Xtratime Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, it's Parma-Lazio, and after the home night parties against the top two teams (with the Florence break), let's go back to the Sunday afternoon away games routine, this time at the Tardini in Parma. This season we won away from the Olimpico just once, and I don't think we are going to make it two after this match. That's going to be a meaningful game for Parma, almost meaningless for Lazio. The home team not only will be very hungry for points, but will have the extra-motivation of honouring the fan who tragically died last Sunday, and no one better than us Lazio fans know what that extra-motivation can do, since in the Lazio-Parma match (the first game played after Gabriele's death) the scorer was no one elss than Fabio Firmani (one of the worst players at Lazio) who netted a last minute (or thereabouts) goal.
Personally, I would like Rossi to field some players who has not featured often, such as Rozenhal, Meghni and Tare, but I have some doubts Rossi will field them. Anyway, if just to test some players, I would like to see these players starting:

Muslera (and by the way, happy birthday to Marco, 44 and still playing!)

Zauri (for a half, at least)
Siviglia
Rozenhal
Radu

Mudingayi
Ledesma
Mutarelli

Meghni

Tare
Rocchi

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Muslera

Silvestri
Zauri
Radu
Cribari

Mudingayi
Ledesma
Mauri

Pandev

Rocchi
Bianchi

Not sure if all those players play :D

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Both Corriere and Gazzetta have us lining up:

(4-3-1-2)
Ballotta
Zauri-Siviglia-Cribari-Radu
Mudingayi-Ledesma-Behrami
Pandev
Bianchi-Rocchi

although CdS prefers Muslera to Ballotta. Perhaps there's a chance we'll see Mutarelli as well. Channel 4 amusingly refers to our young Romanian defender as Daniel Radu :lala:

Forza LAZIO!

EDIT: the referee is Trefoloni, not a Lazio favourite.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
The current gazzetta line-up which should be the real one has Muslera, Radu as CB and Behrami as RB. The last is kind of annoying as we have De Silvestri and Zauri on the bench and Behrami has been excelllent in midfield. Mutarelli and Mudingayi are a bit too defensive. Let's hope Mutarelli won't be sent off at least this time...

FORZA LAZIO!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2-2 first half. Parma dominated the first half an hour, our defense was crap, especially Berhami. Then Pandev entered the show, first went very close to the equalizer with one of his tricks, and then scored a great goal. And after Bianchi's long distance rockets, it's official: Lazio have the best shooters in Serie A. Parma make it 2-2 with a header from Paci, courtesy of a cross from Cigarini (man of the match so far, I think)

FORZA LAZIO

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Rather shocking defending from us thus far, we are almost lucky we are not losing, even though we could well have ended the half with a lead. Maybe subbing Cribari for Rozenhal or Siviglia will be a very good idea.

Mutarelli with two assists after he stole the ball, nice to see him not frustrated by the recent red card but I guess the guy is used to being sent off. ;) Bianchi with a great goal, this should boost his confidence. Muslera with soem nice saves but seems somewhat nervous, I can't really blame him for any of the goals, though. Rocchi is a bit isolated and today doesn't seem to be Kolarov's day.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Well, a point is not bad at all considering we had something like two chances to score all game and up until Rozenhal and Zauri came on our defence struggled a lot. Rocchi was a ghost all game, Pandev total non-entity in the second half, the fullbacks did not support the attack much and as a result we had more possession but way fewer chances to score.
The positives are that we are now 10 points away from the relegation zone and we are virtually saved. Muslera was not disastrous in a Serie A game which was his first since the Milan catastrophe. Someone needs to tell him not to come out to punch the ball when it's on the edge of the area, though. Rozenhal really improved our defence while Zauri and Mutarelli showed some of what made them vital part of the team which finished third last season. With Dabo I think we will look a lot better, his return has surely opened my eyes for Mudingayi's flaws - we can't really expect to create much when not on a counter with Mutarelli and Mudi. Ledesma did an awful lot of dirty work in defence but his long passes were quite exasperating...not that he had much choice but to try them.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was positively impressed by Rozenhal today, not that to be good amongst Lazio defenders today was such a feat, but nevertheless... Muslera... I don't know, today he did a few good saves, but he still doesn't give me that sense of safety. At the end of the day, 2-2 is a good result, during the first half an hour I was really going to throw the remote control against the wall, such clueless was our performance. Gasbarroni made Behrami look like a Serie C1 right back, I hope Rossi understands that Valon is essentially a midfielder.

FORZA LAZIO

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Yes, a midfielder we could have used in the place of Mudingayi today, unless Behrami was injured from the very start (since he came off holding his thigh looknig in pain).

I will reiterate - we need to choose and stick to starting back four, today only Cribari retained his spot and position from the Inter game and even the subs were not those who started against Inter, we need some continuity. Add to that a new goalkeeper and no wonder we looked clueless in defence for long periods of the game. versatility is great and all but we can't shift Radu and Behrami's positions so often and expect them to perform on the same level.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
39,179 Posts
I didn't get to see the match but a draw is not a bad result, all things considered.

As the season draws to a close we can be sure of survival and -- through the Coppa -- still have a chance of European football next season.

Next week it's Siena at home, then Catania and Juve away, then Palermo at home, Genoa away and finally Napoli at home. If we can win the home games and draw the away games, there's another 12 points in it, which should be quite sufficient to round off a strange but memorable season.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, finishing about 50 points would be a good end, taking in consideration how table situation looked a couple of months ago. Now in the Serie A train we are in the same wagon with Atalanta, Genoa and Palermo, whereas a few weeks ago we were in the same company with the likes of Empoli, Cagliari and Livorno. As for yesterday's game, I think that ioverall it was not a good performance by Lazio, but a few good things we can be content with are:

- Muslera: his debut in Serie A would have killed the carieer of most goalkeepers, but he's very young and yesterday has shown to be a good keeper, he has still to improve though. At the moment he is a decent reserve goalkeeper.

- Zauri: the captain is back, just in time for the Coppa Italia semifinal. Not that we haven't replacement for the captain on the backs, but his presence is quite important. He and Rozenhal improved Lazio's defense well yesterday.

- Rozenhal: when he came on yesterday, Parma's domination in the air was over. Rossi said that the remaining matches this season will be useful to see who's going to stay at Lazio. From what I saw yesterday, he may be one of those who will still wear the Eagles' shirt next season. Ad maiora.

- Bianchi: hopefully yesterday's goal was the beginning of Bianchi's return to the goal-machine he used to be at Reggina. And it was good to see how his team-mates hugged him after his 25 metre rocket.

- Change of form: needless to say, only a couple of months ago we would have lost this match. Now, with injured players recovering, good physical form and also a wee bit of luck, we managed to get a draw after a terrible start.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
It's funny how many games with teams who have almost nothing to play for we will have until the end of the season - Genoa, Palermo, Napoli, most likely Siena, too.

And it was good to see how his team-mates hugged him after his 25 metre rocket.
Not good to see how he yelled at Rocchi after the latter made a bad cross, though. This time Pandev combined with him quite a lot, though, for a change mroe than he did with Rocchi which is weird. Talking of Rocchi, he remained a captain despite Zauri's coming on to the pitch, I am not sure if this is just how this goes in principle with any captain or we just switched captains once again.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I've never seen a player give up the captain's armband in the middle of the game unless he's subbed...I'm not even sure if it's allowed.

An ok result, I'm glad we didn't lose to my least favourite small Italian team. Rest of the Serie A is quite boring for us now...the Juve game is the only one I'm really looking for. Also Napoli a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts