Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE Palermo positive despite World Cup blow

Saturday 26th January 2002

Argentina striker Martin Palermo is determined to put the broken leg that has ruined his season behind him.

"I was convinced I could've gone to the World Cup but that's life and I've got to recover as soon as possible," he told onefootball.com.

Palermo returned to Spain from Argentina on Saturday, where he has completed the first stage of his rehabilitation.

"I'm going into the key part of my recovery and I'm feeling better than expected. I know that this season is lost but I want to be in good shape for the beginning of the next one. That's my main aim."

The forward broke two bones in his left leg while celebrating a goal in last month's Copa del Rey win over Levante.

The 28-year-old jumped onto a fence after scoring eight minutes into extra-time following the 1-1 draw. It collapsed as the crowd surged forward to celebrate with the player.

He had been pressuring national coach Marcelo Bielsa to pick him as he last appeared for Argentina in the Copa America against Paraguay two years ago.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Great to see that Palermo is on his way back but regardless it was a very foolish injury where Palermo blew his season and any chance of earning a trip to the WC!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts