Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parma 02/03

What do you think Parma should do in the summer? A complete overhaul or just a few minor changes? The question is maybe harder than what you think. It's obvious that we haven't had the right attitude in the team and for this the more experienced players should be blamed. I think much might be Cannavaro's fault. I'm sure he's been less than thrilled to be the only one of the "superstars" to still be with us. Especially when things turned sour right from the start of the season. It's just now when we risk relegation they finally give their all. But then again, we do have 29 points from the last 17 games. That form over the entire season would have given us 58 points and maybe a CL spot. (Bologna have 49 with four games to go.) So maybe much of the blame goes to Ulivieri (for treating players like Micoud and Bogho badly) and Passarella (for obvious reasons) as well. We were very lucky to have Carmignani there to save our asses.

Here are my views on what to do with the squad:

Players out:

I'll start with the obvious.

1. This is the right time to sell Cannavaro. He's not happy and isn't playing well. I also have the nasty feeling that his attitude rubs off on the other players. If the captain isn't willing to fight then how can you ask the younger players to take over and lead the team?

2. Almeyda should go as well. I think he doesn't have his heart in Parma and although he appear to give his all during the games I still think something is missing. Maybe he's not the same player he were as before the injuries? He would also bring in quite a few dollars and that's also a plus.

3. Maini and Gurenko are not good enough and must go.

4. Mboma, Milosevic, Torrisi, Mangone, Falsini and Poggi should never set their foot in Parma ever again.

Then a few of my personal opinions who are maybe less than obvious. :)

1. I love Boghossian as much as the next guy but time has come for him to leave. He's injury prone and we have too many midfielders to be able to offer him much playing time. He will move on a free transfer and I hope he can get a really good contract for a quality side in England or something.

2. Micoud has been a big reason to why we're looking to be a Serie A side also next season. We should never forget his contribution and I really hope he'll get to go to the world cup. However, I don't think he can be guaranteed first team action next season. I like "Diesel" and his creativity who's superior to our other players, including Nakata.

3. Sensini is reaching the end of his playing career. He's good when we're dominating as we have a player at the back who can start plays and keep the ball within the team. But when we face strong teams we suffer. He lacks speed and aerial strength. I think he has two options. The first is to stay in Parma and maybe be assistant coach for a few years before he can take over as coach. That would be my prefered scenario as I love the guy. The second option for him would be to accept Boca's offer and play one or two seasons in Argentina. Even if he does this I hope he returns to Parma as soon as he retires.

So IMO the following players should leave.

Cannavaro
Almeyda
Gurenko
Maini
Mboma
Milosevic
Torrisi
Poggi
Falsini
Mangone
Boghossian
Micoud
Sensini

Of the players we currently have, or own, I think these should be confirmed in our squad for next season.

Goalkeepers:
Frey
Taffarel
De Lucia

Defenders:
Ferrari
Djetou
Bonera
Benarrivo
Junior
Sartor
Diana

Midfielders:
Lamouchi
Appiah
Nakata
Marchionni
Bolano
Bresciano(?)

Strikers:
Di Vaio
Sukur
Bonazzoli

These are 19 players I think. We would need 6 more IMO. 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 1 striker (Marchionni can also play as striker).

My choices right now.

Defenders: Zauri and Adani
Midfielders: Doni, Damiano Zenoni and Tedesco (Amo's favorite! ;)).
Striker: Maccarone

Financially I don't think there would be any problems to go through with this.

Anything you'd like to change or add?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Nice Marten... :)

I agree on all the players you mentioned. Big thank you to Cannavaro, Sensini, Boghossian for their time at the club but they need to go. Micoud and Almeyda had their moments but they should go as well. The guys who are currently away on loan should not return, agreed.

Analysis position by position:

GOALKEEPER

I think we can all agree that Frey is the man and should stay. Taffarel's contract ends and he will be let go to Brazil to finish his career. The club has already decided to bring back Guardalben and I'm fine with it. De Lucia can be the third goalkeeper.

Conclusion (starters in bald, new players in italic): Sebastien Frey, Matteo Guardalben, Alfonso De Lucia

RIGHT BACKS

Probably the best natural right back combo in the league we have here. Sartor and Diana are both very good players with Sartor being stronger at defence but Diana being able to attack more. I expect Diana to raise his game significally next season and hence I'll note him down as starter, but this doesnt mean Gigi is out of question. In an extra-emergency situation both Ferrari and Bonera could play there.

Conclusion: Aimo Diana, Luigi Sartor

CENTRAL DEFENCE

There are few clear things here. Cannavaro and Sensini are going, Bonera is coming. The prospect of Ferrari and Bonera playing together like in U-21 excites me as much as everyone but we'll possibly need some experience during the season because I doubt both of them can have good form constantly and Ferrari does have the occasional injury problem. Adani is ideal. He is a fine defender with lots of experience and wants to play for us. Plus he is cheap. Now, I do appreciate Djetou and what he has done for us but I have two objections: a) I'm worried whether his style would suit a 4 man defence. He is too short and while an excellent man marker his positioning in zonal defence is not ideal. Its a fact that Martin has had his worse games with us the few times we played a 4 man defence. b) I doubt he would accept a role as 3rd or possibly 4th defender. Martin came here to be a starter and this is what he has been till now. Financially speaking, it makes much sense to sell Djetou who will bring us a fair pack of money (more than what we paid for him-we got him cheap) and get a cheaper and more eager guy to be 4th choice. I have nothing against Djetou performance apart from the fact that he has been member of a very average defence but it would be better if he would go for financial and style reasons. His replacement? I think Paolo Cannavaro, despite his fine season at Verona, is not ready. While he is a very good man marker and he is amazing (YES! AMAZING for his age!) in going forward and contributing to the attacking game of his team, his positioning is that of the typical young central defender: bad. So we should let him one more year to mature even more at Verona. Mohammed Gargo of Udinese seems to be a target and I'm fine with it. He is not very talented but he is damn strong, fast and can sure as hell defend. Good player, who will come cheaply (especially if Udinese gets relegated) and who wont have a problem sitting on the bench. Another name I dare to suggest is Fabio Bilica of Venezia. Same story as Gargo: cheap, strong, fast and can defend. Sure, he is erroneous but he has skills which can be developed. Finally, there is always Benarrivo in case of emergency.

Conclusion: Matteo Ferrari, Daniele Bonera, Daniele Adani, Mohammed Gargo

LEFT BACKS

We definitely need a left back. Junior is a fine player but we need someone who can defend in case we want to hold on a score, because this is my ideal combo of full backs, one defencive and one attacking, exactly like we have at the right with Sartor and Diana. We don't seem all that interested in Zauri anymore and our other target, Armand of Nantes said he will stay in France. So perhaps we should look in South America for someone since Serie A has a big lack of that. As an idea, Venezia's starting left back Stefano Bettarini (gialloblu suggested him some time ago I think :)) is VERY good and underrated. He is big, strong, fast, has a great cross and can tackle. He is 29 I think though... But anyway, he will be cheap and is a good player. I'd prefer Zauri of course. Or we can see someone interesting in the World Cup? :) Then, there is Benarrivo in case of emergency.

Conclusion: Junior, Stefano Bettarini, Antonio Benarrivo

RIGHT WING

One name: Marco Marchionni. Our undisputed starter next season. For his back up, VERDI suggested Damiano Zenoni- We dont need him. We can bring back Matuzalem instead who is as good and far more versatile since he can play on both wings, in the center and also both attacking more withdrawn depending on the occasion. Matuzalem could be our "joker". Valuable player to have on the bench. So, no need for Zenoni. Mark Bresciano can also give us some minutes there and so can Lamouchi.

Conclusion: Marco Marchionni, Mark Bresciano, (Franzelino Matuzalem)

DEFENCIVE MIDFIELDERS

Almeyda and Boghossian are out. I also think Bolano has to go. He has been giving his all every time he plays but he is just not good enough and takes valuable minutes away from Appiah. Appiah is obviously the one. The player we should (and I believe we will) bring in Giovanni Tedesco of Perugia :))). He is a quality player, in both ends of the pitch. A tiredless runner, who can construct some game and win balls. His price is reasonable and he could also come in a become captain right away. I'd be delighted if we got him. Perugia's president Gaucci is repeating all the time that Tedesco will be gone in the summer, GRAB HIM! He is not young (I think he is 28 or 29 now) but I smell a "Lamouchi" if you know what I mean.

Conclusion: Giovanni Tedesco, Stephen Appiah

CENTRAL MIDFIELDER

Micoud is gone. That leaves us with Lamouchi and Nakata. Bresciano could also play there and so could Matuzalem. We're apparently covered, but I wouldn't mind one more aditional player for cover and safety, there are minutes for everyone. Plus since I can't see us getting Doni, I think Nakata should be used in a free role on the left. So unless we're able to get Brighi (which I doubt), get Maresca from Juve in the Cannavaro deal. Lippi hates him and Maresca perfectly fits our policy of young players. Plus, he can also be employed in a more defencive role even though he is basically a regista. Matuzalem can cover even more. Anyhow, I'll opt for Nakata as left midfielder. I'll give Maresca the nod over Lamouchi as starter, but thats just to make it more fancy! :D

Conclusion: Enzo Maresca, Sabri Lamouchi, (Hidetoshi Nakata), (Franzelino Matuzalem)

LEFT MIDFIELD

Doni would be an awesome signing. I have some serious doubts if we can get him though or even if we want to considering his age and price, but the guy is class, no doubt about that. He will offer some serious creativity and also several goals which our strikers fail to score. Anyhow, I think we won't get him so I'll hand the role to Nakata, in a free role, similar of what Doni has at Atalanta. As for his back up? I'd bring Alex back who I feel would be great in that role. And as always, Matuzalem can also help.

Conclusion: Hidetoshi Nakata, Alex, (Franzelino Matuzalem)

ATTACK

Di Vaio is the only sure starter. We generally expected much more from both Sukur and Bonazzoli, but I suppose we can't do much more than trust them. As for reinforcements? Maccarone will cost too much so I suggest we go for Chievo's Max Marazzina instead who is a very decent player. Him, along with Di Vaio as starters with the two big men as back up.

Conclusion: Marco Di Vaio, Massimo Marazzina, Hakan Sukur, Emiliano Bonazzoli

Debth chart:

GK Frey
Guardalben
De Lucia

RB Diana - CB Ferrari - CB Bonera - LB Junior
RB Sartor - CB Adani - CB Gargo - LB Bettarini + LB&CB Benarrivo

RM Marchionni - DM Tedesco - CM Maresca - LM Nakata
RM Bresciano - DM Appiah - CM Lamouchi - LM Alex + RM&CM&LM Matuzalem

FW Marco Di Vaio - FW Max Marazzina
FW Hakan Sukur - FW Emiliano Bonazzoli

My two cents... :)

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Very nice reports there guys :D
I don't really have much feedback as it was well summed up.
I would like to see Appiah play more of a role this coming season, maybe alongside Lamouchi in the center.

I would like to keep Nakata and Micoud even though they have been linked away from the club.

Like VERDI said, I love Cannavaro, my fave player, but for the offer we are getting and the age of him, I think we should sell him. He hasn't got the love fore the club he had, and he deserves to win the title, and we won't be challengers for a few years yet.

I would love to keep Frey as he has been one of the better players this season, but if he was to leave I would like to see Carini fill his boots.

I want Ferarri to stay and him and Bonera could make a good partnership.

Also, I think we should call Alex and see how he does, we have nothing to lose there.

I think that Marchionni will improve much more next season, and will be a star for years to come.

My overall conclusion is that, our team for next season is looking better, we seem to have some good young players on our books, and around 2 years time, if we keep them, we should be real challengers, I think the future looks good for Parma, and hopefully we will our first Scudetto!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Amo: I'll get you for dropping Lamouchi!! :fero: ;)
Seriously he should be our captain next season.

About the team next season I think along the same line as most of you. Bring in cheap underrated players that does the job. I know that isn't a flattering description, but hey. We have to glue togheter a team, a base to build upon. This is sadly lacking today and until we have such a functioning team there's noway we'll get results.

About the formation most agree that a tilted 4-4-2 is what we should play.
Which means that in attack, the leftmidfielder goes into the pitch and takes a playmaker role while the left defender runs up the pitch and takes the wing. The resting defenders move into the pitch to cover the left. To sum it up it means we play 4-4-2 in defence and 3-4-1-2 in attack. Of course it isn't as precise and simple in reality, but this is how it would work.

I personally prefer that we play a wide 4-4-2 with real wingers. "Chievo style" if you want. This means we get much faster attacks. If implementet correctly it's also harder to defend against since the whole pitch is used in attacks.

There are some problems that needs fixing in this though, namely that if we are to play a offside trap in defence the players would have to know eachother good. And that could be a problem for us.
Also we would have to find a fast leftwinger that can get passed his man and also make a decent cross. And those players are very rare actually.

But as I've said a few times earlier, the most important thing in the summer is that we get a good longterm coach. Someone who can stay for longer then just November. And even if we have another crap season we should stick with the coach, because we never gonna make it changing coaches as often as changing underware. It can take a season before results show with a new coach. So that's the most important thing.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Couple of things in your post that I don't understand, Amo.

First, Gargo. He's a walking disaster. He's got potential but has to play regularly to fulfill it. For the substitute role I'd go for an experienced player from a relegation-bound or Serie B side. There will be many good ones available...

Second, Maresca. Lamouchi is three times the player Maresca is. Plus Maresca is an ******* and in a young team like next year's Parma is going to be that might cause trouble...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Perhaps you're right on Gargo needing to play regularly to fullfill his potential. He is certainly a "Roque Junior" if you know what I mean, great athletic body, nice skills for a defender, but completely mindless. I just can't come up with a better name for a cheap solution to be 4th back up...

I think you underrate Maresca a bit. Lippi hates him and from what I've been told in Juventus he has never played his real position, aka regista (like Albertini, without being a waste of time and space :)). Lippi has used him as an attacking midfielder, even left midfielder! :dazed: Anyway, with the Italian U-21 he is being really imperial in a play-maker role in midfield and you can see he has the quality. About him being an *******, perhaps. But they said so about Frey and Frey has been very nice.

I do agree that right now Lamouchi is better though and he would be my starter, as I said, I put Maresca just for fun as a starter. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I've indeed seen Maresca only as an attacking midfielder...I always thought that's his "natural" position.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Thats how Lippi is playing him, but its not his natural position. Glen is furious with that. :)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I agree in most points with you guys!:)
Like enola said, a long term coach is a must!!!
But I think, very much depends on the Canna transfer:
If he joins Milan and we get Pirlo and Donati we should sell Nakata. If he joins Juve and we get Maresca it´s again a different situation!
BTW I would keep Bogho!
You can´t play only with U23 players! You need some experience and IMO Lamouchi and Di Vaio is too little so Bogho could play an important role on and especially off the pitch! He could be the man to integrate and lead the youngsters!

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Odd that an english paper say that he's close to Man U... :rolleyes: Cannavaro has said that he wants to win Lo Scudetto before he returns to Napoli. I might be wrong but the chances of winning Lo Scudetto in Manchester is not that high, right? :) I'm sure Canna wouldn't value an english championship victory as high as a Scudetto. Not in a million years...

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Interesting but kinda bullsh*tish article from Calciomercato re: Parma 2002-2003...

Well, according to this Luigi Guelpa dude Sacchi and Prandelli had dinner together in a restaurent last week, he says Luciano Zauri of Atalanta was with them :)eek:!!)... Here is the article:

Prandelli e Sacchi disegnano al ristorante il nuovo Parma

Arrigo Sacchi disegna il nuovo Parma in vista della prossima stagione. Le operazioni di mercato sono state preparate a tavolino la scorsa settimana, anzi, a dire il vero, davanti ad una tavola imbandita in un ristorante con Claudio Prandelli, nuovo tecnico dei ducali per la prossima stagione. Alla cena avrebbe preso parte (il condizionale e' d'obbligo) anche un nuovo rinforzo per la prossima stagione, il jolly dell'Atalanta Luciano Zauri.

PORTIERI: se parte Frey (che vanta estimatori all'Arsenal) potrebbe arrivare Matteo Sereni, desideroso di rientrare in Italia dopo una stagione all'Ipswich Town. Da verificare la situazione di Claudio Taffarel, richiesto dall'Atletico Mineiro. Affascinante l'ipotesi Alfonso De Lucia, protagonista di una prova piu' che incoraggiante all'esordio contro il Milan a San Siro.

DIFESA: rigorosamente in linea con Diana o Sartor a destra, Bonera del Brescia in posizione centrale. Al suo fianco, con la partenza di Cannavaro (Juve) ecco Adani della Fiorentina. Sulla sinistra via libera a Zauri dell'Atalanta. L'esperto Sensini e il giovane Ferrari sono alternative importanti. Piace il mancino del Boca Juniors Clemente Rodriguez.

CENTROCAMPO: da destra a sinistra Marchionni, Almeyda, Brighi (che rientrerebbe nell'operazione Cannavaro) e Junior. Dall'Empoli ecco l'australiano Bresciano. C'e' un sogno impossibile chiamato Perrotta.

ATTACCO: difficilmente rimarra' Di Vaio. Bonazzoli sara' titolare inamovibile. A Sacchi piace Julio Cruz del Bologna. Sondaggio per Elber del Bayern Monaco.

Luigi Guelpa

TRANSLATION:

Prandelli and Sacchi design the new Parma at restaurant.

Arrigo Sacchi designed the new Parma in view of next season. The operations of the transfer market were prepared "on a table" last week, although, to tell the truth, in front of a real table at a restaurant with Claudio Prandelli, new coach of Parma for the next season. In the dinner also participated also a new reinforcement for the next season, Atalanta's jolly (=player who can play many positions) Luciano Zauri.

GOALKEEPERS: If Frey leaves (he is estimated a lot at Arsenal) Matteo Sereni could arrive, who wishes to return in Italy after one season with Ipswich town. The situation of Taffarel is still to clarify, he is wanted by Atletico Mineiro. Excites the case of Alfonso De Lucia, protagonist of a more than encouraging game in his debut against Milan at San Siro.

DEFENCE: Rigorous defencive line with Diana or Sartor at the right, Bonera of Brescia as central defender. In his side, with the departure of Cannavaro (who is going to Juventus) will be Adani of Fiorentina. At the left, the way is open for Zauri of Atalanta. The experienced Sensini and the young Ferrari will be important back ups. Boca Juniors' full back Clemete Rodriguez is very liked.

MIDFIELD: from the right to the left Marchionni, Almeyda, Brighi (who will be included in the Cannavaro deal) and Junior. Here is the Australian Bresciano from Empoli. There is an impossible dream called Perrotta.

ATTACK: Difficult for Di Vaio to stay. Bonazzoli will be inmovable starter. Sacchi likes Julio Cruz of Bologna. Attempt for Elber of Bayern Munich.
What a load of bull****. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Calciomercato's view on Parma next sesaon

That Luigi Gelpa guy over at Calciomercato thinks this will be our starting lineup next season:

________Bonazzoli___Cruz/Elber/Di Vaio

_Junior____Brighi_____Almeyda_____Marchionni

_Zauri_____Adani____Bonera______Diana/Sartor

______________Frey/Sereni

He's not too far from the truth I think. Although I don't think Almeyda will or should stay.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I just posted a, much, shorter version of that in the 02/03 thread. :)

I think that thread should be made sticky and then we could post rumours and stuff there.

Why do you think it's bull btw? I've seen much worse articles.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
No mention of Lamouchi or Nakata. Almeyda is supposed to be a starter (remember how furious Tanzi was?), Frey and Di Vaio are leaving and we're after... Elber? :rolleyes:

Sereni

Diana - Bonera - Adani - Zauri

Marchionni - Brighi - Almeyda - Junior

Bonazzoli - Julio Cruz

I really hope this is not the team :(

Which thread we should make sticky? I can merge this and the Parma 2002/2003 threads and make that sticky.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, obiously he didn't get everything right but considering what we've had to read before it was quite good. Besides, maybe Tanzi was more furious with Nakata than Almeyda. I mean, after that Nakata has improved dramatically. Something that could mean that Tanzi was right. We're just fans Amo, we don't know the behind the scenes stuff...

He doesn't say that Di Vaio and Frey WILL leave, just that they could. And how can you say that they won't when you think back on last summer? They promised that all three of Buffon, Thuram and Cannavaro would leave...

Obviously I hope Lamouchi will stay. But maybe it's Brighi OR Lamouchi? Or do you think we could play both?

As for the strikers I must admit that I would be happy if we bought Elber. :)

As for the sticky stuff I suggest my thread. :D (The topic title of this thread is maybe less suited... ;))

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Thread made sticky. Any general speculations or line up ideas can be posted here. Individual rumors can still be posted in the main forum. :)

Anyway, Zauri is a good signing if we get him. He is quite overrated but he can play on every single position in defence and midfield, which makes him quite usefull.

Aren't we supposed to get Marazzina if Di Vaio is sold? And we can't get Elber... :(

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
There is already an agreement for Verona to buy the second half of Seric's share. At least this is what their president claimed.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts