Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panucci takes Lippi swipe Wednesday 29 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christian Panucci insists the reason for his continual omission from the Italian national squad is laughable.

The Roma stopper has been frozen out of the international scene ever since Marcello Lippi was handed the Italy job after Euro 2004.

Despite arguably being Italy’s best right-back option, Lippi has left him out following an altercation between the pair during their time together at Inter.

“Italy is one of the few countries in the world where a player can be left out because he isn’t liked,” he told Italia 1 on Wednesday.

Although Panucci maintains that he is a better player than Palermo’s Cristian Zaccardo, who Lippi has continually opted for, he’s archived his Azzurri ambitions.

“Is Zaccardo better than me? I don’t really think so,” he commented. “Nevertheless, I’m not wasting my time thinking about it. I’d rather just forget about it.”

The former Milan and Real Madrid ace, capped 48 times by Italy, is now just focusing on Roma’s aim of finishing fourth in Serie A and thus qualifying for the Champions League.

The club are currently fifth in the table, just one point behind Fiorentina who they will face in Florence on Sunday.

“The time has come to achieve our objective,” he added. “We are well up for it and I think we could win or draw at the very least.

“A win for either side would be a decisive one at this stage of the campaign.”

Roma go into the game after collecting a morale boosting 1-1 draw with champions and leaders Juventus on Saturday night.

channel4

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I agree with him. Should Zambro start on the left, then Panucci should start on the right.

·
Banned
734 Posts
panucci is a moron for running his mouth out at lippi at a time when its so vital for players to give a last stich effort to make the squad, its not like he ever had a chance with lippi, but it unimaginally just got worse for him.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
roma/totti said:
panucci is a moron for running his mouth out at lippi at a time when its so vital for players to give a last stich effort to make the squad, its not like he ever had a chance with lippi, but it unimaginally just got worse for him.
How can he be labelled a moron for speaking the truth? He is the best rightback in the country, no questions asked, and is perfectly entitled to be disappointed Lippi's sneaky ways has robbed him of his rightful place in the World Cup.

·
Professional Pirate
7,086 Posts
im seriously just as pissed as pannuci is. why is lippi ignoring him just because of their time in inter? this is the NT...where players AND coaches swollow their pride for the good of the team. didnt he say he doesnt want any prima donnas or egos on the team....maybe he should check on his first.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Panucci is correct in everything he says. I mean to think Zaccardo is the man keeping him out is silly really. When you comapre the seasons these 2 have had then there is no contests and then when you see how Zaccardo plays for Italy sometimes, you must wonder why Lippi has to hold this grudge.

Anyway after that interview, Panucci has no chance now.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
It's exactly this kind of pettiness that I hoped Lippi would avoid. Panucci deserves his place in the team, it would make Italy stronger. Not that it matters, Panucci will have to watch the WC on his TV.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
He has has a good season so far and deserves to be in the squad at least.I reckon Lippi should put his differences aside and pick the best man for the job

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
I find it ridiculous that Lippi doesn't call Panucci for something that happened at club level 5-6 years ago. Does anyone has an idea what the hell happened between them? Did Panucci kill Lippi's dog or something to make him this outraged? :)

Ah well, at least that way Panucci would get more rest in the summer to be ready for the next season.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Imagine Panucci reuniting with Nesta and cannavaro at the heart of our defence again :hopefull: ,Panucci may have a point but at the same time he's really shot himself in the foot and I don't see what's so special about an average Zaccardo.

·
Banned
734 Posts
all this talk about panucci being there is sad, because our defence is really hurting, nesta is 29, cannavaro is 32, zambrotta is 28...where is the future after this.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
not sure about panucci being teh best right back in the country, but just like many others, he is a decent right back.

maybe lippi feels he has had his time for italy?? but then again, havent many others who have been there many times before?

Lippi has his heart set on Zambrotta for the right back role since he took over the NT. And to top that, he probably sees Zaccardo as the future and Panucci being too old now.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I just hope Zaccardo isnt the future, even if he is a decent player.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
One question

Is Panucci better than Zambrotta or Oddo?

that should end the discussion...i don't see what the big deal is

Panucci knows Lippi holds grudges. I can['t understand how he thought he would ever get a call.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I dare anyone to find a non-Roma fan that will say Panucci is a better player than Zambrotta

That's a F**Kin joke

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
:D:D oh....and yr avatar is priceless

1 - 20 of 39 Posts