Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that Benfica are interested in Pauleta from Deportivo, has anyone heard this?

Also, I believe we paid 6 million pounds for that Van Hooj guy, I believe we could have picked up Alan Boksic for 4 million, now I would take Boksic over Van H at 6 million, not to mention at a discount of 2 million pounds. Do you guys/gal think we over paid for VanH?

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Nelson,

surely you mean 6 000 000$ US and not Pounds....cause if JVA paid 6 million pounds for Pierre Van-i-can't-spell-his-name then he is crazy!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
To clarify - Pierre Van Halen cost $6M USD.

I don't know if I'm psyched about Pauleta in a Benfica uniform. I think he's overated and immature (i.e. - the near-disasterous hand-ball versus Hungary).

Or maybe I'm just missing Nuno (sniff) :(...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification boys! Nevertheless, I would still take Boksic over VanHooijdonk!!! To my records, 4 million pounds is about 6-6.5 million US. I hope we didn't get ripped!!!!! Only time will tell.

As for Pauleta, he really hasn't been given the opportunity. He was a scoring machine for Dep in the first half of last season, then he found himself riding the bench. Maybe my support stem from him being the lone Acoreano (as per Marco)on the select squad.

Viva o Benfica

·
International
5,629 Posts
Pauleta is a solid player...no Nuno but solid. I think he fits Heynckes new 4-4-2 system that he wants to install had Nuno stayed. Now he's a forward short so Pauleta would fit that strategy.

I still think we need an attacking(creative) midfielder in the middle as I don't like Chano and don't think Kaundaurov is consistent enough.

I really think we'll have nice team up front with Van Hoo and Joao Tomas...who by the way is an excellent goal scorer. We just need someone to open play from the middle, and that's where a Dani would come in or a Juninho.

Our Defense is going to be terrific.

It's going to be another good year for Portuguese futebol!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Hey Nelson I did not appreciate that little quib remark. I am not from the Acores but I support Paulete adamantly!

L

·
0 Posts
All we need is Gaucho from Estrela up front, and Juninho from Middlesborough in midfield. We'd be the cream of Portugal no doubt.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Today's "OJOGO" reports that Benfica's pursuing Ivan Dudic's Red Star Belgrade-teamate Mihajlo Pjanovic to replace Nuno. He's a 23-year old striker and that's all I know. Anyone else have any info on him?

As usual - RedEagle and I share the same brain (there's a half-wit Benfica fan joke in there somewhere). With the Meira situation close to being resolved, Benfica has made an incredible upgrade on the defensive side of the ball. Heynckes is an unabashed fan of Dudic already, and spares no praise on Meira either, asserting that "he will no doubt be on the national team within the year". Meira won't be ready to play this week, but their defense versus Olympique Lyon this Friday will be:

Dudic Marchena Ronaldo Escalona

Keep in mind that Ronaldo is filling in because Meira's not ready just yet. The "regular" starting D will be Dudic, Marchena, Escalona, and Meira. Solid :cool:. I also think the improvements in back will translate into Calado regaining his form of 1998/99.

That being said - Benfica's not going anywhere if they don't solve their central (offensive!) midfield issue. I don't know if Dani's the answer or not, but they've got to do something.

What was the name of that young Portuguese midfielder playing for Atletico Madrid again? :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marco,

Come on man, I was just pulling your chain! I wasn't looking for a written confrontation. I know you have always supported Pauleta. (Hand Shake?)

As for our midfield vacancy, how about Simao? I know it is a long shot because he has been quoted saying he wants to return as a lion. But if Joao Pinto can go to Sporting, then anything can happen!!!!

Any idea what barcelona would want as a transfer fee?
Perhaps Joao Pinto should have stayed and played the attacking mid role, a role he should have been playing all along!!!!!!

Viva o novo Benfica!!!!!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Simao's a definite talent, but he plays the same position as Poborsky, who is ready to sign a contract extension. I'm satisfied with Sabry and Poborsky on the wings, and Miguel is ready to come in off the bench too, so I don't think there's a real need for another wing (just my opinion!).

·
International
5,629 Posts
Razor, there's no half-wit joke, it's just that great Benfica minds think alike...but I could see the half wit relation :D

Hugo Leal, who probably is kicking himself for moving to a team that's going to play in the spanish 2nd division...A team that has Juninho which means he's riding the bench on the spanish 2nd division...talk about stupid :p

Although it would be nice to come up with an offensive midfielder, Benfica can do well as long as Kaundaurov plays from the back and distributes to Sabry/Poborsky and Calado supports. With one of the forwards playing slightly behind to create space. Nuno would have been perfect for this role because he's great with the ball on his feet and he passes well. But someone like Maniche can possibly play this role as long as he becomes consistent.

Anyhow these are just half-witted theories...we'll see what Heynckes does and what other presents JVA may have!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I wonder if Hugo thinks his father's so stupid NOW?!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
who cares?
Porto will slaugther everyone this season!

Pizzi, Alenitchev, Maric, Pavlin, Paredes, Deco, Domingos, and maybe Marcos Vinicius...what an attack!
:D

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Porto: the run is over...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts