselves get bent out of shape. :angel: :lala:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Pila said:

I have an even better idea: How about every time we fell inclined to defend Portugal NT or a player we don't resort to cheap shots at the opposing nationality, refrain from homophobic hysteria and plainly leave out bigoted views that reflect a poor upbringing... and perhaps the most important of all, we don't appoint ourselves as holy saviors of our great nation unless appointed to do so by the Portuguese consulate?
Hey...I never resorted to homophobic hysteria! :stuckup:

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Fee-go, I wasn't pointing you out. We all know which who I'm talking about.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Fee-Go said:

That's it exaclty. We can't let ourselves get bent out of shape. :angel: :lala:
In your case, it's unbridled passion. In other's, it is insecurity and the ever annoying need to "represent". ;)

N

·
0 Posts
So what's Pauleta's status in regards to the Portugese NT? Is he a starter or currently second choice to Nuno Gomes and Jao Pinto?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts