·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both teams seem to be hitting their stride at the right time:D

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Chilavert is out of this match.Tavarelli will take his place.

I see a win for thee Paraguayans and not a difficult one.Three points in the bag...let's hope!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Kostas said:
Chilavert is out of this match.Tavarelli will take his place.

I see a win for thee Paraguayans and not a difficult one.Three points in the bag...let's hope!
In your dreams! Speaking conservatively, perhaps a draw 1-1. But, I think more it will be a win for Spain 1-0 or 2-1.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If Spain wins the game between Paraguay and South Africa, then we are in the Twilight Zone;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
lol:D :D :D :D

anyways

paraguay 2 south africa 0

santa cruz 1
acuna 1

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Paraguay is in this WC to kick some :ass: and to win lots of games .. with that in mind Paraguay over S Africa without any hassles ...

:cool:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Gabemar said:
If Spain wins the game between Paraguay and South Africa, then we are in the Twilight Zone;)
hehe,nice:D
This zone must not be on earth...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Mendieta said:

In your dreams! Speaking conservatively, perhaps a draw 1-1. But, I think more it will be a win for Spain 1-0 or 2-1.
Mendieta,i think you love a lot to see Spain winning every game...and them that they don't play:D

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Kostas said:

Mendieta,i think you love a lot to see Spain winning every game...and them that they don't play:D
You seem to be pretty confident yourself that Paraguay is going to have an easy time against Spain. We all know that Spain does usually screw up, but we also know they are not an easy team to beat. Just ask France! Besides, Chilavert is talking as if they defeated Spain in the last WC. As far as I remember Spain tied 0-0 with Paraguay who sat back and defended the whole game. So, how can you say it should be an easy win for Paraguay? I know Paraguay is a stronger team from the last WC, but so is Spain. Back then we didn't have Tristan, Valeron, Baraja, etc... As I said dream on cause your dreaming. It ain't gonna be an easy game for either side.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Mendieta, I'm sure Spain can beat Paraguay on any given day & vise versa, but I think your missing the point here.

In this thread we are disscussing the winner of Paraguay Vs South Africa. ;)

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Super Puyol said:
Erm, good morning, Mendieta! Spain has nothing to do in a Paraguay Vs. South Africa game, does it?:D
Doh! Sorry guys, I must of had a few too many beers! I thought I was reading Spain vs. Paraguay. Man, I must get glasses. Sorry Kostas, didn't mean to start a debate over the wrong topic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
South Africa 2 Paraguay 0

Keep an eye on S Africas young forward, Zuma. This kid is very talented, he will make the Guarani defense look ancient.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
doubtfull ayala and gamarra
will eat him alive;)

paraguay 2 south africa o

santa cruz will make the south africans tremble

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I predict a 1 - 0 victory for Paraguay.

I think Paraguay are the better team but not by much. South Africa don't seem as strong as at the previous World Cup, however they will be well organised and hard to break down thanks to the heavy European influences in the South African camp.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Paraguay-South Africa
News Archive

05/31/2002. BACKGROUND

Paraguay's build-up to this first phase clash with South Africa has been anything but relaxed.

First-choice goalkeeper and senior figure in the side Jose Luis Chilavert has been spouting off about how group rivals Spain 'aren't going to do anything' and claiming he will score against them when the sides meet on June 7. He won't even play in this match, though, due to suspension.

Star midfielder Roberto Acuna should be fit for the clash although he'll hardly be in the best of spirits. The 27-year-old has just been relegated with Real Zaragoza and banned for seven matches after kicking a Villarreal fan in one of his side's final matches of the season. Paraguay badly need him on form as he gives so much from the right side of the midfield with his organisational abilities and bull like spirit.

Coach Cesare Maldini has enjoyed anything but a quiet introduction into his job, with many even calling for his head. The 4-0 defeat to England certainly damaged morale, although the recent 2-1 win over Sweden did much to lift the country's spirits. Young Roque Santa Cruz was particularly impressive in that game and it is his shoulders on which many of the nations' hopes lie.

As if the World Cup build-up hasn't been turbulent enough, Antonio Colman Rodriguez, vice president of the Paraguay Soccer Association, was hospitalised on Thursday after complaining of a chest pain.

South Africa are fancied by few to progress past the first phase. Paraguay president Luis Gonzalez Macchi has even described Jomo Sono's men as the worst side in the tournament and although this is harsh, he is not entirely off the mark and the bookies agree. Bafana Bafana are the second biggest outsiders for the competition.

They are hardly well-prepared for the tournament either. Sono, who replaced Carlos Queiroz after the side failed to make it past the quarter finals of the African Nations Cup, has rarely fielded his strongest team in the warm-up matches over the past few months so fans should hardly expect to witness a side brimming with continuity. The new coach also admits to not being the game's great tactician. These are not words to inspire.

Still, there is hope. Lucas Radebe is fit for the finals after missing more than a year for Leeds, while Sibusiso Zuma and Benni McCarthy are coveted by many of Europe's elite clubs after some scintillating club displays. Zuma just loves to run and run at defenders, while McCarthy's goalscoring record since going on loan to Sporting Lisbon -twelve goals in eleven games- is more cause for optimism.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Paraguay: 4-4-2- Tavarelli, Arce, Ayala, Gamarra, Caniza, Gavilan, Paredes, Acuña, Alvarenga, Santa Cruz, Cardozo

South Africa: 4-4-2- Vonk, Nzama, Issa, Radebe, Carnell, Zuma, Sibaya, Fortune, Buckley, McCarthy, Nomvete

WHO IS HOT

Paraguay: Roque Santa Cruz put in a good display against Sweden in his side's final warm-up match and together with the more than useful Jose Cardozo, could be a real handful for Radebe and co.

South Africa: Benni McCarthy has been reliving with Sporting Lisbon the kind of form that shot him into the limelight with Ajax in the late-nineties. But just how much support will he receive?

WHO IS NOT

Paraguay: Roberto Acuna may not be in the best of spirits. He will need special treatment in order to play against South Africa and one also wonders just how he'll be effected by his side's relegation from La Liga as well as the seven-match ban handed out to him for ludicrously kicking a fan.

South Africa: Just how fit is Lucas Radebe? Time will tell but after more than a year out of action it would be surprising if he wasn't a yard off the pace in this opening game. Still an inspirational figure for the Bafana Bafana though.

soccerage

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
BUSAN, South Korea, May 31 (AFP)
The key to Paraguay v South Africa:
Can Paraguay survive the absence of Jose Luis Chilavert?
- A rash moment in which larger-than-life goalkeeper Jose Luis Chilavert chose to spit at Brazil's Roberto Carlos and earned himself a four-match suspension into the bargain could weigh heavily against Paraguay's chances of progressing in the World Cup.
Such a commanding presence behind a usually solid defence, an extra option in attack when the going gets tough and a general source of inspiration to his colleagues on the field, Chilabert will be sorely missed and his deuty Ricardo Tavarelli may never have a harder game.
But can South Africa capitalise?
- The absence of all-time record scorer Shaun Bartlett deprives South Africa of their most potent weapon in front of goal - despite the dependable Benni McCarthy filling his shoes. Much will depend on the service from midfield general Quinton Fortune and the new darling of South African football Sibusiso Zuma to McCarthy and Georges Koumanatarakis up front - and their ability to exploit the half-chance against a Paraguayan defensive wall. Otherwise, at the other end, there is always the proven goalscoring ability of Paraguay's Roque Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gamarra is an excellent defender, but Zuma will make an impact very early in the tournament. He is like a young George Weah in his prime. This kid is simply wicked :devil: with the ball

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Whoever lose this match then qualification will look very difficult.

Zuma is really a good player.Surely,he will get a transfer from small Kopenhagen to a bigger club.But Paraguyan defense is still better.They have 3 world class players(Ayala,Gamarra,Arce)that can cause problems to anyone.Look at France in France'98...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts