Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panathinaikos has been moving in the trasnfer market and is very close to two players: Swedish midfielder Tobias Linderoth and Croatian left back Roberto Jarni.

Panathinaikos is continuing negotiating with Norwegian club Stabaek about Linderoth on the ground of about 1 million euros. Stabaek is reluctant to sell him but Linderoth appears determinated to move to PAO and his contract expires in the summer so the transfer should be concluded by the end of the week. Linderoth is 23 years old, defencive midfielder and is in contention for a spot in Sweden's squad for the World Cup. Should Linderoth join, he will become the 4th Scandinavian at Panathinaikos' roster after Danes Rene Henriksen & Jan Michaelsen and Finn Joonas Kolkka.

33 years old left defender/midfielder Robert Jarni is a free agent since Spanish club Las Palmas released him. Jarni is well known since he has been an important member of the Croatian NT for years and is set to be a starter at the WC. His career includes an unhappy spell with Real Madrid as well as Real Betis and Las Palmas. It was Jarni hismelf (who is desperate to find a club so he doesnt miss out on the World Cup) apparently who after consulting Goran Vlaovic ordered his manager to "offer" him to Panathinaikos and as soon as Fillipidis learned Jarni was available to join he didnt hesitate to open negotiations. Jarni should arrive in Athens on Tuesday and subject to a medical he will sign a 6 months contract with Panathinaikos holding an option to extend the deal for 1 more year in the summer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linderoth sounds like a good signing, and if we consider the previus players PAO has brought from Scandinavia I am willing to bet Linderoth will be a hit.

I'm quite baffled on Jarni. Sure, he is a good player even at that age (he is still a starter for Croatia,enough said) and sure Panathinaikos lacked cover at the left side, but can Jarni really move Fyssas out of the line up? I seriusly doubt it. Fyssas is having a great season and is an automatic starter. So unless Jarni plays in midfield (though I cant see how, since PAO isnt using side midfielders) he is going to sit on the bench-not good. On top of that, PAO last week signed that teenage left back from OFI, Minas Pitsos, who is said to be a major talent and was enjoying a fantastic season at Crete. So WHY get Jarni? Makes no sense to me.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
Champions League? Hes a big game player with plenty of big game experience, could be helpful, and sometimes a squad needs an injection to fire up again, I think hes the type of player that can provide it

I think he can offer something more than Fyssas, he may be getting on but hes still a class act, and maybe they'll use a wide left midfielder in the team if he joins, b/c he can certainly play that and with fyssas behind makes a strong left side..

abt the young swedish guy, Ive never heard of him so I cant really comment

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I dont dispute Jarni is quality player I just wonder why sign someone in a position they dont need.

And if they use wide midfielder, shouldnt Kolkka play???

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
its like hes for free right? why not sign him on a short term contract?,

perhaps it seems hes not really needed, but like you acknowledge hes a class act and maybe with the WC around the corner he'll be desperate to show off his talent which can only mean gr8 things for the team, Jarni in full flight means why not getting a player thats better in a position than what you already have got no disrespect to Fyssas or Kolkka......Id seriously entertain the notion of picking him on account of if he doesnt produce doesnt matter coz we have Fyssas but if he hits a purple patch he'll be a big help in CL and the battle for second spot in the league, once the season is over and he plays in the WC let him go :)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I'm pretty sure Linderoth is a starter in the Swedish squad, since they play with 2 defensive midfielders

I think he'd be a good addition to the Pao sqaud, since the club he plays for is known for playing a more latin style of football compared to the other teams in the league. I'm pretty sure they played a 4-3-1-2 when his father Anders was coach at the club (he resigned after Stabaek were beaten ...8-2 :eek: ) and a 4-4-2 diamond under the current coach, so he would be quite versitile for Pao whether they play with only 1 defensive midfielder or 2

I agree with Giorgos about Jarni (its an Australian logic thingy :D ). Perhaps they should investigate signing him on loan until the end of the season and re-evaluate after than.

Jarni is obviously a player with great technique an experience. At his age, he could be used as an impact player in the CL, and start occasionally in the league, as his experience will be invaluable if Pao want to get to the CL quarter finals or further (although i favour Sparta Praha at this stage :) )

p.s i should have sent u this info george and u could have posted it. Imagine how good it would have made you look :stuckup: :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
.Linderoth is a very very good player i have seen him many times . He is the new star in Swedish football and can play as left back and defencive midfielder.
A very good signing if PAO finalise the transfer.
As for Jarni he can come and warm the bench:D :D :).

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup hopeful Jarni to discuss PAO switch

Monday 28th January 2002

Croatia star Robert Jarni will fly to Athens on Wednesday for talks with Panathinaikos as he steps up his search for first-team football ahead of the World Cup.

"We have begun discussions but I haven't signed with Panathinaikos yet," said the veteran wing-back.

The Las Palmas oucast, who has also attracted the interest of Serie A sides Brescia and Udinese, is expected to sign a one-year contract with the capital club.

Panathinaikos already have Jarni's Croatia team-mate Goran Vlaovic on their books and he has urged the Greek club to do everything they can to meet the 33-year-old's wage demands.

"He would really add something to the squad," insisted Vlaovic.

PAO are keen to strengthen the left of their midfield ahead of the Champions' League deadline. So far this season, left-back Takis Fyssas has been forced to play almost every match on the wing due to the absence of cover.

Jarni is available on a free transfer after failing to impress Las Palmas coach Fernando Vazquez. The former Real Madrid player fell out with Vazquez in November when he accused him of blocking a proposed transfer to Manchester City.

He has not played for the Spanish club since.

Jarni has nevertheless kept his place in the Croatia team and is desperate to play again before the World Cup.

He saw a move to Kaiserslautern fall through earlier this month when he failed to agree terms with the Red Devils before the German transfer window closed.

Jarni has won a Spanish title with Real and also counts Real Betis and Torino among his clubs. He was an integral part of the Croatia side that finished third at France 98.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
EXCLUSIVE Jarni seals short-term PAO switch

Wednesday 30th January 2002

Croatia full-back Robert Jarni will sign for Panathinaikos on Wednesday after agreeing a four-month deal.

Jarni has failed to command a regular place in the line-up at Spanish club Las Palmas and is desperate to play first-team football to boost his chances of appearing at the World Cup.

He will sign a short-term deal that takes him up to the finals in June, then negotiate a possible extension after the tournament.

"I had my demands," he told onefootball.com. "I wanted to play somewhere but just until the World Cup starts. I had many offers but I refused them because of this option.

"I have agreed with Panathinaikos for the next four months and I wil try to give my best. After that, there will be time to talk about a new contract. It's my risk, isn't it? But I want to concentrate on the World Cup, which will be the last of my career."

The 34-year-old has been linked with a number of European clubs over the past four months, including West Ham United, Kaiserslautern and Manchester City.

His proposed transfer to City fell through after he claimed Las Palmas still owed him large sums in unpaid wages. Despite agreeing to join Panathinaikos, Jarni insisted the matter was not closed.

He said: "I was there (Las Palmas) last week and I saw my good friends. I didn't meet anyone from the club's board, but there was no need because the case has gone to court. My lawyer is convinced that we will win."

The veteran defender then admitted he would relish the opportunity to return to former club Hajduk Split, who are now coached by former international team-mate Slaven Bilic, should he fail to agree extended terms at Panathinaikos.

"One day, when I return from abroad, if they still want me, I'll finish my career at Hajduk," he said.

"Years are not important. What's more important is what you show on the field. I am feeling good and I think that my experience and my hunger for playing will be a great combination."

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ikaros said:
.Linderoth is a very very good player i have seen him many times . He is the new star in Swedish football and can play as left back and defencive midfielder.
A very good signing if PAO finalise the transfer.
As for Jarni he can come and warm the bench:D :D :).
whose position would he take again if he played/started?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts