Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:star:
Serie A upstart Palermo host Roma on Sunday in a battle of two clubs hoping to qualify for Serie A's last CL spot. Let's face it, Inter probably can't be caught, and the best chance for a Roma, Samp or Palermo to qualify for the precious spot is to outlast Udinese.
Sunday's match is a mouth-watering affair, really, of two passionate "southern-style" clubs with high ambitions. Palermo has been very strong at home, and the two clubs tied 1-1 last fall. Look below at Palermo's lineup and discover what a beautiful and ambitious mix of talent they have. The club and Roma society have traditionally been sympathetic toward one another, but now we find ourselves no longer looking down at them, but quite equal indeed in some areas of the pitch. Both clubs have shockingly thin benches when you look at the names on paper.
We are without our captain this week, and it appears Zotti is injured as well, according to Gazetta, which really scares me. The obvious thing is it appears we will really depend on Cassano this week to create something. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts compared to how Totti reacted to his absence vs. Livorno. Hate to say the season is on the line again, but it's hard not to say it - every weekend from here until May.

PALERMO 3-4-2-1
99 Guardalben
2 Zaccardo
43 Barzagli
21 Biava
18 Santana
5 Corini
8 Barone
11 Grosso
10 Zauli
90 Brienza
9 Toni

A disposizione
1 Santoni
6 Terlizzi
25 Conteh
4 Morrone
20 Raimondi
26 Balistrieri
19 Gonzalez

Allenatore Guidolin
Indisponibili
Mutarelli (distorsione al ginocchio, da valutare), Accardi (toilette chirurgica al ginocchio, una settimana), Possanzini (operazione al menisco, 45 giorni); Ferri (distrazione muscolare, 5 giorni).

Squalificati
Nessuno

Diffidati
Barzagli, Corini, Barone.

ROMA 4-3-3
22 Pelizzoli
2 Panucci
31 Dellas
8 Ferrari
25 Cufrè
20 Perrotta
15 Dacourt
4 De Rossi
9 Montella
18 Cassano
30 Mancini

A disposizione
1 Curci
19 Scurto
3 Abel Xavier
23 Aquilani
28 Virga
26 Cerci
11 Corvia

Allenatore Del Neri
Indisponibili
Chivu (convalescenza dopo rottura quinto metatarso piede destro); Tommasi (convalescenza dopo rottura legamenti, 40 giorni), Zotti (infiammazione a un ginocchio, da valutare).

Squalificati
Mexes (fino al 10 aprile), Totti (1)

Diffidati
Mancini, De Rossi

:nervous:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I anticipate this match with great doubts. I honestly can't see how we can avoid losing this match. We're without Il capitano, in my eyes the only consistent driving force we have. I'd be optimistic if our defence was up to it, but it isn't. As if the individual sloppiness wasn't enough, they can't work out together either. Now without the on-form Mexes. I know this doesn't come as a revelation of any sort, but I just felt like reminding myself as well as you guys.

Palermo aren't fantastic either. Quite frankly, I can't see where all this hype comes from beyond their table position. I can agree that they are very, very solid and usually concede few goals at home, but at the same time, I think they lack driving forces - like us this weekend - despite having creative players like Brienza, Zauli and Santana. I've almost only seen 'em in tough games. Perhaps that's why I'm still not that impressed with their offensive game.

And finally, doesn't Guidolin usually use 4 men in defence? Zaccardo right, Grosso left and Biava/Barzagli in centre?

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Totti's absence makes things ten times more difficult. All Palermo have to do is isolate Montella and Cassano, and we're done, we got no other firepower in our artillery right now. And yeah, it's do or die from here on in :nervous:

·
Registered
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5 Corini
8 Barone >>

The midfield battle, and keeping Toni off the score sheet, will be decisive. Perrotta scores for his second match in a row. ;)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think Mancini will b used in this match and it may not be such a bad decision as I expect us to be playing a good percentage of this match on the break. Although without Totti it means Cassano will need to go back for the ball and join Montella in attack quickly. We can win this although a draw is favourite.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
romafan53 said:
Totti's absence makes things ten times more difficult. All Palermo have to do is isolate Montella and Cassano, and we're done, we got no other firepower in our artillery right now. And yeah, it's do or die from here on in :nervous:
totti is the only player in roma who can change the game at any
point

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
i think Cufre should always plays in the left back from now on.. either in 3 or 4 man defence..
Cufre was that piece we've been missing in the defence since the start of the seasone..

SPEED that is.. and Cufre provides it with quality tackles and good covering..

beside if we compare his productivity as a winger ans as a left back.. it'll be obvious that we are wasting alot by playing him in the wing..
he also looks more comfortable in the back..

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Without Totti, Del Neri should stay with the (4-3-3). Mancini should alternate from right winger to 3rd striker throughout the game.

Pelizzoli/Zotti (Both stink so it doesn't matter)
Panucci-Dellas-Ferrari-Cufre'
Perrotta-Dacourt-De Rossi
Mancini-Cassano
Montella

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
according to gazzetta, cufre could miss the match due to injury so new signing abel xavier is set to replace him

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
If Cufre is out, then we are doomed, the defence will be a total mess. :(

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Time to betray and realize that this is the best betting object of the weekend: 3 points to Palermo. :depress:

Unless we can find a solution to a defensive problem that we usually have with our best players except Chivu, players we now have to deal without...:googly: So what exactly are we going to do now? Use Xavier as left back, although he clearly is best with his right foot or use Xavier as right back and move Panucci over to the left side, as he has some experience in that position? I'm perplexed, I don't see any rational solutions here!

And that's just defence. We have a serious offensive problem too. We can opt between Mancini and Corvia to replace Totti. Mancini is perhaps the better player, but I really, really don't like him as forward. He looks completely lost in that position and we end up shapeless and cloddish with him there. Simply because it's unbalanced!

I'd pick Corvia as forward or change the formation to 442 and insert Mancini on right wing and move De Rossi out left. At least De Rossi can overcome the defensive part of that position. And it's not like we're going to lack space and create everything ourselves. In that case, De Rossi would be a bad solution at left wing. We're playing at their turf, thus Palermo need to entertain. If we can stress them with a compact formation and hellraiser counterattacks, we might be able to travel back with a point! I seriously doubt it though :depress:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
We haven't even begun the match yet and some of you are saying we've lost... that's a terrible attitude, sure you can predict the worse, but Cassano is playing and Montella is playing and we may be able to grind out a result with some luck, and some courage. Cufre being out of the line-up only makes it harder, but not impossible. Forza Roma

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
In my eyes Palermo is a team that has a very strong defence and that isn´t that good at dominating the match á la [email protected] (what a rape), so I would like to se Roma attacking, not trying to defend. So I would like to see both Mancini and Corvia in the lineup and one of Dacourt,Perrota or De Rossi on the bench. Also, we really need the 3 points, I think it´s better to go for the 3 points and loose then to try to get away with 1 point.

I don´t know why, but I´m optimistic about this game. Forza Roma! Vogliamo 3 punti!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
No game is impossible. Palermo is a great team and managed to beat Juve. Can not say who has a better margin because both teams have their ups and downs. Palermo though is playing great lately and that scares me.

·
Registered
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read at least three Udinese starters are out w/ the flu vs. Fiorentina this weekend, and I'm hoping it allows us a chance to gain points from them.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Roma has to be a good chance in the game at least. Even without Totti they are probably more dangerous than Palermo going foward.

All they have to do is overcome what has looked like a fairly solid defence away to a team with a pretty good home record. it's possible though :hopefull:

·
Registered
60,542 Posts
I was really looking forward to watch this game as it should be a screamer. But the dullards here will show Juve - Siena live instead... :groan: What a snooze fest, I'll probably take a nap instead of watching Juve play. :yawn:

Well, I'd have to settle for a tape delay then.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts