Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is playing for the Under 21s tonight and it is live on Eurosport if anyone is interested.

Sorry if you all know this already but as you might have guessed I'm new to this forum.

I see some people have misinterpreted some of my comments I posted earlier, rather than start all out war I would just like to say the following.

As a fan I don't feel as though the club is any better prepared to win the League next season than it was when Evans was in sole charge.

I don't have the same faith in Houllier that some of you seem to have, I don't think he has a winners mentality, is a particularly good judge of players or has the tactical nous to be successful. Having said that I am prepared to give him one more season to prove me wrong.

Despite some of the good players he has bought he was also responsible for Heggem, Song, Ferri, Smicer & Meijer, all of whom have been big disapointments.

Contrary to what most of you think I believe that there are plenty of English players out there that are good enough, someone just needs to give them the oppurtunity to show it.

Roll on next season.

ps. Good to see that this forum isn't full of drivel about Zidane coming to Anfield !

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fair enough - oh and this forum has been full of the Zidane stuff mainly cause of me (I'll admit that). But even I've given that one up now.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It was full of the Zidane stuff until we failed to qualify for the CL! :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Damn, M, You beat me to it!! :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
we have'nt a prayer in that u21 game. Half the lads are'nt available for one reason or another . Columbia have a hot u21 team too.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
There probably are plenty of good English players out there, but

a) You either have to buy them before they reach Puberty, look at the kid Samba, they are talking of a 1.5 million move to Liverpool for a 15 year old, or

b) pay an over the top price for them, a prime example is Heskey, yes a good player, but 11 million is a joke when Spurs have just signed Rebrov, a proven champions league scorer, for the same price.

My point is that you either have to take a gamble on the youngsters before they've played a season or 2 of football, or you are going to pay 3-4 times their actual value.

Personally I think Heggem is an excellent player, I'll give you that Song and Ferri, have not been inspired players.
Smicer has not played for most of the season, and will when fit prove what a class player he is. Meijer was always bought as a squad player, he was free, experienced and a dedicated professional. Personally I think Meijer was brought in to show the English what the squad rotation was all about. I do however agree that his inability to score in the premiership is extremely dissapointing.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Why would anybody call Vegard Heggem a failure? sure,he didnt play much this year but last year he was BY FAR our best player,we all know that he deserves more chances.About Song,he has had so many solid performances that "fail" is a really harsh word on him.Both of them were bought really cheap,what soul do 3 and 2.5 million pounds have...

Heggem is still one of the best right backs in PL.Just PLAY HIM!

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Another thing is, that Song was probably a stop gap player, he couldn't get hold of Hyppia, Henchoz or Babbel at the time so Song was bought to improve on the shakey Babb and co!
You have to admit Elizabeth that Song is far better than Babb and the rest of the backline before Houllier arrived?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wouldnt' say song is a failure...some of his matches have been pretty gd..others ..not so good..

anyway elizabeth..most of the players u mentioned were bought as stop-gap measures..or have been suffering from injuries
smicer, heggem have suffered a lot of recurrent injuries..

meijer was brought in mainly as squad player
ferri --dunno much about him..all i c is that he's no longer here...
song-maybe on his way out anyway..besiktas is rumoured to bid 5M for him..so almost twice the buying price!
which means he hasn't been a failure if his price has soared !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts