Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yossi Benayoun is very close to get a Spanish passport. Since his parents are from Morocco he had the right to apply after 2 years only in Spain, and it looks like the process is almost done. The meaning is that this will open a lot more doors for Benayoun. In Spain you can only use 3 non-EU players, and having a Spanish passport means more top teams will allow themselves to have a look at him without wasting any of their 3 spots.

Giovanni Rosso is also very close to become an official Israel citizen. A bit late as far as the National team is concerned but this will give Haifa the chance to use 5 foreign players without giving up on Rosso. Rosso deserves the passport of course, but it's not like Haifa really needs it. ;)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Raanan said:
Yossi Benayoun is very close to get a Spanish passport. Since his parents are from Morocco he had the right to apply after 2 years only in Spain, and it looks like the process is almost done. The meaning is that this will open a lot more doors for Benayoun. In Spain you can only use 3 non-EU players, and having a Spanish passport means more top teams will allow themselves to have a look at him without wasting any of their 3 spots.

Giovanni Rosso is also very close to become an official Israel citizen. A bit late as far as the National team is concerned but this will give Haifa the chance to use 5 foreign players without giving up on Rosso. Rosso deserves the passport of course, but it's not like Haifa really needs it. ;)
Well, this will help Benayoun a lot, but it's only Yossi that could gain this passport, many others Israeli players could get the Spanish passport, as I believe most of our players are from sepharadic origin.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
This whole dilemma with European Passport issue can affect Israeli and Israeli players very much.

What will happen is that alot of players who have origin in Morroco, Tunisia and Algeria will try to get EU passports for Spain and France. They will be able, just like Dudu Awatt.

This can be benefecial for Israelis who might get in/might not get in to the EU in the next 10-15 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have some qeustions if you don't mind :)

does this mean that Benayoun would be considered "Spanish" and not "Israeli" when he's on a team?

how is Rosso becoming an israeli citizen, did he marry an israeli?

and how is Awatt a french citizen, was he born there or lived there?

thanks

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sarah221 said:
i have some qeustions if you don't mind :)

does this mean that Benayoun would be considered "Spanish" and not "Israeli" when he's on a team?

how is Rosso becoming an israeli citizen, did he marry an israeli?

and how is Awatt a french citizen, was he born there or lived there?

thanks
Yes. Benayoun would be considered an EU player, means there are no restriction. This increases his chances to make it in a big team.

Rosso is married to a Croatian named Morena. But they've been living here for the past 8 years, that's enough for him to apply for a passport.

About Dudu I am not sure, it has to do with his parents' origins probably, I just can't remember where they're from. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Raanan said:
About Dudu I am not sure, it has to do with his parents' origins probably, I just can't remember where they're from. :)
I am quite sure that Awatt's family come from North Africa. Generally those communities (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia) have an easier time getting French citizenship since they are former French colonies.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Mideast Mirage said:
I am quite sure that Awatt's family come from North Africa. Generally those communities (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia) have an easier time getting French citizenship since they are former French colonies.

:frustrat: Thats what i said!!! Freakin' eh!

In Morroco there is also the Spanish Compound where many lived and got Spanish citizenships, though Spain was bad in the 1950's so many went to VIVA LA ARGENTINA!

and also Liyban Yehudim went to Italia!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Raanan said:
Yes. Benayoun would be considered an EU player, means there are no restriction. This increases his chances to make it in a big team.

Rosso is married to a Croatian named Morena. But they've been living here for the past 8 years, that's enough for him to apply for a passport.

this might be a stupid question, lol, but does having a countries passport make you a full citizen with all the rights? and since he's been living there for so long, does Rosso speak hebrew?

yes i know i ask a lot of questions :D

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
Sarah221 said:
this might be a stupid question, lol, but does having a countries passport make you a full citizen with all the rights? and since he's been living there for so long, does Rosso speak hebrew?

yes i know i ask a lot of questions :D
About the right - absolutely. Benayoun is not getting only a Spanish passport, he's getting a Spanish citizenship which then will also allow him to get a passport since you have to be a citizen in order to get one. And with that he could also vote and all the other rights...

About Rosso, well normally foreginers can speak fluently after such a long time, in Israel too. Rosso, on the other hand, I don't know if he's lazy or what the reason is, but his Hebrew is very limited... it's really a bit embarrassing when you think about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts